Dumb Q about Scope turrets and BC. Please help!

wildfish

FNG
Hi all,
I'm a long time 100 yard east cost shooter. I recently drew a pronghorn tag and am getting set up to 300 yards. I've re-zeroed to 200 yards. And now I'm practicing spinning the dials on the scope.

I'm trying to avoid math in the field. I want a calculator that will just tell me how many "clicks" to turn the dial. But I'm confused. I downloaded the hornady calculator and this is what it looks like with my rifle/ammo combo. At 333 yards, for example, it says to come up 4.57 MOA. My Leupold scope has 1/4 MOA clicks. So to me that means come up 4x 4.57 or about 18 clicks. But when I do I'm WAY off. However, when I come up 4 clicks I'm on target. Does the calculator give me "clicks" or MOA? Or am I an idiot?

Here's what it looks like (attached). Please help this treestand shooter learn to turn the dials. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240816-093240.png
    Screenshot_20240816-093240.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 53

Hnthrdr

WKR
Few things, 1 have you verified muzzle velocity? 2. Have you checked your zero setting on the app to make sure it knows you have 200 yard zero instead of a 100 yard zero. If you are dialing I’m not sure why you would zero at 200 over 100. 3 using a leupold scope, have you checked the turrets to see if they are correct? Ie, dialing up and down at 100 yards?

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Like the guys said above. Make sure your rifle settings reflect a 200 yard zero. Have you chrono'd your rifle? Published muzzle velocity on the box can be wildly different from your actual rifle due to barrel length.

Also, unless your trying to use (Max Point Blank Zero) using a 100 yard zero is probably more accurate and easier to find.

"Find your own truth"

If all your settings and variables are correct in the app and you're still hitting high then make your own dope card to reflect what the paper is showing you.

Id go back to a 100 yard zero.

Developing your own dope chart is always best.

Find the clicks you need to make it happen. Range, dial, shoot. Use what you know with 100 yd zero. Makes life easier, at least for me.

Post edited to prevent misinformation I'd incorrectly stated earlier. My apologies OP & others.

Last edited:
OP
W

wildfish

FNG
Thank you all for the info.

So first, I definitely need to get accurate measurements. No, I didn't chrono this load--just read the box. But I have a chrono I use for archery and can get that number.

Second, I zeroed to 200 yards because I hope to get the animal within 200 yards so I can roughly have a point blank shot. I don't want to make adjustments in the field if I can avoid it. Buck fever after all...

And yes, changed the app to 200 yards

BUT Insanelupus--is this correct? "The factor at 300 yds is going to be 3x what it is at 100 yards." So even with a ballistic calculator it's not going to tell me clicks. I still need to do math in the field no matter what? I was really hoping to find an app where I could range the animal and get "click up 5" or whatever. Not "5.5 moa, you figure out how many clicks that is at this range." Am I asking too much?

I shoot a 25cm. 100 yard zero. My 300 yard correction is 4.2moa. 4.5 moa isn’t abnormal. Now if you are sighted at 200, and it wants you to come up 4.5moa, how slow are you shooting?

mcr-85

WKR

So first, I definitely need to get accurate measurements. No, I didn't chrono this load--just read the box. But I have a chrono I use for archery and can get that number.

Second, I zeroed to 200 yards because I hope to get the animal within 200 yards so I can roughly have a point blank shot. I don't want to make adjustments in the field if I can avoid it. Buck fever after all...

BUT Insanelupus--is this correct? "The factor at 300 yds is going to be 3x what it is at 100 yards." So even with a ballistic calculator it's not going to tell me clicks. I still need to do math in the field no matter what? I was really hoping to find an app where I could range the animal and get "click up 5" or whatever. Not "5.5 moa, you figure out how many clicks that is at this range." Am I asking too much?

4 clicks will be 1 MOA whether that is at 100 yards or 1000 yards.

Also don't think in clicks. Just use MOA and dial to the number your calculator or DOPE gives you.

Make sure you are putting good data into your calculator and your scope is tracking correctly. Good data in = Good data out

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Looks like I was wrong. My apologies OP and others.

I'll change my post above to prevent misinformation.

This might be more helpful.

