“Easy Button” 308 Varget/168 Grain Load?

Is there an “easy button” load for Varget and 168 grain bullets like Hornady ELD-M or SMK?

I have a new Tikka UPR on the way and would like to fire form some brass.

The H4350 41.5 grain/143 ELD-X load has always been a great shooting load in multiple 6.5 Creedmoors.

I would offer for you to develop the load with your own rifle. Every rifle is a rule into itself and nodes are only a guidance. If that's what you stick with then you may never know what else it could do. As well, you owe it to yourself from a due diligence and safety standpoint to work it up and not take loads from others and blindly use them.

riversidejeep, when you say not as nice on brass I gather you are talking about work hardening or primer pockets getting loose, or both?

OP
General RE LEE
I would offer for you to develop the load with your own rifle. Every rifle is a rule into itself and nodes are only a guidance. If that's what you stick with then you may never know what else it could do. As well, you owe it to yourself from a due diligence and safety standpoint to work it up and not take loads from others and blindly use them.

riversidejeep, when you say not as nice on brass I gather you are talking about work hardening or primer pockets getting loose, or both?

I knew the safety police would show up to virtue signal. Let me ask you this, is it safe to shoot ammo I buy off the shelf? I mean, it’s not developed for my rifle.

I’m smart enough and have enough experience to know what is risky.

I knew the safety police would show up to virtue signal. Let me ask you this, is it safe to shoot ammo I buy off the shelf? I mean, it’s not developed for my rifle.

I’m smart enough and have enough experience to know what is risky.
Whatever, it's not safety police it's good sound practice. Do what you do.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider

Primer pockets and the need to trim more often.

Vern400

WKR
Is there an “easy button” load for Varget and 168 grain bullets like Hornady ELD-M or SMK?

I have a new Tikka UPR on the way and would like to fire form some brass.

The H4350 41.5 grain/143 ELD-X load has always been a great shooting load in multiple 6.5 Creedmoors.
I grain below max of varget. Fed 210/210M/GMM. 165 sierra Spitzer boat tail. Find the lands and back off 0.020. check mag length and set deeper of you must. I've tried that with stunning results on several rifles. Tikka is not like rifles I've loaded for. I'd cook up a -3 and -2 grain from max and pop them first. But it's a free country for now

I grain below max of varget. Fed 210/210M/GMM. 165 sierra Spitzer boat tail. Find the lands and back off 0.020. check mag length and set deeper of you must. I've tried that with stunning results on several rifles. Tikka is not like rifles I've loaded for. I'd cook up a -3 and -2 grain from max and pop them first. But it's a free country for now

Tikka shot tighter with less powder, or was showing pressure signs?

BBob

WKR
308 Win 95 Palma chamber

Norma 168 SMK Fed 210 43.5 Varget ~2730fps ~2.795"

Last edited:

BryanL

Lil-Rokslider
I have 45.0gr Varget, Sierra 168gr TMK with CCI 200 and OAL to 2.80 giving me very good accuracy. Haven’t tested velocity yet, so we’ll see. Going to try some 44.0gr Varget on 178gr ELD-M/X.

Playing with Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR and CFE223 to see what I get with 178gr ELD. If anyone has data for either of those, feel free to share.