Effects of the Elk Fire on Bighorn Mts. Elk hunting?

7RemMag

FNG
First off, to any of you fellas up around Dayton, Ranchester, and Sheridan WY currently watching as the fire barrels down the mountain towards your homes, you have my thoughts and prayers.

That being said, with the general elk season quickly approaching, I am curious as to what the thoughts are as to how this may affect the hunting in the Bighorns.

The elk generally move from the high country to lower elevations (and private land) pretty early on in the season. However, the weather has been unseasonably warm this year. This fire, which has at least so far burned primarily area 38, a draw unit, and a relatively small portion of Area 37( General) adds another layer to my curiosity.

I know the area is pretty popular because it’s a general area and a lot of fellas just like me can make quick and easy weekend trips over there. What are anyone’s thoughts as to the implications of the fires on this season?

As of right now there is virtually no easy access to area 37,all of the east side access is closed,might be able to get up there from the west or south somehow. I was thinking of doing general for the first time since 2015,but not now. Critters are gonna be stressed and I'm not gonna add to it.

As of right now there is virtually no easy access to area 37,all of the east side access is closed,might be able to get up there from the west or south somehow. I was thinking of doing general for the first time since 2015,but not now. Critters are gonna be stressed and I'm not gonna add to it.
I know the road I’ve used in the past to get up into Cloud Peak is currently closed. Hopefully they get the fire out. With a resident general tag I have lots of other opportunities but the Bighorns are close. I like hunting that territory but we’ll see how things shake out over the next couple weeks.

Back