Eberlestock f1 mainframe

Too bad the “shelf” is fixed, a similar design but the ability to move the shelf up would be pretty cool. That frame reminds me of the pack boards I used to use and the weight always ends up low, which makes it hard to get comfortable with a heavy load of meat. If the shelf slid up the frame and could be pinned into different positions, it would be more attractive to me… even if it could only hold like 350lbs😉

I'm looking at F1 as an option - I'm looking for a do-it-all frame that I can make do anything, from backcountry hunting to hauling inflatable rafts, barrels, etc. The weight of the frame seems ok - there are lighter options but none that I see that don't cost twice as much. My only concern with reviews is that the F1 doesn't transfer heavy weight well, and I'm wondering if its worth spending more on an Exo, SG, Kifaru, etc. Though, it also seems like the shelf of the F1 might make it easier to deal with hauling any crazy thing I might want to carry?

Im 5'11" and bought the F1 when it first came out. It is too short. It has zero load lifter capabilities. The tall should be the only option.
The belt is useless. It is too short and not nearly padded enough for a heavy load. Sometimes under a load over 40lbs it can be painful. The only way to use this frame is to get the padded belt and the upgraded shoulder straps. There is no reason it shouldnt come with those upgrades at that price.
The frame is too narrow. Adding approximately 2 to 3 inches in width would stabilize this pack a lot. Under load it flops around on me no matter how tight everything is.

Im 5'11" and bought the F1 when it first came out. It is too short. It has zero load lifter capabilities. The tall should be the only option.
The belt is useless. It is too short and not nearly padded enough for a heavy load. Sometimes under a load over 40lbs it can be painful. The only way to use this frame is to get the padded belt and the upgraded shoulder straps. There is no reason it shouldnt come with those upgrades at that price.
The frame is too narrow. Adding approximately 2 to 3 inches in width would stabilize this pack a lot. Under load it flops around on me no matter how tight everything is.
That's really good to know. And add that to the point by roosiebull above that the fixed shelf can actually mean weight can rest more at the bottom of the frame rather than being pinned up close to the back and higher up. I think I might look for other options.

One thing I'm not sure about is the narrow/wide issue for the frame: it seems like the exo/kuiu/kifaru - type frames are all about that narrow or narrower as well?

I have used the f1 for 3 going on 4 seasons now and while it is a great pack frame and extremely adaptable it does have quirks. The shoulder pads destroyed my shoulders when I was broke using a Walmart camo top. Switching from cotton was a must and now I run it with a core lt weight hoodie and have no issues. If you cinch the straps down well you can keep meat up high. It is a narrow pack and I honestly like that if you do any brush busting. It is not the lightest pack of you add a bunch to it but it’s a very good versatile pack that will last forever.