E-Scouting; Navigating the back country

Look at your Tapo map. Now squint your eyes till things get blurry. All the areas that look like they’re just shaded and brown or places you don’t want to attempt hiking. When those contour lines start getting 1/16 of an inch apart, it’s too steep.

But make no mistake, somewhere above or below or next to those places the elk have a route that gets them where they need to go.

OP
jermlacey12
Look at your Tapo map. Now squint your eyes till things get blurry. All the areas that look like they’re just shaded and brown or places you don’t want to attempt hiking. When those contour lines start getting 1/16 of an inch apart, it’s too steep.

But make no mistake, somewhere above or below or next to those places the elk have a route that gets them where they need to go.
Great thought about checking the in between areas for elk sign. Thank you

OP
jermlacey12
Hard to tell sometimes without boots on the ground. Topolines are the best indicator but they can be misleading at times. I hunted a new area in Colorado a few years ago and was cliff ed out 2-3 times where the topo maps just showed a steep gradually slope.

I like to measure (in onx or google earth) the distance and elevation gain on slopes I've climbed or tried to climb to give me an idea when e-scouting new areas i.e 1000ft up per 1mile and look at max slope. In Google earth I also change the 3d Elevation Exaggeration to about a 1.4-1.5 and it seems to match up pretty well. I also like the older USGS maps vs topo lines over an image if looking at terrain.

So again boots on the ground helps. So if you can't scout have plan B - D...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
With google earth, it doesn’t look like it’s showing accurate vegetation. Is there a layer or feature to get the proper images for the time of year?

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
If the mesa type country you are referring to is in Northwest Colorado, proceed with caution. If you aren't well versed in topo maps, you may not understand the magnitude of those canyons and mesas. Huge area and you'll drop a million pins while escouting just to show up and find out you aren't making it to 70% of them. A lot of 90⁰ ledges you should steer well clear from. In my opinion, mountains are much easier to navigate.

OP
jermlacey12
If the mesa type country you are referring to is in Northwest Colorado, proceed with caution. If you aren't well versed in topo maps, you may not understand the magnitude of those canyons and mesas. Huge area and you'll drop a million pins while escouting just to show up and find out you aren't making it to 70% of them. A lot of 90⁰ ledges you should steer well clear from. In my opinion, mountains are much easier to navigate.
I’m hunting western CO, feeling better about the topo details after all this help. You got any tips on finding elk in mesa country?

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hunting western CO, feeling better about the topo details after all this help. You got any tips on finding elk in mesa country?
Bring the best glass you can. In that hot country they rarely let the sun hit their backs before they bed. After they bed you've got all day to figure out how to get to them. Be on the glass before sunrise. Let them bed and come up with a game plan to get in close. Most people won't drop down in the bottoms for good reason, but if you do, bring extra water and a friend. Leave the calls in the pack and rely on your eyes unless they are fired up in an area conducive to calling.

ndbuck09

WKR
looping back on that question comparing gaia to onx topo...yes, the usgs layer is a better topo layer than the free gaia topo.

From this thread, caltopo is really intriguing me though. That map posted looks amazing!