Drying boots in the back country

I was wondering if anybody has a surefire method of drying out their boots while in the backcountry? Someone I know suggested taking two Nalgene bottles, filling them with boiling water, and sliding them down into the boots to sit overnight. He said that this has worked okay for him but doesn't get very far into the boot. So, it got me thinking, does anyone have a better way of drying out their boots? I was thinking about taking small oven bags, pushing them down into the toe area, then just folding them out over the top of the boot and dumping boiling water into it to sit overnight. I thought I would do some experimenting here at home and see how this works. Anybody have any better ideas?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
All I ever do pull my insoles out and make sure they are out of the rain.

I guess you could try packing a news paper. Could serve as reading material, crumpled up and placed in the boot for drying, and fire starter if ever needed...

I usually do the same as brock and pull my insoles out every night.

Last edited:

Finch

WKR
I have zero experience with this but what about hand warmers? That would give you a good several hours worth of heat.

Air flow is the most important thing. Taking out the insoles works well, and of course putting them near the stove works very well. I have tried the water bottle method, but its limited at best in my experience.

littlebuf

Banned
i concentrate more on making sure ive got dry socks to put on before i put my still wet boots on in the morning. yet to find a way around that one.

OP
AK Troutbum
The only problem I have with the whole fire idea is that typically where I goat and sheep hunt I am way above tree line and there is next to nothing to burn. I did think about the hand warmer idea but I don't know if they would be worth the wt.

colonel00

WKR
i concentrate more on making sure ive got dry socks to put on before i put my still wet boots on in the morning. yet to find a way around that one.

We did a black bear hunt outside of Valdez, AK several years ago. Of course, being coastal, it rained all the time and my boots were soaked. Since we really didn't pack in, I had plenty of extra socks that were nice and dry but every morning it was so demoralizing to put on nice dry socks and then put them into cold, wet boots.

Beastmode

WKR
Peets makes a propane boot dryer if you aren't packing in. It would be worth having if you didn't have to pack it. Who knows might be worth packing lol.

ColoradoV

WKR
I have a trick that works when we are winter camping or hunting in the snow for long periods of time. This trick is guaranteed to dry your boots bone dry every night, is very simple, and can be light as your heat delivery system is.

You need a couple of pieces of pvc or if packing in a light weight tube 3" or larger in diameter that you can put in your boots and is large enough for air flow around your hand warmers. Cut the top of the pvc that goes where your toes is at a angle for airflow.

pentax014.jpg

Drop a hand warmer in the top of each pvc tube before bed, put your boots on the pipe, and it will draw warm dry air into the toe of your boots all night long and by the am your boots will be dry. The handwarmers are the disposable ones about $1.00 ea

pentax017.jpg

Since I learned this trick from another guide I have never had to put on wet/cold boots again!

Hawkeye

FNG
I carry a pair of seal skin socks with me so my feet stay nice and dry. I sweat a little more in these socks and change socks a couple times a day. I can't stand wet feet.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried the water bottle method and found it lacking. If it's not winter I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I will have wet feet. No matter how many precautions I take it always happens. I am bringing a set of Gore-Tex socks to Kodiak next week to see how they work for me.

Last edited:
i find the goretex socks make my feet so sweaty its not worth it. they work better for putting on at a crossing, then wearing while "walking the boots dry" but i dont like to be in them all day. they are nice around camp.

im interested in this pvc trick but the pictures arent working for me?
edit:
pics are working now.
do they balance ok? making that to try at home this weekend...

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
Great Idea Colorado V. We had a major problem with frozen boots last trip and I will be employing your suggestion next season. We had dreamed up something similar but about 4-5 ft tall that you could hang off the ground above the fire but your tip is better on the boots and much lighter than anything we could have assembled (besides a tree branch or something).

colonel00

WKR
I tried the Goretex socks last year in AK on our fishing trip. We were on a boat for a couple days and I figured it would be a good test. After the first day, my boots were soaked through so I used the socks on the second day. I didn't have any issues with sweating since I was more sedentary just standing and sitting. The socks did keep my feet dry but I also found my feet to be really cold all day. It was so much so that I figured my socks had soaked through and that is why I was so cold. When I finally took everything off, the socks were dry but my feet were frozen.

To be fair, I should add that I was just wearing some white gym socks and nothing with wool or other insulation.

gelton

WKR
I tried the Goretex socks last year in AK on our fishing trip. We were on a boat for a couple days and I figured it would be a good test. After the first day, my boots were soaked through so I used the socks on the second day. I didn't have any issues with sweating since I was more sedentary just standing and sitting. The socks did keep my feet dry but I also found my feet to be really cold all day. It was so much so that I figured my socks had soaked through and that is why I was so cold. When I finally took everything off, the socks were dry but my feet were frozen.

To be fair, I should add that I was just wearing some white gym socks and nothing with wool or other insulation.

This is exactly the problem. A good pair of goretex lined boots will keep your feet dry all day but once the leather gets saturated your feet still feel like they are wet, or frozen, anyway. The only way around it is to dry out the leather completely which without a stove is hard to do without ruining your boots by putting them to close to the fire. Gonna try Colorado V's way next and if that doesn't work I think I will eventually need to go floorless with a stove to dry em out. None of this is a problem on 3 day trips but since I travel from out of state 3 day trips aren't in my vocabulary.

OP
AK Troutbum

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that you probably didn't have enough room in your boots once you put the socks on. I know if I don't have some dead airspace in my boots the circulation to my feet gets cut off, and my feet get cold and will not warm-up. Could this have been the problem? I always take crocs and seal skins to wear around camp, it's nice to get out of my hiking boots and the Seal skins keep my feet dry.

The PVC idea looks very compelling, I think I'm going to have to give it a try.