Eberlestock JP9 Blue Widow

So I saw what I hope is a decent deal on this pack (eberlestock jp9 blue widow)new under $300 and bought it. I have been looking at reviews on all the big name packs and i just cant drop that kind of $ on a pack before I even go on a hunt and inevitably get bit and fall in love with backcountry hunting. So does anyone have or used one of these to tell me yes good buy or your a fool and throw it away you wasted your money. Hope to here from everyone good or bad

Warren

KurtR

WKR
How do you plan on using it. I had a j34 i thought would fit the bill i am now waiting for my kifaru to be shipped.

It will haul all your camp plus things you don't need. Isn't it over 7000 ci if you add the spike camp?
With a full load it can be a challenge to draw a bow in certain positions as it gets wider as opposed to taller.
Hard to really engage the load lifters with a heavy load but you can pack elk out with it.
It's a good pack to get started with and will serve you well. As you mature in the pursuit of backpack hunting you may find yourself looking to upgrade but having that pack now means you still have $400 to buy other gear or tags with.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
I have one that I used on my 10 day Colorado elk hunt, we packed in about 4 miles with 70lbs and it did well, before I went I would go to the local 3d shoot with 60 to 70lbs in it and shoot the course, I had no issue drawing and shooting. I didn't pack an elk out so I cant give you any info there. I live in Michigan and don't get to hunt out west much so I wouldn't spend more money on a pack unless I could hunt the mountains every year. Here is a pic with 70lbs loaded. I am 6' and 190lbs.

Attachments

• 42575fcc-aab9-ec52.jpg
    42575fcc-aab9-ec52.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 89

jmez

WKR
That is a good deal. I used the same pack for 3 years and it served me well. Hauled both camp and elk in it. They are made well and will last. They will do everything a high end pack will just a little less comfortable with really heavy loads. Not a waste of money at all.

I'm actually glad I bought and used one prior to spending twice as much money for a higher end pack right off the bat. I, like you, when I started didn't know anything about packs and wasn't sure If I'd even continue to use one in the future. Use this pack for a few years and you will figure out what you like and what you don't like. Then, when and if you do decide to upgrade, you can make an informed decision on a more expensive pack based on which features are important to you. The higher end packs have pluses and minuses just like the mid range stuff.

KurtR

WKR
My experience is with the j34 but it has same internal frame. I trained with it all year last year with 60 pounds and i tried to tune it best i could it still killed my shoulders. In Idaho i only has 40 ish pounds maybe i ended up leaving my spotting scope and tripod in the cabin as it was beating up my shoulders as the load lifters are pretty much not functional on those packs. We had 4 eberlestocks in the group and they are now all sold with a couple exo and kifarus in the bunch i tried a friends kifaru and there is no comparison in how it hauls and how comfortable it hauls it. I am budget minded so i thought that spending that extra money really cant get that much more i was wrong but i will also use my pack here in Sodak for deer and coyote hunting so it wont only get used one week.

boom

WKR
my brother loves his. he uses it for everything. i always sneak the biggest elk load to him and he handles it fine.

rbljack

WKR
I was in the same boat as you. My wife, my son, and I ALL drew tags in NM last year. The season was split, so the boy had the earlier tag, and the wife and I had the later tag, so I had to have 2 packs! Needless to say I couldn't drop that kind of cash all at once on 2 kifaru packs...LOL. I ended up with a used Blue Widow, and a used Dragonfly. They both work decent, and are built well, but I have never packed a heavy load with it to say how well it could haul an elk. I do like the layout and design concept, but the bag is heavy to start with, and if you add a superspike duffle, that adds weight too.

For the price point, I don think they are too bad, but I do agree that my shoulders do notice the weight..even at 30-40 pounds. That being said, I have never tried a kifaru pack, but have heard nothing but good things about them.

You can always keep it as a back up pack down the road, or sell it off down the road and upgrade, but in the meantime...use it get some blood stains on it too!

OP
shinerbauck
Thanks for the info and I hope to get some packout time in it. I currently cant use the bag to train but when I get home in a few months I will start packing it around my local area trails with a good load and hope to have a good story to tell come hunting time. safe hunting and take care

Warren

Whip

WKR
I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. It is a decent pack for the money. I've used one to haul elk and it did the job for me, although as has been mentioned the shoulder straps/load lifters could sure be better. Is it on par with Kifaru or some of the other high end top of the line packs? Of course not. If you stay in this game you will eventually want to upgrade.

As jmez mentioned, it is a decent pack to try out and figure out what you really like in a pack and then ultimately upgrade when you can with what you really want. Just look at how many options there are in the Kifaru lineup and you see there is no one perfect pack for everyone. Even if you went top of the line to begin with you might very well find yourself upgrading or changing eventually anyway.

Get a decent deal on one now, use it for a year or two, sell it for $100 loss, and buy your dream pack.