Elevation Training Mask

rhendrix

WKR
I've got a birthday coming up in April and my wife keeps asking me for ideas, thought I'd ask for this...the "science", for lack of a better word, seems like it would work. The more hypoxic you make yourself the better you will be adapt at higher elevations. Just looking for some feedback.

G Posik

WKR
That thing seams expensive. I use a $3.99 snorkel. When it gets easy using the snorkel I put duct tape over the end and poke 3 small holes in the tape. When that gets easier I then go to 2 holes.

Glenn

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Glenn, I've heard of people using a snorkel as well...did you notice a difference when you used it?

shaun

WKR
There are a lot of other thinks you can utilize heck even a dust mask works to an extent alls you are trying to do is restrict breathing to build more white blood cells I have never personally done it but know people who have

Skip the gimics and train at and near your VO2 max, that will help your body become more efficient and raise your threshold levels.

G Posik

WKR
I would say yes. When using it I tend to get and keep my heart rate up in the red zone. It really does make your lungs work hard and your body will become efficient. This past year was the first time I used it and feel I was in the best mountain shape. I do alot of lungs and legs training all year.

Glenn

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Skip the gimics and train at and near your VO2 max, that will help your body become more efficient and raise your threshold levels.

Yup. I'd be interested to hear about the science behind using a device that restricts breathing, in terms of any results showing a physiological benefit such as increased red cell (BTW, it's not white cells) count. If you restrict your breathing, it just means you can't work as hard, which is why you don't see endurance athletes training long-term at high elevations.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Eeewww... devices that restrict air flow? That scares the claustrophobic in me. Bad.

I do uphill sprints, the steeper the better... to the point where I think that THIS time, I really will pass out.

I've read somewhere that this helps dealing with high altitude's lower oxygen levels.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
Think of the gimmicks this way. If you live at sea level, your body adapts to that. If you travel to "high elevations" and stay there for days and weeks, your body acclimates, but it takes a while. Your body adapts to where you live, whether at sea level or high elevation.

So, if you work out an hour a day every day with your gizmo (most won't do that much) but you live at sea level, do you really believe your body will adapt to how it spends 1 hour a day vs. the other 23?

As far as hitting your aerobic threshold and raising it, read up on interval training.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
How do I determine that without spending a huge sum of money?

Google "determining VO2 max"...there are different methods you can use with the idea of performing in your VO2 max range for short intervals, extending them over time. If nothing else, when doing cardio, go as hard as you can for a minute or so and then back off...then as fast as you can for another minute and back off again, I'm sure you get the point. Good luck!

BOW1144

Lil-Rokslider
rhendrix, I have been using my Elevation Training Mask for about 6 weeks now. The results have been phenomenal to say the least. I forgot to bring it on my weekly 6 mile run last week. The same run last year at my peak fitness left me gasping after some steep hills. On this last run I blasted through my run and never ran out of breath. The mask has limitations however. It does not make you hypoxic like true high elevation training does. The mask works by strengthening your diaphragm and breathing muscles, which allow you to take in more oxygen. It is just resistance training for your lungs. The mask is not a gimmick like others have posted, running around with a snorkel with duck tape on it is a gimmick. The mask is being used by almost all top level athletes from MMA and NFL teams to increase their performance. The results will speak for themselves but you have to use it, and believe me it sucks! I would highly recommend it.

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
I was hoping to breathe new life into this thread....pun intended:) But it all seriousness, does anyone want to update on this subject. I have been looking for additional ways to improve on training regiment this spring and summer in preperation for the 10k elevation and thought this would be a better way to climatize myself.

input wanted

I read that a lot of endurance athletes who don't live at any elevation drag a tire. Works both the lungs and legs in the capacity of elevation.