Dudes that are Alaska Bound this fall.......

Awesome offer, I'm going in and out of Fairbanks otherwise I might take you up on it always good to meet fellow rocksliders.

HUNT

FNG
Where can I get some fuel for my jetboil once I get there since the airlines won't let me fly with it? I get into Anchorage at 11pm and leave on the shuttle for Healy at 7:30 am the next day. Thanks for all the info so far. Nice to have a locals insight.

HUNT

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where can I get some fuel for my jetboil once I get there since the airlines won't let me fly with it? I get into Anchorage at 11pm and leave on the shuttle for Healy at 7:30 am the next day. Thanks for all the info so far. Nice to have a locals insight.

HUNT

I can't promise, but I think Walmart sometimes carries JetBoil fuel on their camping aisle. I believe both anchorage walmarts are open 24 hours so that could be a good option. Have also seen it at Fred Meyer, i believe they are open 7a-11pm so maybe hit one on your way out of town, or in wasilla. Otherwise, I know the outdoor store in the strip of shops outside Denali park has it. That's only 11 miles south of Healy, and you will have to pass thru on your way. i imagine they should be open by the time you arrive...

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR

HUNT

What sort of hunt you going on? Fly in, walk on???

HUNT

FNG
I can't promise, but I think Walmart sometimes carries JetBoil fuel on their camping aisle. I believe both anchorage walmarts are open 24 hours so that could be a good option. Have also seen it at Fred Meyer, i believe they are open 7a-11pm so maybe hit one on your way out of town, or in wasilla. Otherwise, I know the outdoor store in the strip of shops outside Denali park has it. That's only 11 miles south of Healy, and you will have to pass thru on your way. i imagine they should be open by the time you arrive...

Being in a shuttle van I doubt they will stop anywhere except for scheduled stops. And probably just long enough to drop off and pick up.

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
If it's guided tell Max what you need. Any guide should be able to make ends meet on what you can't get on the plane before coming.

Plus, if its guided why you even need a stove??

HUNT

FNG
If it's guided tell Max what you need. Any guide should be able to make ends meet on what you can't get on the plane before coming.

Plus, if its guided why you even need a stove??

Im the independent type i guess. I don't need the guide to whip me up something to eat anytime i get hungry. Figured my own stove would make it easier.

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
Yeah but doesn't a guide handle meals on a guided sheep hunt??

At the very least I'm betting he either has or can get jetboil fuel pretty quick.

Besides, jetboil canisters aren't allowed on air taxis even within state. That counts for even us residents!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Besides, jetboil canisters aren't allowed on air taxis even within state. That counts for even us residents!

This isn't entirely true...it depends on the taxi service and what their hazmat rating is. Some are allowed to fly it, others don't ask, and still others are adamant about making sure they don't transport it. Best to know the policy of your particular air service.

Regarding the OP, if it can be transported I am sure your guide can help you figure out where to get some around Healy if they don't have some on site you can use.

HUNT

FNG
This isn't entirely true...it depends on the taxi service and what their hazmat rating is. Some are allowed to fly it, others don't ask, and still others are adamant about making sure they don't transport it. Best to know the policy of your particular air service.

Regarding the OP, if it can be transported I am sure your guide can help you figure out where to get some around Healy if they don't have some on site you can use.

I'll just drop him an email. Thanks for the info.

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR

True, but, it's best going into it assuming. This is guided so he has a lesser relationship with the pilot.

Last edited:
Hunt,

I have flown to Fairbank from Seattle with Compressed gas cartridges in my check baggage without any problems or being confisgated, and then into the bush as well with them. I just did the same thing 1 month ago from Seattle to Chicago Ohare without any problems and Colorado last year. I fiqure if they take them then I get new ones upon arrival of my destination.

HUNT

FNG
Hunt,

I have flown to Fairbank from Seattle with Compressed gas cartridges in my check baggage without any problems or being confisgated, and then into the bush as well with them. I just did the same thing 1 month ago from Seattle to Chicago Ohare without any problems and Colorado last year. I fiqure if they take them then I get new ones upon arrival of my destination.

Good to know. I guess if the worst they can do is seize them its probably worth a try.

Will be driving up the middle of October, can't wait. If I am in the area at a decent time I will definately get in contact!

OP
Daniel_M

Daniel_M

WKR
So this must be fairly recent as to my knowledge it was a nogo. The rule of thumb on jet-boil type stuff came about 2 years ago when the FAA did a big crack down on it, many of us got a call from our Air Taxis letting us know it was a no go. So ever since, my general rule of thumb is to not get caught with yer ass in the wind and not be able to manage a stove setup, hence my MSR Dragonfly. I've filled cans up from a plane before.

Checked the TSA links, and came across the following. It was re-routed form the camping page.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/compressed-gas-cylinders

However they are NOT legit on Alaska Airlines.
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...d.aspx?lid=nav:travelInfo-policies#prohibited

So again, traveling with fuel canisters is not the norm, if yer getting through it's the exception. I've made it through with a 3" blade once.

Last edited:
They are considered a flammable gas and are not allowed how I read it. Not compressed air.

Like bearhunter I to have checked them a few times and they even searched my bag but that was before I knew it was a no no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2