Dry Bag Size

rspecht55

FNG
I’m looking to purchase a dry bag for my sleep system and other items I need to keep dry. I currently have an Exo 4800 pack. What size of dry bag should I get? What should I consider keeping in my dry bag?
I am going on a September Elk hunt in Colorado and am new to the backcountry hunting world. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what your sleep system consists of, however there are a lot of options out there. EXO has their own liner that is very effective. If you are looking for a bag designed for compressing items such as a jacket, , puffy pants, sleeping bag, quilt, etc... Sea to Summit's E Vent series is pretty good, and Seal Line's Blocker Compression Dry Sack is similar. Both are quality built and light.

Randy1833

FNG
Check out the Overboard Waterproof Dry Flat Bag, sits nicely between your frame and the bag in a 4800. Gives you an extra 1800 CI capacity.

Colorado is pretty dry to be honest but I always have some form of a dry bag. It’s more about what kind of gear you have, then what needs to be in the dry bag. Like down vs synthetic bags and wool vs synthetic clothes. I haven’t found any hunts that it just rains for days and you can’t get anything dry. One question I asked myself was how much rain was I going to be out in? If I’m hiking in and have my pack cover, I’m not super worried. Then after I set camp, everything’s in my tent. If I’m glassing I’ll have my tarp. It’ll be something you work on for years and years. I’d be surprised if my first trip my pack didn’t weigh 90 pounds and include the kitchen sink. I still have some of the goofy stuff I took on my first hunt. I laugh almost very time I see it and think, that hasn’t left the shelf in 10 years.

Wrench

WKR
I've used my drybag to haul meat out. Works great for containing the blood. A large sea to summit will haul a boned out mule deer.

tony

WKR
I believe EXO actually makes dry bags specific to each pack size. I know Steve has a video on how to use a dry bag in his packs.
Sea to Summit has break downs of what you can fit in their dry bags, that would give you an idea.