Eastern washington and oregon elk hunting.

Who's hunted these areas before? How difficult is the terrain? Any recommendations on gear specific to these areas or with the typical gear list work?

There’s a large variation in “terrain” across eastern Washington and eastern Oregon. That’s a huge area to try and generalize. I am no elk hunter, but you might specify the unit or area to get better advice. Assuming the blues since you reference WA and OR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going to assume you are talking the Blue mountains since they run from WA to OR. The terrain is pretty brutal if you get off the roads. Typicall gear works just fine.

Hunted the Eagle Caps in OR, and Chesnimnus. It’s a mix, but everywhere accessible has people - and what’s not is no joke. If you’re prepared, it’s doable and can’t miss scenery. I loved it.

And paid for it. But also hauled my only archery elk out. It was really rough but worth it.

With a few exceptions (Eagle caps, hells canyon) the terrain is nothing particularly challenging. It’s mostly open and not crazy steep; that’s why everyone drives over from the coast to hunt it.

Most of Eastern Wa is spike only. The draw tags for bull keep getting paired down. I don't think you'll need any special or specific gear.

I spend some time in the blues but usually in the foothills. The wa side can get steep but not as bad as parts of Idaho.

If you’re thinking of hunting elk in Eastern, WA on an OTC tag, I HIGHLY recommend you do your due diligence. Zero chance I would. Zero.

I've hunted oregon and the two areas, Archery hunts, that I hunted had good elk populations, and zero hunting pressure. No idea after Archery, but to me has been the most underrated elk hunt I've found. But I wasn't on otc hunts. Drew with 0 and 1 point however.

You found a unicorn. I’d keep that info under your hat.
Those were in two different areas/units at different times. Hard to imagine I got that lucky on the only two hunts I've ever been on in that state. And didn't even see hunters on the highways traveling. If that was all luck, I'll take it, but I'm a bit skeptical based on how my luck runs...

Oregon is number 3 in elk population, right behind Montana. Lots of elk, just not managed very well.

Those were in two different areas/units at different times. Hard to imagine I got that lucky on the only two hunts I've ever been on in that state. And didn't even see hunters on the highways traveling. If that was all luck, I'll take it, but I'm a bit skeptical based on how my luck runs...
I’m not discounting your story. I’ve hunted Oregon my hole life east and west. I’ve had similar experiences in many units. I’ve also gone back to same spot the following year and been ran out by people. If you have a spot that works for you all I’m saying is the last thing I would do is put it on the internet how great and easy it is. We have very high elk numbers. If you can’t find an Elk to at least look at in about any unit your doing something wrong. But as mentioned it is not managed well. There are places you can get away from people. We pack in ten miles in some units and still run into people though. As soon as my boys graduate I will be moving to a state that is more worth while to have a resident hunting license and I doubt I will hunt Oregon again.

As stated above, eastern WA has a vast variety of terrain. Any unit with a decent amount of elk will be spike only and most likely very steep terrain, aka the blues. Samong is stud and has done well, but most public land hunters in the northeast are lucky to lay eyes on an elk during the short seasons WA offers. Very thick and bigger/steeper country than people think. It is what it is.

Eastern Oregon and Washington are not too bad. Depending on the year it can be hot. Water is key for you and the elk. I run trail runners and light pants with a lightweight long-sleeved shirt for sun protection. I think it is the KUIU Gila. If you can get there and scout before season it is extremely helpful. It can be steep but it not like you are hunt sheep.

Pay attention to your nose. I often find them by smelling them first. Dont be obsessed with going deep either.

As stated above, eastern WA has a vast variety of terrain. Any unit with a decent amount of elk will be spike only and most likely very steep terrain, aka the blues. Samong is stud and has done well, but most public land hunters in the northeast are lucky to lay eyes on an elk during the short seasons WA offers. Very thick and bigger/steeper country than people think. It is what it is.

Yeah, my point mentioning Samong is to show that it’s possible to get it done. I don’t want people to deny themselves the opportunity just because they think it will be hard.

I have hunted both eastern OR and WA - there are definitely elk available if you are willing to work for it. All it takes is time.... haha! I will say any unit in WA that is designated "any elk" for archery, rifle, or muzzleloader on the east side is that way because the elk population is almost nonexistent. Not to say you couldn't get lucky - but that's how it is. Draw tags are another story but odds are pretty rough for nonresident and resident alike.

Back