Easton 75 grain ss half out vs Brass HIT

JStol5

WKR
That's really not a bad way to go at all, I just can't quite get where I want with total weight up front for hunting with them.

What arrow and point weight do you run?
I have a 28.5 inch draw, shooting a 70lb Mathews V3. I use a 16g HIT, 10g collar, 125g head. AAE max stealth 4 fletch. TAW is roughly 505 grains.

That being said, I would consider lowering my point weight and switching to a 50g brass insert and cutting my arrows a little shorter to keep my weight around 500 grains. I like that weight, I get 265 FPS out of my bow and good penetration.

OP
E
I have a 28.5 inch draw, shooting a 70lb Mathews V3. I use a 16g HIT, 10g collar, 125g head. AAE max stealth 4 fletch. TAW is roughly 505 grains.

That being said, I would consider lowering my point weight and switching to a 50g brass insert and cutting my arrows a little shorter to keep my weight around 500 grains. I like that weight, I get 265 FPS out of my bow and good penetration.
500 is a great spot to be. I'm gifted and cursed with a 31 inch draw so I need a stiff arrow and if I load up the point I end up with a heavy heavy arrow that I don't love the trajectory of. Right now I am running a 480 grain arrow at 295fps and I really like the trajectory of it. I have shot 560 at 280 and much lighter and find my sweetspot somewhere between 450 and 525 out of most of my bows

JStol5

WKR
500 is a great spot to be. I'm gifted and cursed with a 31 inch draw so I need a stiff arrow and if I load up the point I end up with a heavy heavy arrow that I don't love the trajectory of. Right now I am running a 480 grain arrow at 295fps and I really like the trajectory of it. I have shot 560 at 280 and much lighter and find my sweetspot somewhere between 450 and 525 out of most of my bows
I really don’t think FOC is something to get your hair in a bunch over… I think 150-175 grains up front is a great place to be. 500 is a solid weight

S.Clancy

WKR
Brass HIT. I've never had an issue with durability hitting trees and 2x4s at close range and the HIT index to the internal straightness of the arrow, which is the straightest part. Any outsert will index to the outside straightness which will be less straight than the inner everytime.

OP
E
I really don’t think FOC is something to get your hair in a bunch over… I think 150-175 grains up front is a great place to be. 500 is a solid weight
Not really into worrying about foc too much but I agree with 150 to 175... A little more, a little less no big deal. same for arrow weight. As long as the arrow flies really good, I'm Happy. Accuracy over everything has always been my thought.

nphunter

WKR
It really depends on what a person wants for TAW, I have been shooting right at 500gr for the last several seasons IMO this is a good weight for elk and mechanical heads, I've had great luck with this setup. My current arrows are RIP TKO's, 100gr IW HITs, and IW25gr SS collars. This gives me a super durable arrow with 225gr right on the tip which does a great job shoving large-diameter broadheads through animals.

Last edited:

Bump79

WKR

Ethics has their own HIT insert. I while I haven't used their HIT but I'd absolutely use the Ethics aluminum HIT over the brass HIT. Brass isn't particularly strong at all. I'd rather have a longer aluminum that foots further into the shaft than the brass personally.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I have broken most aluminum inserts on hits as well as snapped the broadhead shank right at top thread on the unsupported HIT system cracking out the shaft. My advice is swear off aluminum and HIT. I now use the stainless 75gr Easton outsert. If I want more weight I glue in a brass HIT or brass 3/16 rod (menards 36") behind the stainless outsert.
IMO the HIT system is very weak and was a bad idea for hunting from the start.
I also disagree with above comment on brass. It is much stronger than aluminum in my field experience on animals.

TheViking

WKR

Ethics has their own HIT insert. I while I haven't used their HIT but I'd absolutely use the Ethics aluminum HIT over the brass HIT. Brass isn't particularly strong at all. I'd rather have a longer aluminum that foots further into the shaft than the brass personally.

Not a fan on Ethics aluminum...very soft. Even their steel is 303 and isn't that great. If Ethics improved their materials, they would be the best option, by far (for full outserts). I think material matters more than type. (i.e. HIT w/ collar, full Outsert, etc)

I'd pay a lot more for their components if they made Ti, and hardened steel options.

Bump79

WKR
Not a fan on Ethics aluminum...very soft. Even their steel is 303 and isn't that great. If Ethics improved their materials, they would be the best option, by far (for full outserts). I think material matters more than type. (i.e. HIT w/ collar, full Outsert, etc)

I'd pay a lot more for their components if they made Ti, and hardened steel options.
Fair points. I agree that material type is key, Ethics don't really compare to Iron Will 17-4 PH or Grade 5 Ti. It doesn't get better than G5 Ti in my opinion, as you can then invest that weight for added durability in other areas.

Personally, I wouldn't be too worried the HIT being strong enough as it's completely encased in carbon. I do agree that an increase in material quality would be great and I'm also not a big fan of their outserts. Depending on the temper 303 stainless will be stronger than a brass insert and if the aluminum is 6061 it is equivalent or stronger than brass. I don't hear many people have problems with brass HIT's bending so I'd think that a longer aluminum (if equivalent) would be sufficient.

As for half outs in 204 - I'd be really interested to try the Firenock .204 system in Ti with the carbon footer.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Finishing up my arrow build for this fall
Running victory Rip tko's 29 inches carbon to carbon with stock nock and 3 aae max stealth. Trying to decide what to run up front. I've always liked hit inserts with my older axis builds, but started to play with the easton stainless 75 grain halfouts. I really like the simplicity of the install with them and the fact that I don't need a collar to shore up the front of the arrow. I hear people talk about the half outs bending, but haven't yet had this experience.

