Durston tents in AK

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering what experience guys had with durston tents in AK weather?

Mainly I do hunts in SE for blacktail which I'm pretty sure it will be fine, but more so wondering about sheep hunts and how it holds up in high winds?

genticles

FNG
Not in Alaska, but I just used the 2p pro on a 2 night float trip on the John Day. Wanted to test it out. Setting it up was a PIA in the wind! Many four letter words. Once I got it pitched it seemed to shed the wind pretty good.

It was effing windy. Lost two tent pegs because they ripped out of the sandy soil and got launched before I could get some rocks on them. The tent stakes provided are insufficient for high wind usage in my opinion. I did have to guy the tent out at all points.

I also purchased the standard 2p back when they first released, but haven’t used it yet and will likely be selling it.

Ram94

WKR
Had a 2P Solid on last years sheep hunt and it held up really well in bad weather and high winds. Setting it up in the wind isn’t hard if you start pegging the upwind side first. I did replace the pegs with msr groundhogs.

bard

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a 2P solid to use solo for northern BC sheep in late sept/ oct. So far I am very impressed. Held up in some good rain. Bone dry inside. set up is a breeze once you get used to it. I could see it being a little tough in the wind though. I have looked all over online to find bad reviews in bad weather and have yet to find any that raise a red flag. Looks like is sheds the wind, snow, and rain very well if pitched proper. I don't think you can have a a bomb proof tent this light but it does make me feel better about taking it than some other mainstream lightweight tents I have used in the past. Only real negative I can see is the pegs may need an upgrade in sandy type dirt

6.5x284

WKR
I would get the 2P solid if you go the Durston route. I had a Pro 2 single wall and dealt with way more condensation then I like to. I imagine you would have even more there. Sweet tents for section or thru hiking where you can camp in spots they regularly have tents. When making my own first camps often on plenty of vegetation for whatever reason I get worse condensation then I do with other single walls. Maybe it was just super damp ground. But for AK I’d run a solid and have that double wall if you are going to be pitching on tundra or wet vegetation.

Stratospire Li is another option that is light and double wall DCF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk