Elk hunting boots

I personally love my Shnees Hunter II for when It will be wet (or snow) outside. I found a used pair for like 75% of retail.

padenlac

FNG
The Hanwag makra line has been my favorite. All very lightweight and a couple different stiffnesses depending on what you like.

ndbuck09

WKR
you really need to determine if you're someone who likes stiff boots or noodles. From there you can really hone in on the boots for you. You can get 10 responses from guys on here but theres some that like stiff and some that like noodles.

I'm a stiff boot guy because my opinion is that in our steep terrain here in Idaho, the stiff boot keeps your foot muscles from getting as fatigued for long days and you've got way better protection against rolling an ankle. It does take more trial and error to get a stiff boot that works for your foot without issues. I personally love the Scarpa Ribelle lite with a cushioned insole for the last two years.

Just about anything from Danner. Quality is great IME. If in the mountains I’d go for something with ankle support or higher up

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
It really depends on your budget, your feet boot preferences, and terrain you are going to be hunting. I don't care for a super stiff boot and I have slightly wide feet. I tried the Crispi Colorados and they didn't fit me. I tried the Nevadas and love the boot. I am currently breaking in a pair of Lapponia Lites in hopes of using them for early elk in CO. I hope this gives you some ideas.

I have done two previous ID elk hunts wearing Irish Setter Elk Trackers, which worked fine and are very well broken for my feet. I wanted to bring a second pair of boots this year, so I bought a pair of Crispi Briksdal PRO SF GTX boots on sale at Black Ovis. They are failry rigid like the Elk Trackers, which I prefer for rough terrain if I am going to be off trail. I literally just opened the box and put them on two hours ago. So far, I like them. I'm going to ruck a few miles with them in the morning, but barring a problem, that is my plan for this fall.

shwacker

Lil-Rokslider
I'd be looking for: goretex, leather (more durable), not low top like tennis shoes but not higher than 'normal' hiking boots, and obviously the big one is comfort/fit. Heel slippage is the enemy here.

There are some decent lowa (made in Germany) on sale now at Sierra. The renegade model is not as stiff as I like, but most of their boots that aren't specifically for climbing are not super stiff. I like the lowa lacing system usually and they tend to have enough room in normal widths for my wider feet.

Johnboy11

FNG
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme. After trying on a few pairs of boots I like the stiffness (almost went with a pair of Crispi Wild Rocks) but I preferred the Kenetreks. Took a while to break in, but I prefer them for steep incline/declines, side hilling etc.. Check ebay, the kenetrek store puts out some great condition boots pretty regularly at lower prices.