Does anybody have direct experience with both?

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks guys
I run easton axis 4mm but I chose to use the 95 stainless steel halfouts. Heavy arrow coming out of a fast bow and I have had no breakage or bending after 100s of shots. Still fly straight.

entropy

FNG

I absolutely agree with you about Ethics aluminum. I built a set of BE Spartans with their all-aluminum outsert system a couple of years ago (for whatever reason, they don't make a steel sleeve that works with that shaft). Those arrows flew really well, but both outserts would no longer spin after going through a deer and sticking in the ground on the other side.

However, you must be pushing a lot more KE than I am if you've had issues with their steel. I've built BE Carnivores and Rampages, Easton Bloodlines, and Sirius Apollos with their steel sleeve/aluminum post setups. Killed multiple deer with all except the Eastons, several hard impacts in all cases. Only one of those arrows ever got a wobble.

I'm sure it could be better, but I have had minimal issues with it.

OP
E
Revitalizing this thread for a question...

I started using the gold tip 75 grain stainless half outs last year for pure simplicity sake. My only issue with them- I just can't honestly tell if the tolerances on them are that good. Since they're in rip tko sports (.006) on my practice arrows I just can't tell if the little bit of movement I see when spinning them by placing the field tip on the table and spinning them (not the best method but I don't have a spinner yet) .

Anybody used them extensively?

I'm thinking of using them in my practice arrows and potentially my hunting arrows if I decide to not go with 75 grain brass hits.

I like the built in shoulder of the GT half out. They have seemed durable enough for my practice arrows but I'm just not sure I trust any gold tip components when it comes to broadheads spinning true just yet. I don't hear of a ton of guys using them long term so I'm still kicking it around.

Last year I shot deer with the gold tip half out and easton stainless half out, my elk with an easton half out and they all seemed to be durable enough for the job and with mechanicals they all flew fine. My concern with the gold tip is I've never heard good things about gold tip components having good tolerances so I'm leary that a fixed blade might not shoot well using them so I don't want to switch my whole arsenal of arrows over. I like the stainless half outs from easton but they're a different size field tip and they don't fit in every one of my rip tkos super well... some of them are pretty darn snug.

Marble

WKR
I know some guys really like the half outs, but for the reason you mention above concerning tolerances, it's why I use the brass HITs.

I do use the little BAR from easton. They work well, square the arrow to the shaft, and only add 5 grains.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Revitalizing this thread for a question...

I started using the gold tip 75 grain stainless half outs last year for pure simplicity sake. My only issue with them- I just can't honestly tell if the tolerances on them are that good. Since they're in rip tko sports (.006) on my practice arrows I just can't tell if the little bit of movement I see when spinning them by placing the field tip on the table and spinning them (not the best method but I don't have a spinner yet) .

Anybody used them extensively?

I'm thinking of using them in my practice arrows and potentially my hunting arrows if I decide to not go with 75 grain brass hits.

I like the built in shoulder of the GT half out. They have seemed durable enough for my practice arrows but I'm just not sure I trust any gold tip components when it comes to broadheads spinning true just yet. I don't hear of a ton of guys using them long term so I'm still kicking it around.

Last year I shot deer with the gold tip half out and easton stainless half out, my elk with an easton half out and they all seemed to be durable enough for the job and with mechanicals they all flew fine. My concern with the gold tip is I've never heard good things about gold tip components having good tolerances so I'm leary that a fixed blade might not shoot well using them so I don't want to switch my whole arsenal of arrows over. I like the stainless half outs from easton but they're a different size field tip and they don't fit in every one of my rip tkos super well... some of them are pretty darn snug.
For what its worth, I built some easton Axis 4mm with their 95g SS halfout which I have to order to get them where I live. Super durable and they all seem top spin well, even with my iron wills on them. Been super tough for me as well. Shot the Iron wills today and they fly great.

I actually ditched the gold tip halfouts. I felt they caused more issues for me then the halfouts from Easton

I am sure there are other components that are superior, but for the easy of putting together, I like the halfouts.

Next year I will dabble in the HIIT systems but I have 15 arrows built already and tuned for this year and they work for me and fly like darts.

OP
E
For what its worth, I built some easton Axis 4mm with their 95g SS halfout which I have to order to get them where I live. Super durable and they all seem top spin well, even with my iron wills on them. Been super tough for me as well. Shot the Iron wills today and they fly great.

I actually ditched the gold tip halfouts. I felt they caused more issues for me then the halfouts from Easton

I am sure there are other components that are superior, but for the easy of putting together, I like the halfouts.

Next year I will dabble in the HIIT systems but I have 15 arrows built already and tuned for this year and they work for me and fly like darts.
I like the easont half outs, but they fit really really snug in my rip tkos and because of their different diameter I end up with another size of field tip

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I like the easont half outs, but they fit really really snug in my rip tkos and because of their different diameter I end up with another size of field tip
Yeah I ran into that as well. Easton uses 5/16 field points in those. Kind of a pain but it works. Might have to use the shoks from victory. The steel ones I have sit over the shaft a little like the shoks do, so practically the same thing.

When I called easton, the 4mm required #5. If you got a different size, that might be the issue.

If victory components work and fly well I'd use them. Had good luck in my xtorsions last year with them.