Elk Broadhead Suggestions for Low Poundage Archers

Bump79

WKR
Not sure if I mentioned it but in the normal price range I'd look at some of these. That's really not that low of energy.

Magnus Black Hornet
Simmons Mako
Kayuga Trizot
RAD Low Profile Solid
NAP End Game/Truglo Big Game
Any sharp solid unvented 3b

You'd be fine with any moderate sized fixed head.
29" @ 50lb is plenty of energy.
My mother shot a big bodied sika stag with 34lbs, 27" draw. 3 blade grim reaper hades pro.
Full pass through at 26 yards. Elk is a bigger animal but he will have plenty of energy.
I would go with a 3 blade head for a better chance at a good blood trail.
Grim Reaper Micro hades would be a great option.

OP
J

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
I’m happy to report back: father harvested his first archery elk, his first archery critter, this last week on a small 5x6 bull. Shot was approximately 30 yards, broadside, couple inches behind the shoulder blade and slightly high. Broadhead penetrated through the vitals, missed ribs, and barely poked through the opposite side hide. It devastated the near-side lung and lacerated the opposite lung. The elk crashed down just shy of 100 yds and expired in a matter of minutes (probably less). Arrow setup was 411 gr, 3 fletch helical, 100 gr QAD Exodus fixed blade (non-swept), DW 50 lbs, going about 247 fps.

Bump79

WKR
I’m happy to report back: father harvested his first archery elk, his first archery critter, this last week on a small 5x6 bull. Shot was approximately 30 yards, broadside, couple inches behind the shoulder blade and slightly high. Broadhead penetrated through the vitals, missed ribs, and barely poked through the opposite side hide. It devastated the near-side lung and lacerated the opposite lung. The elk crashed down just shy of 100 yds and expired in a matter of minutes (probably less). Arrow setup was 411 gr, 3 fletch helical, 100 gr QAD Exodus fixed blade (non-swept), DW 50 lbs, going about 247 fps.
Sounds like a great shot! Exodus are awesome. I'm honestly surprised it didn't blow clean through since it missed ribs.

OP
J

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t personally see the shot, was about 50 yds behind calling, so when he said it didn’t pass through I was a little nervous. So we gave it a good 50 minutes before looking for the blood trail. Seems to have worked out. Would’ve loved to see it pass through

Attachments

• IMG_5059.jpeg
    IMG_5059.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4915.jpeg
    IMG_4915.jpeg
    623.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4917.jpeg
    IMG_4917.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 8

Bump79

WKR
I didn’t personally see the shot, was about 50 yds behind calling, so when he said it didn’t pass through I was a little nervous. So we gave it a good 50 minutes before looking for the blood trail. Seems to have worked out. Would’ve loved to see it pass through
Nice calling! I'm hoping to do the same for my dad next year.

So it hit no ribs or shoulder at all eh? I guess it did the trick. Makes me think that a

Anyone else wish they made a 2 blade exodus for these use cases? Just use the same blades but used that saved weight for a hair pointier tip.

OP
J

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Nice calling! I'm hoping to do the same for my dad next year.

So it hit no ribs or shoulder at all eh? I guess it did the trick. Makes me think that a

Anyone else wish they made a 2 blade exodus for these use cases? Just use the same blades but used that saved weight for a hair pointier tip.
Yeah, those three blades barely slipped between the ribs and was just a couple inches behind the scap. I was pretty pleased at the blood trail despite no pass through. I’ve seen worse blood trails from 2 blade broadheads on lethal shots. There was a 1/4” diameter hole on the exit side, basically just where the chisel tip poked through the hide. This broadhead hadn’t been sharpened beyond what came in the packaging. Maybe some additional sharpening would’ve helped?

Bump79

WKR
Yeah, those three blades barely slipped between the ribs and was just a couple inches behind the scap. I was pretty pleased at the blood trail despite no pass through. I’ve seen worse blood trails from 2 blade broadheads on lethal shots. There was a 1/4” diameter hole on the exit side, basically just where the chisel tip poked through the hide. This broadhead hadn’t been sharpened beyond what came in the packaging. Maybe some additional sharpening would’ve helped?
Ehhh maybe? The Exodus comes pretty damn sharp out of the box. I'd say it's just on the bigger side for a lower energy setup. Performed really well though! I think 3 blades leave a great blood trail. Small 2 blades w/o bleeders are for really low energy shooters IMHO. I can't wrap my head around the trend of higher energy shooters using them.