ELD-X & ELD-M

Hurley88

FNG
After all the stuff written about these bullets, I now have two rifles set up with them and trued. One in 7mm-08 (162gr) and one in 243 (108gr). The 243 has been rebarreled with a 1:8 twist and is by far my favorite hunting rifle now.

I haven’t shot anything with the ELDM but I’m all practiced up and ready. I’ll definitely post the results here along with pics of the wounds. This season I’ll be hunting black bear & elk. In 2025 I have a moose hunt scheduled. If the 243 impresses by then I’ll use it for the moose. Would be nice to have a sample set of two on Rokslide lol

After reading this thread you guys got me wanting to give the eld-m a try over the x’s for elk. Shooting a 7mm rm with an 8 twist. Gonna give the 162’s a try.

gabenzeke

WKR
This thread and other things I've read make me nervous about the eldx. That said, I shot a bull elk at 114 yards with a 212 eldx out of a 300 RUM and it dropped stone dead immediately. Sample size of one though and I read so many stories of failures from these Hornady bullets. The eldm is intriguing, but honestly if the McGuire BCs are accurate, I may just go that route.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Mulyhuntr

WKR
After all the stuff written about these bullets, I now have two rifles set up with them and trued. One in 7mm-08 (162gr) and one in 243 (108gr). The 243 has been rebarreled with a 1:8 twist and is by far my favorite hunting rifle now.

I haven’t shot anything with the ELDM but I’m all practiced up and ready. I’ll definitely post the results here along with pics of the wounds. This season I’ll be hunting black bear & elk. In 2025 I have a moose hunt scheduled. If the 243 impresses by then I’ll use it for the moose. Would be nice to have a sample set of two on Rokslide lol
What powder you running in the 243? Just picked up an 8 twist tikka takeoff and ordered some 108s.

Have used both now, M's and X's. Eldx in 308 and a 140 eldm in 6.5.

Killed a bear the other day with a 20in 6.5 Creedmoor 140s doing 2642fps. They worked, I was hesitant but knew I was confident in the rifle setup. They acted like a eldx no pass through.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Hurley88

FNG
What powder you running in the 243? Just picked up an 8 twist tikka takeoff and ordered some 108s.
Sorry for the late reply; I’m using H4831SC. Tested several powders with nothing other than case fill as a parameter. Picked a few that filled the case properly then shot them over a chronograph in half-grain increments (think it was H4831, H4831SC and RL23 but can check when I get back into town just PM me as if interested & I’ll shoot you the data). The SC version put me right where I wanted to be so went on to 10-shot groups then trued at distance. Got a few 3-1/4 to 3-3/4” groups at 500yds. Didn’t test more than that just moved on to positional stuff on steel. Absolutely zero complaints.

Hurley88

FNG
After reading this thread you guys got me wanting to give the eld-m a try over the x’s for elk. Shooting a 7mm rm with an 8 twist. Gonna give the 162’s a try.
Go with the 180gr! LOL if I get a vote. My 7RM is 1:9-1/2” or I’d have done that. Almost rebarreled mine just to use that bullet.

eric1115

WKR
Go with the 180gr! LOL if I get a vote. My 7RM is 1:9-1/2” or I’d have done that. Almost rebarreled mine just to use that bullet.
I second that. I'm shooting 180 Berger hybrids out of my 7mm RM, and I think my reason for doing so applies 100% to the ELD's as well. My main worry with using match bullets is overexpansion, and that is at its worst at higher velocity. I can start the heavier bullet slower (both of those should help mitigate the overexpansion issue), and the higher BC keeps it in its optimal velocity range over a wider distance.

Trajectory is not as flat, and wind isn't a huge advantage with the difference in speed, but that window of optimal terminal velocity that goes from the muzzle to further than I'll shoot an animal is great. If I knew I'd never shoot an animal at less than a couple hundred yards, or had less case capacity, the 162 (or 168 vld) is a great option. I'm just a little leery of a 50 yard shot where it's still moving 3k+ fps. A 180 at 2800 is much more comfortable for me if we're talking match bullets.

I second that. I'm shooting 180 Berger hybrids out of my 7mm RM, and I think my reason for doing so applies 100% to the ELD's as well. My main worry with using match bullets is overexpansion, and that is at its worst at higher velocity. I can start the heavier bullet slower (both of those should help mitigate the overexpansion issue), and the higher BC keeps it in its optimal velocity range over a wider distance.

