Duplex Timberline 1 - let the wait begin!

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Well after much deliberation I placed a Duplex Timberline 1 (complete with Longhunter lid, 2 medium side pockets, as well as a Grab-it) on order the other day. Lots of back and forth when dropping this much coin, so hopefully this all works out. With so many of these high end pack manufacturers not having a retail location to check them out in person it makes it a bit tougher when you can't try them on anywhere. I was fortunate to recently meet Aron and Patrick and check out some of the packs. I initially started looking at the Nomad and EMR II. I ruled out the Nomad pretty quick for what I was looking for and given time to look at things a bit closer I just decided the DT1 was the pack that should work the best for me. Heres hoping!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what type of hunts and how you plan on using your Timberline and what made you decide to go with it versus the EMR II. I'm still agonizing over this as my Alaska trip this year will be a reality I need to pull the trigger soon. Thanks in advance.

I completely understand. Ordered the same bag, extras plus two small belt pockets, 5 pull outs, 2 compression bags, meat sacks and a gun bearer. No worries, your mobile condo will please you. Got mine for NW moose hunts. Replaces 3 packs already. Much more comfortable.

OP
Duk Dog

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Living in Alberta the pack will see a wide variety of use. My primary use is summer hikes, and sheep hunting in the fall which can range from single day trips to week long excursions. Aside from this there will be moose, elk, and deer hunts that are backpacking in nature with the hopes of course of coming back out with a full pack. For my uses I found the way I like to lay out and organize my pack to be better suited by the DT1. I'm not sure there is a "wrong" answer and believe me I did struggle with my decision but in the end the DT1 won out.

Buckman

WKR
I just got my regular T-1 two days ago. All I have done so far is try it on. I went with flat back carbon stays and the thinner lumbar pad. It feels SO much better this way. My last T-1 had regular carbon stays and the fatter lumbar pad. Granted this is with no weight in it, but wow it feels so much more comfortable without that big ball pushing on my spine, this is all thanks to Aron and Kevin. Thanks guys.

kodiakfly

WKR
What is the wait time on a Kifaru? I saw on their site it's 4-6 weeks I think...is that accurate?

I'm strongly considering an EMRII. Sounds like there's so many options to choose from that I need to call and talk to someone for a while before I order something.

OP
Duk Dog

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Side note, and strictly a personal decision but I opted for aluminum stays. I believe I am a normal back profile but I've read more than once now where a person thought they were a normal profile, but it turned out the flat back stays fit them better. By going aluminum I have the ability to tweak the stays if need be, not possible with the composite ones.

boom

WKR
i recently seen a bud's Stone Glacier. also a great option!!

if my wife wouldnt be pissed..i'd order one to compare to my DT2 with my loads and my body..sell the one that doesnt work as nicely for me.

congrats on the new pack.

amp713

WKR
Living in Alberta the pack will see a wide variety of use. My primary use is summer hikes, and sheep hunting in the fall which can range from single day trips to week long excursions. Aside from this there will be moose, elk, and deer hunts that are backpacking in nature with the hopes of course of coming back out with a full pack. For my uses I found the way I like to lay out and organize my pack to be better suited by the DT1. I'm not sure there is a "wrong" answer and believe me I did struggle with my decision but in the end the DT1 won out.

Well youve got me sold.... Not on that pack, I wanna go with the nomad, but on Alberta! Sounds like the place to be!!! Hahaha

kodiakfly

WKR
I'm in the office today....call anytime

720-937-1418

Thanks Aron. I will...after I do a bit more research of my own on Kifaru on your site so I'm not asking you a bunch of dumb questions...I'll get ahold of you.

Real world, what my wait on a pack? We talking weeks or months, or "maybe I'll have it by September...?"

Duk Dog I don't think you will be disappointed. I used the bikini last year and decided to give the duplex a try this year. It just came in the mail the other day and with 50lbs or so in it I sure like the feel of it better than that of the bikini so far. After working all day outside in this shit weather we've been having lately I haven't been feeling the urge to use it outside yet so initial tests are inside the house but it sure feels good, I can't wait to get it out on some scouting trips.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you order a Duplex Timberline, 4 weeks. The Nomad and EMR II packs will ship in April.
Thanks Aron. I will...after I do a bit more research of my own on Kifaru on your site so I'm not asking you a bunch of dumb questions...I'll get ahold of you.

Real world, what my wait on a pack? We talking weeks or months, or "maybe I'll have it by September...?"

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
And here I went and sent you a lengthy response to your PM, Hahaha.... I guess you already decided. Sorry for the late response.

You will be happy with your choice Duk. A much better choice than the other that you asked about IMO...

Cheers!

OP
Duk Dog

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
And here I went and sent you a lengthy response to your PM, Hahaha.... I guess you already decided. Sorry for the late response.

You will be happy with your choice Duk. A much better choice than the other that you asked about IMO...

Cheers!

PM replied to. Thanks again for the reply and detailed info, it is helpful.

OP
Duk Dog

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Well youve got me sold.... Not on that pack, I wanna go with the nomad, but on Alberta! Sounds like the place to be!!! Hahaha

Haha, ya although not a perfect system we are certainly fortunate with the opportunities in Alberta. That being said BC is the dream province.....

OP
Duk Dog

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Duk Dog I don't think you will be disappointed. I used the bikini last year and decided to give the duplex a try this year. It just came in the mail the other day and with 50lbs or so in it I sure like the feel of it better than that of the bikini so far. After working all day outside in this shit weather we've been having lately I haven't been feeling the urge to use it outside yet so initial tests are inside the house but it sure feels good, I can't wait to get it out on some scouting trips.

Your initial testing of your duplex rig sounds positive. I'm looking forward to getting this pack and trying it out, fingers crossed it fits and works as I hope. Hopefully by then this crappy minus -30'ish winter weather has warmed up. Good grief its been chilly of late. Bring on spring and time in the mountains!!

OP
Duk Dog

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my pack and have gone over it very briefly to figure out whats what, super stoked to try it out. I've been running a MR pack of one form or another for a few years so the first differences I notice are the prominent lumbar pad, as well the shoulder and waist straps are less padded than the MR. I'll get looking at it more closely later tonight and hopefully try it out over the weekend. :)

Last edited:
OP
Duk Dog

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
This seems odd? For lack of better name the strap that runs along the top of the frame so you can use it as a handle to lift up the pack runs over the top of my load lifter straps. Seems that it should run under the load lifters? The outer most buckles are for the top lid of the pack.