Elk Hunting/ Family Camping Tent Suggestions?

elkliver

WKR
I have a 12 x 15 Bravo wall tent. Can't recommend enough. once you learn the trick of setting up, it can be done really quickly. With 2 people, tent set up just takes a few minutes. I can do it by myself, but will admit its a lot easier with help

Zach75

FNG
How well can you seal up the bottom of a wall tent for use in snakey/buggy east coast summers?

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 14x16 wall tent with stove and it’s awesome for longer trips and 2+ people but not fun to set up and take down. Last year I got the 10x14 Kodiak and it’s been awesome for shorter trips and a couple guys. Can be set up and taken down in damn near 10 minutes. Nice to have both options. 4 people would be tight in the Kodiak and I don’t think it would be possible using cots.

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, sleeping 4 on cots in a 10x14 Kodiak Canvas can be done. I have done it. My son, his 2 sons and I spent a week camping in a KC on a bird hunt. We did not have a wood stove but we did use a buddy heater just before bed and when we got up in the mornings to take the chill off. Nighttime temps got below 20 degrees. Each man stored his extra clothes and gear in a tote under his cot. We cooked and ate out side. Was tight but we made it and had a great hunt.
I have done 3 on cots several time. Not too bad. Even had room for a small table.

Here are your options: Do you want to hear “Wow great choice dad it’s so cozy in here it’s better than home! Can we do this again?”

Or “Honey I’ve had enough. I’m cold and miserable. Everything is damp. The kids are cranky. Can we leave”

Get the wall tent……

svivian

WKR
I’d go Kodiak cabin tent and buy the awning enclosure so that you can extend your sleeping room. kids can sleep out in the awning area while you and the wife are in the main. The new ones come with a stove jack pre installed.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I have a SpringBar 10x14 I can set up by myself in few minutes. Google their website they have some options for a stove hot tent by I like most just love the convivence of the Big MrBuddy heater. It does the job, no smoke and clean vs the wood, etc. The Springbar is a better design sturdier build than the Kodiak models. Here's mine with the Awning laid back on top for the Grandkids to enjoy a Playhouse/Sleep out autumn day.

1715529113695.jpeg1715529113695.jpeg

Last edited:
As far as wall tents go, you can't beat the price on the Ozark Trail ones. Comes with stove jack too. They occasionally go on sale, I've seen them as low as $250. Set up time is slow in the beginning but once you get some experience, it goes much quicker.

Hey TrinityAlps,

I'm currently looking at this exact tent for my upcoming elk hunt in CO, 3rd rifle. How did this tent do for you? I've read in multiple places that the frame is a little lighter duty that what some may want.

3855WIN

FNG
Kodiak Canvas and a Buddy Heater. You’ll set up in about fifteen minutes after a few times. Order tent stakes off Amazon that can be installed with a cordless drill.

Hey TrinityAlps,

I'm currently looking at this exact tent for my upcoming elk hunt in CO, 3rd rifle. How did this tent do for you? I've read in multiple places that the frame is a little lighter duty that what some may want.
I've used it for one season. I've had it it in 90 degree heat, 50 mph winds, and a few snow storms. Held up great. Make sure to get the one with the stove jack, you'll need the stove for those cold 3rd season nights.

I've got a 10x14 wall tent, haven't used it in 10 years? I set it up alone in about a hourish time alone. Could do it a lot faster, once knowing how to do it. Trying on deciding on selling it now, or keeping jt. Style of hunting has changed, and not sure I'll really use it anymore.
Have you decided to sell it yet?

vladkgb

FNG
Another vote for Kodiak canvas and diesel heater. My Kodiak tent sets up super fast. Forget a wood stove, you gotta be up several times at night feeding your wood stove and it takes up a lot of real estate inside, plus dangerous with the kids.

I went the opposite direction. I ran my Kodiak tent and had the back of my truck packed to the gills. It wasn't very mobile, unpacking and packing up took very long. The tent is huge so required a large flat spot. Breaking down camp and having to Tetris everything in to the truck bed. I also had a grizzly visit outside my tent one night while we were sleeping. No thanks!

