Duffle bag as luggage

tony

WKR
Anybody ever use a large duffle bag for luggage?

Planning a trip to Washington state this summer to hit a few parks in the state. I just picked up a decent sized duffle at a good price and was thinking of using if for my checked bag.
I know I'd have to pack breakables like my shave kit better. Was looking at the weight savings vs a wheeled suitcase I have.

ODB

WKR
how much stuff do you intend on taking? i spent 11 days in kenya with a small bag and a filson duffle. Didn't check a thing. Unless I'm taking gear, i dont check anything anymore.

OP
T

tony

WKR
Dang! You guys are serious :D

10 days I think, National parks like we do every year.
Weather dependent clothes, hiking/tourist activities.
Duffle is too big to carry on. Figuring a small day pack as carry on and then use it for our day trips.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did on my last sheep hunt in AK. Got a large enough duffel that would fit my entire backpack in. I then used some decently strong bungee cords at attached the duffel to my rifle case which had wheels. Worked pretty well.

If I was to do it sans rifle case, I’d go with a duffel that had wheels. I’m talking large duffels, not small ones.

I have never owned a suitcase or one of those rolling things. I travel year round, driving and/or flying. I went to Australia for a month and a half… with a big ass duffel bag. I bring a smaller duffel bag with backpack straps for a carry on too.

I use a Cabelas rolling duffel, the Ripcord XL (discontinued with the buyout by Bass Pro) and carry my bow(s), arrows, Kifaru framepack, boots, sleeping bag, tent, extra clothes, etc in it. Duffel weighs 10#s so I pack 39.5 more pounds as required in the big duffel. The rolling wheels and handle are great to move around the airport and the duffle has great handles as well.

Been to the arctic seven times, Australia, etc and it is holding up fine. Very versatile piece of luggage.

Last time I did, I flew into Juneau. The airlines had torn the duffle and everytime it went around the baggage circle it spilled more 45lc. I must have had 10 people picking bullets for me but that was in the 70s.

Counter that with a 45lc cartridge in my dop kit in about 2008 in Boise. They sent guards with automatic weapons to guard me. I didn't have any weapons - just one cartridge. It took them over an hour to sort that out. They treated it like a live grenade.

I don't like to fly anymore.

I used a large north face duffle for trips. Depending on what you are packing for, it can be pretty easy to load it over the airline weight limit so you pay extra $$$.

I use a wheeled duffle bag for longer trips. Shorter like a weekend I use a medium non wheeled duffle.
I always carry on my day pack. My day pack is my travel office and I keep one change of clothes jammed in there or at minimum a clean shirt.

Bert01

FNG
I’ve checked my small mystery ranch duffle before, but mostly use it as a carry on. They are like packs, only get as big as the minimum you need, else you’ll over fill it and be over the 50 pounds.

OP
T

tony

WKR
Thanks all,
Mine is a rubber type material with pack straps that come off. No wheels or hard bottom, not sure of the size.
I'm close to Rocky boots and hit the outlet store every few months. They were having a buy one get 2 free sale. I got this as part of my "2 free"
It will hold 10 days of crap for sure

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a fan of traveling uith a duffel. They seem schizophrenic in terms of organization. Crap slides around, goes everywhere etc. When I did use one, I tended to pack stuff into smaller bags then organize those in the larger duffel. I prefer hard side cases that I can pack tight and keep somewhat organized.