Elk Draw Trends, By onX Hunt

BWise5707

FNG
I've said this before and know it will never happen, but if states went back to paper applications and actual money up front(check or money order), you would eliminate a bunch of people. Adding debt to their credit cards will keep them in the game.
I have to agree with this. It will cut out the lazy ones that can't just click a button on their phones as well

Andy_GWP

FNG
I think alot of people learned from hunting content that you can DIY hunt in the west. 5-10 years ago my circle of hunting friends talked about elk hunting once they made enough money to pay for a hunt with a guide. Now they talk about DIY hunts

We just gotta adapt gentlemen. We all have the same tools, but who is willing to put in the work to get the hunts they want?

I wish I had started hunting elk sooner in life so I could have had more opportunity earlier. But I didn't so now I need to work and learn and make it happen for myself.

My dad hunted elk for years and never applied for a single tag. He cant believe I have to have a plan and do research. I didn't get an idaho tag for the units I wanted. That sucks, but it means that I just need to work a little harder to find a hunt. I'm learning every day. Where can I get a tag, how can I improve my chances of getting a tag. What tags are even a possibility for me to get as a non resident problem child?

For me, it's worth the effort to learn because I hear bugles in my sleep.

Do I wish there were less people going elk hunting? Sure. I'd love to have the woods all to myself every September. But I'm also part of the problem as a non resident who is newer to the sport so I have no right complaining about other people hunting.

I'm just thankful there are still ways for me to go west and hunt elk. I know it sucks for the resident hunters of the states that I am trying to come to, but I pay my tag fees happily and respect the land as if it were my own. I'm there to participate to the fullest extent of my ability and not detract from the landscape in any way.
I couldn't agree with this more. It's all about your perspective. We could sit here and complain about it not being like it was before but with technology, increased demand, ease of entry, etc., this is our new normal. Either you adapt and approach each situation with a glass half full mentality or you sit back and stay at home while you complain about what it used to be.