Trajectory is not as flat, and wind isn't a huge advantage with the difference in speed, but that window of optimal terminal velocity that goes from the muzzle to further than I'll shoot an animal is great. If I knew I'd never shoot an animal at less than a couple hundred yards, or had less case capacity, the 162 (or 168 vld) is a great option. I'm just a little leery of a 50 yard shot where it's still moving 3k+ fps. A 180 at 2800 is much more comfortable for me if we're talking match bullets.
I like the 168 vld hunter but they are hard to find as I don’t reload. Do you prefer the 180 target hybrids over the 180 vld hunters?

Last edited:

Tf44

FNG
I've used hornady sst's, eldx's and eldm's for years in various rifles and have always had impressive groups. That being said, they have all been very explosive when you hit a bone. I've seen this several times on pronghorn and whitetails over the last 10 - 15 years. I worked up a load for my 7mm rem mag last year with 168 berger vld hunters but I wasn't overly impressed with it either. Bottom line, I think any well built bullet will work as it's designed, but they all do weird things depending on what they hit.

eric1115

WKR
I like the 168 vld hunter but they are hard to find as I don’t reload. Do you prefer the 180 target hybrids over the 180 vld hunters?
I have only played with the vld hunters a little bit (almost solely to have a backup option ready to go since the 180 hybrid is so hard to get). Less forgiving on seating depth, but I've had good results. No animals killed with them, and the terminal performance of the hybrids have been excellent for me. Consistent exits on deer and elk from 200-500, soup in the chest cavity.

letrbuck

WKR
Bumping this up again...

Been playing with a new 308 lately and trying to determine which bullet to go with... seems like the ELDM at 308 velocity is likely the ticket, but which weight? Anyone had some more terminal results between the 168 and 178 (heck, 208?) at moderate velocities?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Bumping this up again...

Been playing with a new 308 lately and trying to determine which bullet to go with... seems like the ELDM at 308 velocity is likely the ticket, but which weight? Anyone had some more terminal results between the 168 and 178 (heck, 208?) at moderate velocities?

All three of those ELD-M’s are more alike than different in tissue at those speeds. The only reason I might not choose the 208gr is recoil. The 168gr and 178gr ELD-M’s are excellent killing bullets.

BLJ

WKR
All three of those ELD-M’s are more alike than different in tissue at those speeds. The only reason I might not choose the 208gr is recoil. The 168gr and 178gr ELD-M’s are excellent killing bullets.

Any experience with the 208’s in an 11 twist Tikka? I’ve been looking at these and the 195’s.
Also thinking about trying some leverevolution. Thanks.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Any experience with the 208’s in an 11 twist Tikka? I’ve been looking at these and the 195’s.
Also thinking about trying some leverevolution. Thanks.

They work at the DA I have tried them at. I will load and shoot some more.

BLJ

WKR
Thanks. I know Hornady recommends a 10 twist for the 208. Nothing mentioned for the 195. I like the BC of the 208’s a lot better.

B23

WKR
Probably a little early yet but I'll ask anyway, has anyone shot anything with the new 25 caliber 134 ELD-M yet and if so how did they perform for you??

Kyle Avey

WKR
162gr ELDM from 7mm Rem Mag at 2900 fps. I shot him twice at 50 yards. First shot behind the shoulder quartered away. Bullet expanded well and penetrated offside shoulder. Found it lodged in skin on offside. Second shot through both shoulders. Also great expansion. Bullet lodged in offside scapula. I know these were close range shots, but I was impressed with penetration and terminal performance. Bullets fragmented pretty bad but that created more wound channels. Bull didn’t go 20 yards and piled up.
IMG_1241.jpeg

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably a little early yet but I'll ask anyway, has anyone shot anything with the new 25 caliber 134 ELD-M yet and if so how did they perform for you??

In the thread .25 cal something something, a guy posted a kill he shot with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
162gr ELDM from 7mm Rem Mag at 2900 fps. I shot him twice at 50 yards. First shot behind the shoulder quartered away. Bullet expanded well and penetrated offside shoulder. Found it lodged in skin on offside. Second shot through both shoulders. Also great expansion. Bullet lodged in offside scapula. I know these were close range shots, but I was impressed with penetration and terminal performance. Bullets fragmented pretty bad but that created more wound channels. Bull didn’t go 20 yards and piled up.
View attachment 612477
Great bull! If those were the ones you got from me I'm even more pumped about it, lol. Well done, Sir.