Elk hunting grizzly country

Beendare

WKR
Some of the areas I've hunted within 50 miles of YNP I think are worse than the AK Islands for the big bears.
We got kicked out of an area a few years back by a posse of F&G on horseback- someone wounded a bear in the next canyon over and they cleared the area.

I hunt the same- out and back in the dark- but my head is on a swivel.

gostovp

WKR
So another question… being that a big part of staying safe in grizz country is avoiding them … is it safer to spike in and camp far off established trails vs hiking in and out in the dark each day ( knowing that grizz like to walk/ hang out by established trails )

OP, what area did you draw?
In my experience, griz encounters have typically been in the morning hours off trail. I know there is evidence that supports grizzlies use established trails, but I have never encountered one on trail, and I have had a handful of run ins.

Head out in the dark with lights on. Same coming back even if you can see.

In non big bear areas I rarely if ever use a headlamp coming or going, I just prefer navigating that way. Big bear area, light is on.

Beendare

WKR
So another question… being that a big part of staying safe in grizz country is avoiding them … is it safer to spike in and camp far off established trails vs hiking in and out in the dark each day ( knowing that grizz like to walk/ hang out by established trails )
My bet is there is more run-in with grizzlies on a trail because people use trails.

In those high density grizzly areas, I do two things One keep a clean camp and two use a electric fence
Edit- 3 actually- and I get the elk out that same day even if I have to pack meat well into the night.

Last edited:

gostovp

WKR
OP, what area did you draw?
In my experience, griz encounters have typically been in the morning hours off trail. I know there is evidence that supports grizzlies use established trails, but I have never encountered one on trail, and I have had a handful of run ins.
Same areas referenced in post #4 in this thread