E-Bike (DIY direct Order)

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I mentioned on another thread you can get a "clone" of big company ebikes factory direct from China for far less $. I got a dozen or so PMs asking and I disclosed that although I looked into the process, I had not followed through. Although things in the PNW are looking bleak for Ebike success I have decided it would be a fun experiment since I have time and money to see where this goes. Most private timber companies (but not all) as well as WA DRN have specified NO EBIKES, but a few still do and some scenarios allow advantages to Ebikers. At any rate, if you care to follow along this will be my China direct Ebike journey.

SO, I spent time on many ebike threads on bike nerd forums(imagine hunting nerds but they ride bikes). They talk about chain material strength, what a nononewton is, kilowatt-hour hacks, and the advantage of a 10 speed vs 11 speed drivetrain.. If you want to get lost in their ramblings, endless-sphere is a good place to start. From all of that, I decided I wanted a mid drive bafang 510 mid as my base. I got on Alibaba and searched through endless distributors until I found a frame I liked as well as a company that would sell a single piece. The end compromise with the distributor I found was the following..
Frame: aluminium alloy
Motor: 48V750W bafang mid motor
Battery: 48V 17.5Ah LG
Controller:Intelligent brushless
Charger:AC 100-240V,3A smart charger Front fork: Air Suspension fork
Wheel: 27.5 * 3.0 Kenda
Brake: Tektro Hydralic Disc Brake

You'll find these components aren't far off your internet based high end Ebike company. All I requested on this build was a second battery. The total for this build is $1880. I am just about to tell the fella yes, so you are going to be updated on the journey moving forward with how it goes. From what I understand I am in for a 1-8 month wait on the bike. Along with customs hastles, shipping damages, etc. But since others were interested, I figured I'd keep everyone in on what it takes to save considerable cash.

**** I am all about American made, however, none of these bikes are. The American companies that sell these bikes are buying the literal exact same frame I did from the same folks and charging 3-8× as much to sell them to those with flat brimmed hats and gigantic phelps tubes (sorry if thats you).. Living the American dream, I guess..

Broomd

WKR
Did you build this bike? Curious, with the Quietkat crazy prices on the 1000w mid-motor and full suspension.
Did you capitalize on that or build?

khuber84

WKR
I've ridden the quietlat 1000w suspended bike, my buddy got one, plus a lower tier model for his woman. It was a dang impressive machine! They're made with China parts too though, granted all warranty parts and repairs are covered state side, which is nice. I'd def like to get an ebike, I just don't want to spend money equivalent to a quality used dirt bike.

OP
shootnrun

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I have placed my order. I opted for a model with an integrated battery-17.5 AH. I got the bike with a spare battery for $1880. The rub is, with Shipping it came out to just under $2400. 45 day build time as it is just in que with a large order. Then another roughly 45 days for shipping. Again, this isn't as easy as walking into a store and buying a bike. The savings comes in the waiting and minor inconveniences.

I went with a hard tail as I'm told when towing a trailer the rear suspension takes away some of the towing efficiencies.

I'll get the spec sheet up when I get a chance.

Can you get a larger battery? The bakcou come with upto a 23ma battery I believe

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
shootnrun

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
You can get a different frame with the ability to carry larger batteries if you'd like.
If you calculate AH to $ based on the upgrade cost, you are frequently going to be better off getting two batteries than spending the $ to upgrade To a single higher AH battery. IE, upgrading 17AH to 23 or 25 AH for $500 nets you 5-8 AH VS just purchasing a second 15-17 AH battery for $600. Your return on investment is higher buying a second battery VS paying for the upgrade.

OP
shootnrun

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I just got word my bike is done and will ship later this week. This is the photo they sent prior to boxing.

Attachments

• Alibaba1567657418.png
    Alibaba1567657418.png
    195.1 KB · Views: 98

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can get a different frame with the ability to carry larger batteries if you'd like.
If you calculate AH to $ based on the upgrade cost, you are frequently going to be better off getting two batteries than spending the $ to upgrade To a single higher AH battery. IE, upgrading 17AH to 23 or 25 AH for $500 nets you 5-8 AH VS just purchasing a second 15-17 AH battery for $600. Your return on investment is higher buying a second battery VS paying for the upgrade.
You also aren't carrying around a second battery with a higher AH battery on the frame. Those batteries are heavy, and cumbersome.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Never hurts to have a second battery, but there's a lot of pluses for the higher capacity battery to be installed on the frame instead of carrying a ten pound spare on your back or on the rack

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

ghost338

FNG
QuietKat advertised "VPO" with mode selection on the Ibex. Is that feature available with this or similar bikes?

OP
shootnrun

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't done a deep dive into what they are advertising. But I have seen several bikes that allow you to change between class 1,2 or 3 in the control module. Idk that it is new technology... These bikes allow you to make several changes. And you can buy programmers to change the module as well if you're into that sort of thing

OP
shootnrun

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
My bike shipped Tuesday. I guess there was a hangup at the factory with batteries and they didn't want to send it separately. Well see how long it takes to actually get here.

I used Sobowo as a distributor. Their rep has been very responsive and great to work with. They are in China, so most communications have been 4pm-4am PST. This can make communications take a while as I don't generally stay up on my phone all night.

OP
shootnrun

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
Bike was delivered today. From delivery to my door was about 2 months. The bike was well wrapped and packaged and arrived undamaged. I had to set the handlebars, pedals and front tire. Checked the other fasteners to be safe and adjusted the levers to a comfortable position. In all it took maybe 45 min. Most of which was getting all the shrink wrap off. But it came a long ways, mostly om a boat, so I appreciate the effort to keep the finish undamaged.

First impressions of the ride, this thing is a beast with thr bafang 1500. Throttle only I hit 25MPH in front of my house. Hoping to get it out this next week and test it out more.

Attachments

• 20231230_111648.jpg
    20231230_111648.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 59
  • 20231230_093552.jpg
    20231230_093552.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 59

rclouse79

WKR
Nice. Under the tutelage of an old friend and fellow rokslider, I just ordered a Bafang 1000 w motor with a 52V 20 amp hr battery kit to convert a used specialized fatboy I picked up. I am excited to see how it turns out.

OP
shootnrun

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I had a work schedule change which has limited my free time, so not lately. I'll post updates once I get more time to rip around