ELD X 28 nosler

Anyone out there shooting a 175 grain eld x in a 28 Nosler at ranges past 500 on game? Just finished a 28 nosler build and trying to decide which bullet to go with i have 180 hybrids, 180 vld targets and the 175 grain eld x's. I fear elk shoulders with the bergers was wondering if the eld x does OK with a mature bulls shoulder bone. Any input is appreciated

22moran22

FNG
Have you loaded and shot any of the 175 eld-x? I’m trying to find a good powder for my 28 nosler.
I know the eld-x will hammer whitetail and pigs, but I don’t have any experience with elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on the Berger train all the way, so I'd go with the 180 hybrids. Seen a lot of animals (elk, deer and bear) die from em. Personally I'm just finishing a load for my 28 Nosler with retumbo and the berger 190 hybrids. Groups shooting 1/2 MOA right now with hardly any tinkering

OP
W
Have you loaded and shot any of the 175 eld-x? I’m trying to find a good powder for my 28 nosler.
I know the eld-x will hammer whitetail and pigs, but I don’t have any experience with elk.

I haven’t yet but will Update this when I do planning to use retumbo

OP
W
I'm on the Berger train all the way, so I'd go with the 180 hybrids. Seen a lot of animals (elk, deer and bear) die from em. Personally I'm just finishing a load for my 28 Nosler with retumbo and the berger 190 hybrids. Groups shooting 1/2 MOA right now with hardly any tinkering

Ever shot an elk shoulder with one?

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Ever shot an elk shoulder with one?

Seen elk shot in the shoulder, watched buddies videos, packed buddies elk that hit them in the shoulder. As long as you're within the recommended velocities and have enough foot lbs, I've personally never seen an issue. I shot the bull in my avatar just over 400 yards with a 7mm and the 168 vlds, quartered to me, hit him in the shoulder and he tipped over backwards.

Not saying they're the absolute best out there, some people have had issues. Just from what I've witnessed and heard about them, I'll always shoot them without a second guess.

OP
W
Seen elk shot in the shoulder, watched buddies videos, packed buddies elk that hit them in the shoulder. As long as you're within the recommended velocities and have enough foot lbs, I've personally never seen an issue. I shot the bull in my avatar just over 400 yards with a 7mm and the 168 vlds, quartered to me, hit him in the shoulder and he tipped over backwards.

Not saying they're the absolute best out there, some people have had issues. Just from what I've witnessed and heard about them, I'll always shoot them without a second guess.
Thank you!

Tahoe1305

WKR
I shot them out of 7wsm with a ~3000fps MV. Guessing 28N will best that by at least 200fps.

I’d be cautious.

I shot 162s at 3200 fps and had a bad experience inside a few hundred yards on a kill zone shot on white tail. It exploded and made a mess.

I think at 500+ you’d be fine but I’d say you are limiting yourself to longer shots or assuming risk of blowing up inside about 300yards or so (hitting shoulder or not).

josef

FNG
All barrels like different bullets but mine likes the 180 ELDM. I previously shot the 180 vld but had a short range explosion on the side of a deer that made me look at the eld. I couldn’t get the x’s to group well so went with the M. I’ve killed a bunch of critters with them from elk to bear to deer at a wide range of distances. Haven’t had any expansion or detonation issues with them. I’m shooting them over 80.1 grains of h1000 with magnum primers.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know about the 175’s but I did take a mature bull this season with the 162’s in 28 nos. Shot was at 526 yrds. It was probably the most impressive wound channel I’ve ever seen. The exit wound was larger than my fist.
I’ve never had an issue with the ELDX but I have heard some people say they have had them grenade at closer ranges. I have personally never had that happen to me. They’ve always seemed to hold up well. Not really sure if that was helpful info or not. Have a good one

I posted pictures (posts #91 and 93) on this thread out of a SAUM at low 2800s muzzle velocity. They are quite splashy.

Would not be my first choice out of a 28N for elk but I'm not going to say it's all doom and gloom either.

Wapiti1

WKR
I went with the Lapua 180 Scenar-L. Work fine on shoulders and ribs. Tougher bullet than a Berger or a Hornady, but not too tough.

Jeremy

I haven’t yet but will Update this when I do planning to use retumbo

I shot a cow elk at 300yds with a 180 bergerVLD. It penciled right through her and she went a couple hundred yards before piling up. I'd aim for shoulder with that type of projectile. I double lunged her.
I used the 162gr ELD-X in South Africa with devastating results on game as large as wildebeest and Kudu and at distances beyond 700yds with my 28. The key is bullet placement again. You want that expanding bullet to cavitate in the diaphragm and liquify the vitals so avoid the shoulder. I think a slight quartering away shot is the best because you can aim for the opposite shoulder through the vitals. That's generally going to anchor the animal right where they stand.

Attachments

• b865e9b2-f77d-4e73-9f3e-984a931126a8.jpg
    b865e9b2-f77d-4e73-9f3e-984a931126a8.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 3