Elk and elevation

For those with experience chasing Rocky Mountain elk, I'm new to this and have lots of random questions, but I'll try not to go too crazy here. I'm aware there are exceptions to every rule, and everyone's had anomalous experiences here and there - just trying compile all the info I can about these guys before my first hunt (antlered first rifle this year, northern CO).

1. Any rules of thumb relating to elk and elevation? Will they go so far as to change elevation for a different temperature range? I'm not necessarily talking large-scale migratory patterns, but maybe a week-long heat wave moving them 2k feet up a mountain. They're obviously hardy animals, and I've heard they don't really go backwards during migration, so maybe they just don't care.

2. I know bulls like to cool off in a good wallow, but how cool does it need to get before that isn't a concern anymore? Do they still do it after the rut? Will they use a wallow even when temps are down around freezing?

3. If you're moving through timber and a bedded elk is alerted to your presence, is he taking off immediately, or might he try to hunker down and let you pass without you noticing him?

4. If there's fresh (black) bear shit in an area, are there still likely to be elk around, or can you bet they've already taken off if there's a bear around?

Now that's a random set of questions lol; excuse my inexperience. TIA!

I don't have a lot more experience than you have, but here's what I've seen over the past 4 years of chasing them in Colorado -

1) yes. They will move up or down the mountain depending on weather. Last year, we had an early snowfall in the flattops. Lots of folks were saying it wasn't enough to push them down but that's not what I was seeing at all. My buddy and I moved down 3K feet and we found a ton of elk in the pinon/juniper and sage, just below the snow line. Talked to hunters who stayed up there in the snow and they weren't seeing much at all, but they had invested so much in their camps (and wanted to stay in the same camp they had for years, yada, yada, yada) that they just didn't move even though the elk had.

having said that, I've seen elk at 11K feet and 6K feet on literally the same day, within 20 miles. That's why people say, elk are where you find them.

2) I wouldn't bother hunting a wallow if the temps aren't in the 80's+ during mid-day. The hotter the better.

3) in my experience, elk take off if they bust you in timber.

4) I don't think elk spend much time worry about bears and in the fall, they are usually in different places anyway.

All that wisdom is worth exactly what you paid for it. LOL I'm sure the veterans will be along to give you better advice soon.

Elk will move 2k feet up and down a mountain anyway, so weekly fluctuations in temps won’t necessarily make them move around like that.
If it’s hot/dry, they’ll just tend to hang more on north slopes/shaded areas or in areas with more moisture.

Bulls will use wallows down to freezing temps...and after the rut.
Definitely does not need to be hot, for a bull to use wallows.
Wallows also don’t necessarily need water either , to remain active.

Elk don’t hunker down like deer.
Sometimes they’ll hang if they’re not sure what’s making noise, but in general not for long!

Elk and bear live around one another all the time, bear sign is not even a consideration when trying to locate Elk.

Elk will absolutely gain and lose 2k elevation in a day and very easily. They can and will wallow in colder temps and after the rut, but they will wallow much more frequently in hotter temps and during the rut. If an elk busts you in the timber but doesn't take off right away, they may not know what you are. I would stay still instead of keep walking. If you keep walking they will take off, could be to the next county. I wouldn't worry about black bears being in the area. They tend to only prey on young calves and dead elk.

Wrench

WKR
As for bears, I've watched elk and a black bear eat from the same elderberry bush at the same time.

OP
FirstTimer
As for bears, I've watched elk and a black bear eat from the same elderberry bush at the same time.
@Wrench, that is hilarious and I feel like a dope for wondering about it now when it's that much of a non-issue lol but hey, you don't know what you don't know. Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info. I'm sure I'll be around with plenty more questions