Elk Hunt - Bipods or not

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good day everyone. So I drew a tag for NM this fall for rifle. I am contemplating acquiring bipods for my rifle. Now I have researched and have found there are quite a few brands out there. I am starting to lean more towards the Harris Bipods. I am sure there are better brands as is with everything but due to the lack of how much I may actually use these after the hunt I do not want to pay in the upwards of $200+ for bipods. So with name brand aside let us talk about the height of the bipods. Harris has a line of bipods that extend to 27in. I was thinking of purchasing the ones that start at 13in and go to 27in. thinking that might provide me more options. I know it is hard to know what shot will be presented to me and the situation at that time. So from the experience that everyone has had with bipods what do you recommend in the way of extension distance. Thanks

brn2hnt

WKR
Personal opinion only... I will only ever own prone height bipods. If I need more height than that, I tie my trekking poles together.

I don’t shoot over about 250-300 unless I can lay down, and trekking poles are more than stable enough for inside that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally think that a 13-27 is a little too much for elk hunting unless you plan on taking a seated shot. I have a 10-13 and its not the most comfortable to shoot prone when set to 13. I've had a few different bipods but last year I picked up a Vanguard one on Camofire that swivels and cants up and down and it is awesome. I would definitely get one that can at least swivel, although the ones that don't swivel/cant are a bit more streamline

wapitibob

WKR
I went to sportsmans and spent $79 on the chinese knockoff, 6-9 with swivel and locking cant. My rifle doesn't leave home without it. You can also use your pack which depending how you position it would cover 6 to 20+ inches.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
I use a tripod after holding out to NOT buy sticks for years. Now I’m sold. I prefer height that suits my seated style of shooting. I take a knee actually - left knee up with left elbow/arm supported on knee (right handed shooter) and bum on right ankle/leg. I just shove the BogPod in my pack’s rifle sleeve - as I’m shouldering the rifle during hunt - then slide it out quietly when I spot game. I’ve used it successfully twice. Didn’t need it, though I had it at hand, when I got my bull this past year only because I was able to rest rifle on my stocking cap on top of granite boulder. Not a fan of prone position, though I know it’s all some folks use, after seeing others with broken collar bones.

Gila

WKR
Sitting position is the norm for Western hunting Elk, pronghorn and deer. You will need a bi-pod or a pack to steady the rifle. Every serious pronghorn hunter uses a bipod. An average height person needs 27-29 inch with a pivot for uneven ground. Spend some bucks and get a rugged one. Harris has been the go to, but there are a couple of brands that are good choices.

A higher bipod might not be necessary but it’s there if you need it. Versatility is always a good thing. Elk country is hilly and if you are shooting on a downhill slope you might be in need of a higher rest. Here’s a product that you might be interested in if you carry trekking poles and have a low bipod. Again... versatility. Nothing beats having a piece of gear that serves multiple purposes if you’re gonna to carry the weight.

I've got limited Elk experience, find prone height bipod invaluable for antelope but can't see dragging around the extra weight of a bipod attached to the rifle for a week looking for Elk. On my hunts so far I've used a Primos Trigger Stick, heavy but doubles nicely as a hiking stick. This year I'm contemplating taking my adjustable ski poles instead, super light an loop the handles over eachother and you've got a shooting platform or just use a single with a steady grip. As for the height of the bipod question, when I first started antelope hunting I bought several sizes as I didn't know whether I'd be sitting or prone, etc. I found the seated position on a bipod was awkward and unstable, actually was better simply shooting off of my knee. Prone is a different story, that's rock solid.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use a sturdy adjustable height bipod that doubles as one of my two trekking poles. I’d consider this route especially if you don’t think it’ll get much use after the hunt. This way you can shoot from full height standing to sitting and use your pack for prone shots. I don’t leave home without my bipod.

I too am in you shoes for this year. That being said I have done 2 western hunts without bipods. The first was antelope and the second was muledeer. Each time a scrapped the bipod idea only to wish I had one. So...i am not making the same mistake for a 3rd time. More than likely I will get the snipepod v2. A little more than the Harris however not as much as alot of others.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't get the taller bipod. I would go with the shorter one. You can use trekking poles with handles looped for a sitting shot if you can't get prone. It works and trekking poles are extremely helpful in other ways also.

I have shot elk at lots of ranges. My first bull was sitting on a steep hill shooting across a ravine a little over 400 yards. I've shot a bull prone off a backpack way out there. I've used bipods. I have never once wanted a bipod tall enough to shoot sitting while elk hunting.

njdoxie

WKR
Here’s a product that you might be interested in if you carry trekking poles and have a low bipod. Again... versatility. Nothing beats having a piece of gear that serves multiple purposes if you’re gonna to carry the weight.

That does look nice, adds almost no weight to my hiking sticks, durn, something else I gotta have.

I also use this, attaches to hiking sticks, adds almost no weight - https://www.amazon.com/Doc-Bs-Attachable-Shooting-Rest/dp/B075BRLLQ2

I like multiple options.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input. So many variations and possibilities. Typically I want the least amount of trouble I can have and fewer moving components. I don’t expect to shoot prone but if I had the option I would probably like to. I just want versatility. I plan on practicing quite a few shooting positions to be prepared Keep the info coming. Thanks

I don't like a bipod hanging off my rifle, I usually shoot off my pack, just picked up an eberlystock pack rest. Have not tried it yet seems to hold a rifle well and keep it from sliding off should you not be level. I have shot animals off a Gatorade bottle. I keep a short pair of home made sticks with me along with regular shooting sticks in my pack, I keep all my options open.
d2c6d4fa562285da91e6807f97244e43.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I only hunt antelope and mule deer but always have a tall Harris bipod on my rifle if actively hunting. It's an easy choice for me.

Mountains for a week after elk? IDK if it would make it to the end.

Austink47

WKR
Every elk I have shot with a rifle or muzzle loader has been off a bipod. Even shooting seated off my pack frame it gives me a lot more stability.

ChrisAU

WKR
I used the KDC V2 snipepod this past fall sitting and it was plenty stable to get my first elk at over 300 yards. The best part is it was part of my tripod so it’s no extra weight at all. Spotted him in the binos on the tripod and 10 seconds later I was looking at him through the scope. It can pretty easily go from 6” or so to 35” or so, just widen or narrow the stance of the legs.

1 year elk hunting I had a 6-9 Harris swivel never used it so I took it off for the 2nd trip. Boy that was a big mistake and I missed it so much. mainly when I set my gun down, before I just popped the arms out and set it down. Now I had to lean my gun against a tree, yep you guessed it gun rolled of the tree and the scope hits a rock.
I prefer the shorter bipod just because that's what I'm used too, predator hunting in the flat lands.

wakedye

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I learned the hard way that I wasn't prepared for the kind of shot that presented itself. I had waited 18 years for the any bull tag.
I had a 13 - 27" harris bipod on my rifle. I got as close to the bull that I could but that was still 360 yards out. I couldn't get to a place where I could lay down and still see the bull because the grass was too tall. I ended up sitting down with the bipod raised as tall as it could go. It wasn't near as steady as I needed it to be for that shot distance and I missed my one shot. In hind sight there were several things I wish I would/could have done to better my chances of making a good shot. In hind sight I made one big mistake of dropping my pack before trying to get close. I had practiced most shooting off of it and laying prone with a bipod. I hadn't practiced nearly enough shooting off the tall bipod. I now don't ever want to ditch my pack as it is the best rest I have found for those sitting shots. I have also mounted a 1/4" nut in my stock so I can mount a quick release plate for my tripod to it. I have been practicing with the tripod and now know that I can be much steadier with it than the tall bipod.

My best advice is to prepare for different kind of shots and be proficient for different scenarios. be able to shoot laying down, sitting, and standing for closer range shots. Practice, practice, practice. I believe there is a thread called equipment vs practice posts and rifle practice/shooting in the firearms forum. I think this is a very good drill that will help you prepare for different types of shots that may present themselves.