Elk are as real as Big Foot

thatguy

FNG
So after a year of living in Colorado and getting into the mountains regularly. I have seen God knows how many big horn sheep, mountain goats, deer, pronghorns. 2 moose. Loads of bear sign. Deer in my camp every time I've camped. A pelican in Denver. Yet no elk. At this point I've wrote them off as government conspiracy theory. ELK ARN'T REAL. Spread the message.

On a real note. I've seriously seen more moose than Elk... I can't figure out what gives.....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

puckhead

FNG
Moose like bogs and creeks and watery stuff. Roads/trails are near creeks and bogs and watery stuff. Elk are very real, just take a drive through RMNP. You'll see so many pet elk. Elk like to graze. Drive any big valley with large cattle ranches and giant hay fields in the winter when the elk are down low, you'll see herds of hundreds.

The fact that you have lived in Colorado for an entire year and only seen 2 moose tells me that you simply aren't getting out enough. Those dang things are taking over. Just get outside more, you'll eventually see a Bigfoot.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Bringing this back from the dead to let everyone know. I finally seen an elk last week. During Elk season all I saw was deer and moose. Hopefully the curse is broken now

Doubt it but good luck 👍 … sorry that was mean haha

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Elk aren't whole creatures. They are either just rumps, necks or side glances. You think you only see them for a split second but it's actually longer because they are only parts of elk... Thick dark timber helps creates that illusion for me. They sure leave a lot of track and nuggets though! Hope your luck turns for the better this year.

Woitey

FNG
My experience mirrors the OP's. The only elk I see are on lands I can't hunt, or out of season. In season, in any GMU I can hunt, with a rifle in my hands, I have a better chance of sitting on a rock and having a cup of coffee with Sasquatch.

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
well maybe you widen your search, Montana might be a good choice, fairly close and there are a good amount of Elk in that state.

it might just be that you haven't identify one you came across once.. have seen pictures of hunt with elk kills on so many hunting forums..

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
well maybe you widen your search, Montana might be a good choice, fairly close and there are a good amount of Elk in that state.

it might just be that you haven't identify one you came across once.. have seen pictures of hunt with elk kills on so many hunting forums..
I think montana is out, spent 12 days there last year and didnt see any. nor any on the drive out there :ROFLMAO:

young7.3

WKR
If you go to colorado or montana and cant find elk, you are doing something wrong. Go where people aren’t and find an area with north facing slopes with dark timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Colorado elk population estimates at 280,000. Wyoming 109,000. Montana 141,000. Idaho 125,000.

In Wyoming, I killed a bull in ‘21, a cow in ‘22, and nothing in ‘23, although I saw elk in ‘23. That’s typical for me over the years. I usually fill my tag about two years in a row and then come up dry one year no matter how hard I hunt.

There are elk to be found. You’re finding elk or you’re not. If you’re not finding elk in one state, are you going to be more successful finding them in another? Maybe, but that’s far from certain.

Last edited:
So after a year of living in Colorado and getting into the mountains regularly. I have seen God knows how many big horn sheep, mountain goats, deer, pronghorns. 2 moose. Loads of bear sign. Deer in my camp every time I've camped. A pelican in Denver. Yet no elk. At this point I've wrote them off as government conspiracy theory. ELK ARN'T REAL. Spread the message.

On a real note. I've seriously seen more moose than Elk... I can't figure out what gives.....

I counted 17 bulls in my backyard in Broomfield last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk