Ejection problems on X Bolts

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still learning rifles and shooting longer ranges, so forgive me if this question comes off as ignorant.

I currently own 2 Browning X bolt rifles (standard 7mm08 and Pro 300 WM) and I'm having issues periodically with ejecting after shooting. I shoot factory ammo and have noticed after certain boxes, I can get the bolt up, but not be able to pull it back to eject without using a ton of force. Is this due to an issue on the rifles or is it just an issue around certain ammo and casing expansion in the chamber? I put the aftermarket trigger spring in both, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the bolt release button having issues and locking up?

Any suggestions would be helpful as I enjoy the rifles, but am nervous about follow up shots in the field.

OP
Deli

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
Chamber clean and dry? No oil in it?
Seems to be, but I'll try cleaning the action out again just to make sure. It seems to be more ammo related. my 7mm08 seems to be fine with Hornady ammo, but hard to eject with Nosler. My 300 Win Mag is fine usually with Barnes and Sierra ammo, but pretty much locks up with the Federal ammo I tried.

KenLee

WKR
Seems to be, but I'll try cleaning the action out again just to make sure. It seems to be more ammo related. my 7mm08 seems to be fine with Hornady ammo, but hard to eject with Nosler. My 300 Win Mag is fine usually with Barnes and Sierra ammo, but pretty much locks up with the Federal ammo I tried.
Nosler NBT is notoriously snug

Nosler brass is notoriously soft. You may have a bit of a rough chamber, or it has some left over oil or solvent in it.

1. Get a bore guide to use when cleaning. This will help keep stuff out of the chamber.
2. Get a chamber brush. When you are done cleaning, wrap a larger patch around the brush, soak it in brake cleaner and use it to scrub out your chamber.
3. Don't clean the gun as much. Once groups start to open up, then clean it.

TaperPin

WKR
Not all factory chambers are created equal - some are slightly larger or smaller, different reamers can have slightly different tapers and clearances, not to mention surface finish can range from great to very rough.

If your chamber is roughish, smallish, and lacks a tiny bit of body angle, you are simply more likely to have these “clickers”.

The rifle’s bolt may not be “timed” as well as it could be to provide maximum extraction force on the bolt opening, so you notice it more than otherwise.

A dirty chamber will also make it more likely. I’ve seen big flakes of carbon from a dirty can wedge itself in the neck of the chamber and cause problems.

For the most part it’s annoying and not serious, but you could have a gunsmith smooth out a rough chamber, or chase a small chamber with a normal size reamer.