Last edited:

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider

Is you're setting of your app in MOA? and is your click value set to 1/4" MOA. I'm not familiar with the Hornady app, so I can't help much there.

Most apps will only tell you MILs or MOA. If it tells you 4.5 MOA and your using 1/4 MOA click value, you'll have to multiply 4.5 MOA by 4 = 18 clicks.

The Guide

WKR
Hi all,
I'm a long time 100 yard east cost shooter. I recently drew a pronghorn tag and am getting set up to 300 yards. I've re-zeroed to 200 yards. And now I'm practicing spinning the dials on the scope.

I'm trying to avoid math in the field. I want a calculator that will just tell me how many "clicks" to turn the dial. But I'm confused. I downloaded the hornady calculator and this is what it looks like with my rifle/ammo combo. At 333 yards, for example, it says to come up 4.57 MOA. My Leupold scope has 1/4 MOA clicks. So to me that means come up 4x 4.57 or about 18 clicks. But when I do I'm WAY off. However, when I come up 4 clicks I'm on target. Does the calculator give me "clicks" or MOA? Or am I an idiot?

Here's what it looks like (attached). Please help this treestand shooter learn to turn the dials. Much appreciated.
Hello,

My name is Jay and I'd like to help you. First of all, what cartridge are you shooting and what ammunition are you shooting with? 4.5 MOA at 333 yard seems off for most cartridges unless it is a very slow load. My 223 with a 77tmk is 4.5 MOA up at 330 with a 100 yard zero while if I change it to a 200 yard zero it is only a 3.5 MOA up. This combination sheds speed very quickly so most other cartridge and bullet combos will have less come ups.

Jay

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
For big game shots up to 400 yards, you should not be dialing. It is totally unnecessary. Study your ballistics and point blank ranges. Use a holdover reticle if you like, but no need to dial at the specified ranges.
I would respectfully disagree, lots of folks are shooting shorter barreled rifles these days, so at 400 yards drop might be 20+ inches. So completely reasonable to dial. Now if you are shooting very fast/ flat shooting cartridges and using MPB range zero, then you can use hold overs, personally I like to dial any time I have the chance, why not be as accurate as possible?

OP
W

wildfish

FNG
Hi Jay,
You are very right. I checked my numbers in the JBM ballastics calc and got something very different.
I'm using factory Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 creedmoor. 143 gr eldx out of a Tikka t3x hunter. Here's what I get with JBM. I'm going to print this and take to the range to check at 300 and 400 yards.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 11.33.51 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 11.33.51 AM.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 31

The Guide

WKR
For big game shots up to 400 yards, you should not be dialing. It is totally unnecessary. Study your ballistics and point blank ranges. Use a holdover reticle if you like, but no need to dial at the specified ranges.
Do you mean that out to 400 yards I just aim and shoot? I'll have to try that when I don't want to hit what I'm shooting at... 🤦‍♂️

What cartridge is this good for? My 6 ARC is dropping 36 inches at 400 and my 6.5 PRC is 24 inches at 400. Neither of those would hit an antelope at 400 yards.

Jay

Disagree. Even with a flat shooting cartridge with 3200ish FPS velocity you still are about 20" low of a 100 yard zero at 400 yards.

If your aiming point is off by 1 MOA @ 400 yards, thats 4" of error. If your system/competency misses aim point by 1 MOA, that's another 4" error. Throw in wind, more error. Pretty easy to make a bad shot by guessing and assuming you're close enough.

Hi Jay,
You are very right. I checked my numbers in the JBM ballastics calc and got something very different.
I'm using factory Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 creedmoor. 143 gr eldx out of a Tikka t3x hunter. Here's what I get with JBM. I'm going to print this and take to the range to check at 300 and 400 yards.

Run it again at 2600 FPS. That is closer to what I've seen with that ammo in factory tikkas.

j_volt

WKR
I would recommend a 100 yard zero. It is much more precise.

I am only off 2.1 inches at 200 yards with my gun/load with a 100 yard zero. I know that is a lot of inches (RIGHT?!), but I will just *slightly* hold for that. I don't start dialing until 250 or so, but that is only if I have plenty of time.

YardMOAInch
200​
2.1​
225​
3.3​
250​
4.9​
275​
6.7​
300​
8.8​
325​