Electric dirt bikes?

Not talking about E bicycles, I mean the ones that look like a motorcycle. Who has one that they really like for hunting? Please share your experience.

Something like this;

Last edited:

Elk97

WKR
I like the idea of them, but there wouldn't be any way to charge it overnight at elk camp. So, I'm out.

11boo

WKR
I like the idea of them, but there wouldn't be any way to charge it overnight at elk camp. So, I'm out.
They do look fun. We had a guy come into our camp on one so quiet it kinda scared me when he said hi. He was offering a couple 20s to let him plug into a generator if we had one. We didn’t and he left. It was an older one just like that link, and he said 20 miles on the Mt was all he got.

Cool toy.

DirtyLee

FNG
Look up the Stark Varg, a new moto bike finally hitting the US. It wont be long until all the big players are in the electric game.

Elk97

WKR
you can charge power packs with solar and then use those to charge the bike. A buddy does that..
That's a possibility but you'd have to count on bright sun (unobstructed by trees) and hoping the solar array and power packs would still be there when you got back to camp. Or run the generator most of the night. For a one day hunt, sure.

I had a client pull up on one a few years ago. I didn't get to talk to him much about it, but the thing was pretty cool. I saw him coming, never heard anything except the little clink of the chain rolling over the gears. He was flying thru the field coming up to me, couldn't figure out what was going on.

No personal experience, except I wanted one. Like my little electric stihl saw, I just enjoy less noise anymore.

Weldor

WKR
Should be interesting when they show up on moutain bike trails. Also on national forest grounds limited to 750 watts. They look really cool though. I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Turkish

FNG
Not talking about E bicycles, I mean the ones that look like a motorcycle. Who has one that they really like for hunting? Please share your experience.

Something like this;

Those look so fun.

pjww805

FNG
Bumping this thread. Any others running these? Curious on distance running these in high country and how the batteries hold up in colder weather

Bluefish

WKR
Bumping this thread. Any others running these? Curious on distance running these in high country and how the batteries hold up in colder weather
Real world range for Alta’s were in the 30-35 mile range. Surons are probably a bit less. Cold weather really impacts range, 30-50% less than 70-80 deg range.

mjh

FNG
UBCO

Would really like to try out an UBCO.

Where I would most likely go charging would be an issue.

Using where I live has issues as well. The bike would have to be licensed as a moped. Can not be used on local bike trails as it's motorized. Too slow for anything other than neighborhood streets. I'd get run over anywhere else. The Hunt edition does have a higher speed--less range---not sure about tires on local streets.

Could get a Honda Trail 125 for a lower prices as well.

vladkgb

FNG
I run one of these for hunting. Really fun and quiet. For charging, I use a small 2k watt generator at base camp, you could also buy a second battery and swap it in quickly. My new truck, f-250, has an inverter built in from the factory that will charge the battery.

One downside I can think of is in muddy or wet conditions they're not reliable. After doing a river crossing my throttle stopped working, after about an hour it worked again. The manufacturer warns against getting these wet.

pjww805

FNG
Real world range for Alta’s were in the 30-35 mile range. Surons are probably a bit less. Cold weather really impacts range, 30-50% less than 70-80 deg range.
Yeah this was my concern. Not sure riding them up a 2 wheel trail in Idaho and leaving in the woods for 4-5 days when we spike out I’d have any battery life on return. Love the idea of one but having to push it back with a potential buck on the back isn’t ideal.

I have a Talaria Sting RMX4. Awesome. Range is 30+ miles. Will go up hills faster than you want to.