I got a toy hauler camper, 21' box. I just park it, get my SxS out and go. To pack up, get the SxS in, hitch up, and go. It has everything I need inside, water, gas, heater, food, clothing etc. no need to unpack and pack again. All it requires is a large flat spot like the Kodiak tent does. This is my Basecamp and I can spike out from it using my SxS.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market for a tent that I can use for both family camping trips (mainly in warmer weather, some in colder weather. 2 adults and 2 kids) and for September and October elk hunts. A fast setup time is of the most importance. In addition, I’d like to have stove capabilities but that isn’t a make or break feature. I’ve looked heavily into the Kodiak VX 10x14. Looked at the Alakanak a bit. Looked at the white duck regattas. And looked into the Kodiak Canvas Cabins. What am I missing here? And what other tents do yall recommend for a reasonably quick set up tent that is good in both the summer and fall/winter months?

Also, is a stove in a tent the way to go? Or would running a propane heater be equally as efficient. We always car camp. We have always had a camper until this year and I’ve always camped in a 1 man polyester tent for hunts. Finally talked the wife into ditching the camper to make us more mobile and less overhead so trying to get this decision right and hoping to find a tent to kill two birds with 1 stone. Thanks in advance!
Check out Beau Baty's Divide series tents at Wilderness Ridge Trail Llamas. They are very high quality, made by Snowtrekker, with internal frame, lots of room, and lightweight (canvas for my 13x13 weighs in at 22 lbs). They are pricey but should last a lifetime like any wall tent with proper care. I picked one up for elk camp as soon as they hit the market a couple of years ago. My 13x13 has lots of room, breathes very well, is 9 ft at the peak, and is easy to heat with a small wood stove. Goes up in 10-15 minutes with minimal stake-out points as these tents have an ingenious pull-out setup that uses horizontal stays and sewn-in sleeves. This allows for an extremely tight setup that stays tight no matter the weather. I've been looking for the perfect pack tent (I pack with llamas) that could hold a few guys, or up to five, since 1998. Started with a multi-section Davis tent that was high quality, but heavier and took two of us almost a full day to set up (was 12x30 w/3 sections and we cut ridge poles, stays, etc. wherever we set camp). Switched to a SO 12-man tipi that was very lightweight but needed a 20 foot circular footprint and was like a sauna when exposed to the sun-also very noisy in storms and required constant adjustment of the multitude of stake-out lines. Beau's tents IMHO are the "cats meow' if you want a serious backcountry elk hunting setup and a good truck camping tent. They also store very easily. Check them out on his website.

Divide Series Tents

1719152573102.png
Wilderness Ridge Trail Llamas
https://wildernessridgetrailllamas.com › Products

Yoteassasin

Lil-Rokslider
There isnt much that haven’t already been said . Im a wall tent with a stove guy nothing makes me feel better than a hot stove after a hard days hunt. I would add
- the stove maters a lot . I have a sheep herder shove for pack trips but a homemade wood stove out of an old 35# propane tank that hears the tent wayyyy better when I’m not running in on stock . My next adventure is going to figure how to make an oil stove to heat with used motor oil . The only thing more homely than a wood stove is an oil stove in a boat . Many a nights crab fishing and the oil stove is a cherished memory
- I once borrowed a tent from a buddies uncle . It was an old Coleman car camping cabin tent (70’s vintage) it was light , set up
Remarkably easy and had men modified to for a side vent stove jack . As I get more and more focused on the weight of my pack gear . I’m thinking something like that is in my future

OP
C
Update: I ended up coming across a can’t miss deal on a Kodiak flex bow. Although it’s only a 9’x8’, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it so far and have camped in 6 different states with it this summer with a family of 4. With it being smaller, super quick and easy to set up and tear down. I also like how the vertical poles are adjustable rather than fixed like the 10x10 and 10x14’s. I’m sure I’ll probably upgrade in the future but for the minimal money I’ve got in it, it’s been awesome. Hunting camp with 2 guys will be the real test. Thanks for all the feedback!

elkliver

WKR
I'd look at a custom Wall tent from Bravo Tents. Have a door put in each end with a screen door. Keeps the yellow jackets out and you can eat in peace. Lets air move through to cool things down. Then in the winter, the wood stove keeps things toasty warm. There are a lot of light weight or pop options but i do not have the faith they will hold up and in really cold weather, a good wall tent with a wood stove is really hard to beat

elkliver

WKR
How well can you seal up the bottom of a wall tent for use in snakey/buggy east coast summers?
There are options where you can have Velcro added to the Sod Cloth of a wall tent and also to your floor and then can seal the floor up pretty well. Won't be perfect but will keop most vermin out. You can also have screen doors sown in., for late summer/early fall with yellow jackets, the screendoor is a must have in whatever system you are using. I have a pop up i sue for summer quick trips but if its going to get serious use, then i take the wall tent