ELD VT 174 grain

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Anyone else find this release strange? Every other bullet released in this line is lighter for caliber. This seems more like a great deer bullet. I’ve never seen a 174 grain bullet advertised for varmints

Anyone else find this release strange? Every other bullet released in this line is lighter for caliber. This seems more like a great deer bullet. I’ve never seen a 174 grain bullet advertised for varmints
I believe the VT stands for varmint/target. I was thinking 308 win target bullet?

OP
Gstew1930

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I believe the VT stands for varmint/target. I was thinking 308 win target bullet?
Yeah I think so. They already have a target bullet in this weight. So why make a 174 grain varmint bullet. I was just saying looking at the construction it looks like it would make a great deer bullet. Just a guess though

I haven't looked into this weight class of bullets. I would assume the BC on the new 308 VT is higher just like on the 224 and 243 VT bullet compared to like weights. So even if they already make target bullets in the same weight class, this bullet might have a lot better BC.

With the giant nose cavity on the VT line, I'm guessing you wouldn't want to have a high impact velocity on big game. Just a guess. Could definitely be wrong and they might work well on big game at high velocities.

letrbuck

WKR
It follows the VT build profile, but Hornady isn't touting it as a varmint bullet. It's basically the 208 ELDM shell with less lead. So high BC, higher velocity for that BC number, and less recoil. Be interesting to see terminal results on tissue, but should be a hell of a target/match bullet

OP
Gstew1930

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
It follows the VT build profile, but Hornady isn't touting it as a varmint bullet. It's basically the 208 ELDM shell with less lead. So high BC, higher velocity for that BC number, and less recoil. Be interesting to see terminal results on tissue, but should be a hell of a target/match bullet
That makes alot of sense. i may shoot something with it next year to test it

Vintovka

FNG
Made a video on the 174 ELD-VT .30 cal, haven't shot them yet buts its very useful info.

jhenk

FNG
Any one have any experience on game yet with this bullet? just got some from midway would be interested in performance on big game and anyones opinions on if it will work as good as a eldx or eldm

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Any one have any experience on game yet with this bullet? just got some from midway would be interested in performance on big game and anyones opinions on if it will work as good as a eldx or eldm

They fragment rapidly- it’s a 174gr varmint bullet. They will kill emphatically, however meat loss if you hit bone can be/will be extreme.

ABC1000

FNG
I’m wondering about these in 300 BLK or even subsonic 308… I’ve got some 62gr and 80 gr on the way.

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
They fragment rapidly- it’s a 174gr varmint bullet. They will kill emphatically, however meat loss if you hit bone can be/will be extreme.
Have you tried any ELD VTs yet Form? Hornady claimed that the void from tip to the start of the lead actually ended up hindering minimum expansion velocity. I think they said it was due to the tip collapsing and not tearing open but im suspect of that maybe due to the fact there's not actual hollow point in the lead core it could be the case.

i'm about to load some up in my rum. I can push a 225 eldm 3,400 fps, any guesses what i'll reach with the 174?? i'm hoping i can get close to 4,000. if i do, i will record what kind of damage it does, both inanimate and live!!!

Stocky

Lil-Rokslider
i'm about to load some up in my rum. I can push a 225 eldm 3,400 fps, any guesses what i'll reach with the 174?? i'm hoping i can get close to 4,000. if i do, i will record what kind of damage it does, both inanimate and live!!!
Going on even muzzle energy you likely going to top out around 3850 for a similar load maybe a smidge less as typically heavy bullets have a slight advantage due to increases time in the barrel to receive energy from the expanding gases. Still very quick.

Going on even muzzle energy you likely going to top out around 3850 for a similar load maybe a smidge less as typically heavy bullets have a slight advantage due to increases time in the barrel to receive energy from the expanding gases. Still very quick.
i have a 1.350 cylinder 34" barrel. going to try n560/565/570. i am currently using n570 with the 225's. will probably just fill up the case to the top and crunch in a 174 on top and start backwards from there.

Attachments

• IMG_4558.jpeg
    IMG_4558.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2132.jpeg
    IMG_2132.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 9