Dwight Schuh on The Stalk

All time favorite. I learned so much from this book. My personal copy is massively highlighted and worn from being read and re-read many times.

Great timing. I just finished re-reading it for about the 10th time in preparation for my Colorado Archery hunt this year. As I was reading through Dwight's gear list in the back of the book, I couldn't help but think how almost nothing has changed. Sure, the packs are lighter, optics better and camo more advanced, but the primary gear on my list is almost identical to Dwight's list from 1985. A true pioneer!

TaperPin

WKR
Back in the late 1980’s I was given a Dwight Schuh pack to test and write about. I modified the bag, replaced the suspension with that for a Dana Design external frame pack and hunted with it nearly 10 years. Back then a dedicated hunting pack was almost unheard of, other than external meat hauler frames. Now I wish I had kept it just to hang on the wall.

It’s not clear in the photo, but the bag is down low on the frame, then a sleeping bag in black stuff sack, and tent on top. The green stuff sack that looks awkward sticking so far back is a food bag for 6 days so it’s pretty light. This is probably 1989 and my gear list has stayed 99% the same since then other than updated lighter items and different brands of clothing as things worn out. That old Cabela’s Goretex shell is a blast from the past.

Good times. :)

EDF36F73-DBEB-4D34-B1F9-73EB29C9EBD1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great timing. I just finished re-reading it for about the 10th time in preparation for my Colorado Archery hunt this year. As I was reading through Dwight's gear list in the back of the book, I couldn't help but think how almost nothing has changed. Sure, the packs are lighter, optics better and camo more advanced, but the primary gear on my list is almost identical to Dwight's list from 1985. A true pioneer!
that's so interesting! gear is outdated but no the list

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the late 1980’s I was given a Dwight Schuh pack to test and write about. I modified the bag, replaced the suspension with that for a Dana Design external frame pack and hunted with it nearly 10 years. Back then a dedicated hunting pack was almost unheard of, other than external meat hauler frames. Now I wish I had kept it just to hang on the wall.

It’s not clear in the photo, but the bag is down low on the frame, then a sleeping bag in black stuff sack, and tent on top. The green stuff sack that looks awkward sticking so far back is a food bag for 6 days so it’s pretty light. This is probably 1989 and my gear list has stayed 99% the same since then other than updated lighter items and different brands of clothing as things worn out. That old Cabela’s Goretex shell is a blast from the past.

Good times. :)

View attachment 739835
best pic on Rokslide this month! #vintage!!

I forgot that Dwight did release some proprietary gear.

TheTone

WKR
I’d love to know how many times I rented Dwight Schuh and Larry Jones hunting videos from my local video store as a kid. I always enjoyed his magazine articles as well. He was a true original that so many of todays “famous” hunters are emulating

TaperPin

WKR
The hip belt that came on the Dwight Schuh Coleman Peak 1 plastic framed packs were horrible hip killers. I can’t remember what I changed mine out to but the original sucked big time :)
Yes the suspension was unusable! All this talk about that old pack piqued my interest so I tracked down a used one to rebuild to how I was using it - we took the hip and shoulder straps off the DANA external frame and rebuilt 3 packs this way. I’m going to show up to shoot rocks sporting this retro pack. :)

0F3317DA-DC2A-4EC1-A602-2508789749F1.jpeg9C3C7BAC-1B75-4F62-9706-228B498EA543.jpeg

I think this was my first book on western hunting. Bought it back in the 90s in preparation for my first hunts "out west".

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think this was my first book on western hunting. Bought it back in the 90s in preparation for my first hunts "out west".
and here you are!

Although I already lived here, it's the book that got me bowhunting bucks

And @BBob luckily for him no forums then or he'd never have got the 10th pack sold lol

@TaperPin so you're saying you just bought and rebuilt this pack in the last week? or that's something you did in the past. Either way, was good to see that old fleece bag. I didn't have one but remember them now from guys who did.

TaperPin

WKR
@TaperPin so you're saying you just bought and rebuilt this pack in the last week? or that's something you did in the past. Either way, was good to see that old fleece bag. I didn't have one but remember them now from guys who did.
Both in the past and in the works now.

After this thread started and had me wishing I had kept the pack for old times sake, it seemed it would be fun to recreate it, so I just ordered a complete used external frame pack (same model we used parts from originally), and a used Cabela’s labeled Schuh pack. Neither pack has shown up yet.

In my shooting circle I’m the old guy, so a vintage hunting pack will have the nephews and my shooting buddies laughing out loud. I’ve always thought it was ideal for deer and nice to shoot off of, but wouldn’t want to pack another elk with one. The nylon Peak 1 frame it was designed around is so old now I honestly don’t even know if it is too brittle to use. If it breaks I’ll just hang it on the wall :)

Now I’m lucky enough to have a harness stitcher and industrial walking foot sewing machines, not to mention a wholesale sewing supply warehouse just across town, so this will be an improved vintage version. :)
C288E9AB-6821-4838-AE50-DCC60FC5D9CC.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Both in the past and in the works now.

After this thread started and had me wishing I had kept the pack for old times sake, it seemed it would be fun to recreate it, so I just ordered a complete used external frame pack (same model we used parts from originally), and a used Cabela’s labeled Schuh pack. Neither pack has shown up yet.

In my shooting circle I’m the old guy, so a vintage hunting pack will have the nephews and my shooting buddies laughing out loud. I’ve always thought it was ideal for deer and nice to shoot off of, but wouldn’t want to pack another elk with one. The nylon Peak 1 frame it was designed around is so old now I honestly don’t even know if it is too brittle to use. If it breaks I’ll just hang it on the wall :)

Now I’m lucky enough to have a harness stitcher and industrial walking foot sewing machines, not to mention a wholesale sewing supply warehouse just across town, so this will be an improved vintage version. :)
View attachment 742804
this is great! keep us posted on that project as it comes together. Love the nostalgia!