DVD ripper software recommendations

fwafwow

WKR
For anyone who knows about this, what do you recommend to convert/rip DVD movies to other formats?

Idle hands.... I periodically try to put my house in order, including saving important documents, pointing my wife to things that are important if I kick the bucket, etc. One of those projects is to make duplicates of photos and home movies to store away from home, and to make available for easier viewing. The movies are primarily stored on DVDs (which I will still keep). More info:
  1. I would like output options (and any recommendations - MPEG-4, MP4, other?) so that I can
    • duplicate the "best" format as backups (think putting my most important videos in a safe deposit box) AND
    • have other formats so that we can watch the videos from other devices (including through use of the cloud).
    • I realize I may have to rip a DVD more than once to satisfy both of the above.
  2. These are only home movies - no copyright issues
  3. I don't care how long it takes to rip the files - or the size of the resulting "best" format files
  4. Free would be fine, but I have no problem paying for better software
  5. So far my research has pointed me towards Leawo, Tipard, EaseFab, Aimersoft and Handbrake.
  6. I downloaded and tried iSuper DVD Ripper. It was free, but the output of the first conversion has audio that doesn't sound right, and there are a bunch of output formats that seem to be locked, I'm assuming for a paid version.
Thanks in advance!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
to rip the dvd or bluray or UHD use makemkv. pay for the upgrade. https://www.makemkv.com/
I keep about 1100 movies on my plex media server on a 10TB drive. make mkv is a direct rip off the disc same size, bitrate and audio quality.

Depending on the size of your library use handbrake to encode. https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
Based on what you want to do your really not going to need to encode to get a smaller file.

Last edited:
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks everyone. I edited my post to include that I'm using iOS.

@Reburn - can I view the MKV output file from a computer or TV, or do I need to use Handbrake to encode? I'm happy to encode so that I have a smaller file that I can watch from a phone or TV or the cloud, but I'm just curious if the MKV file is also viewable (and how) so I can take advantage of the higher quality.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Thanks everyone. I edited my post to include that I'm using iOS.

@Reburn - can I view the MKV output file from a computer or TV, or do I need to use Handbrake to encode? I'm happy to encode so that I have a smaller file that I can watch from a phone or TV or the cloud, but I'm just curious if the MKV file is also viewable (and how) so I can take advantage of the higher quality.

You just lost me when you said iOS. I have no idea what native player you could use for a mac machine to view a mkv file. I use Plex media server on my server and I can view my videos on TVs with the app or via a browser. My buddy uses Emby which is the same as plex.

If you enode your essentially losing quality so depending on the size of all the files I may or may not select this option with how cheap storage drives are now.