Driving to Newfoundland in the Fall

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
All,

Have a Newfoundland Moose hunt booked for the fall. This will be my 2nd time to Newfoundland as I went along in 2017 with my Uncle. Going with the same outfitter as we had a great time and everyone at camp got a bull, and looks like they've had very good success the last few years as well.

However, this time I am planning the trip for myself and 1 buddy, and we are driving from Virginia instead of flying.

So, I've been researching logistics here and talking with my guide and have alot of the trip planned, but would appreciate any input or advice if there's better ways to do something. Have not booked things yet, but plan to very soon.

Plan: Hunt is booked Oct 1 to Oct 8th. Outfitter is in the deer lake area. We are to meet the guide in deer lake at 12noon on the 1st. I'm planning on driving my Tundra (I do have a 10ft trailer available but at this point I don't think I need it for 2 guys). The drive to the ferry from Northern VA is listed at 23 hours on google. We'll leave VA Thursday morning at 6am, drive about halfway, sleep for the night and aim to be at the Ferry by 9pm Sep 30th. Book the 11:45pm ferry, overnight in a cabin, then disembark ferry in the morning and drive to deer lake the morning of Oct. 1.

Gear will travel in the rear of the Truck quad cab, while the bed will have a 5 cu. ft freezer and three 165qt coolers in the bed. Last time I had the moose processed in Newfoundland, and this time I want to bring it back and have it processed here. My plan is to fill the freezer with water bottles. When needed, we'll turn the freezer on and freezer all the bottles of water for ice. Distribute those to the coolers, and pack one moose in 2 coolers and one moose in a cooler and the freezer. I'll either run the freezer off my truck or get a small generator. I figure this should be good to at least cool the meat down initially and if we need to stop and buy ice on the trip back we can.

For gear, I've got Alphaburley boots, Kuiu raingear, and I'll bring 2 rifles. Rifles are my 300 RUM and .308 as backup. My buddy will also bring his rifle (300 Win). Rest of my gear is my standard hunting gear, with some of my competition shooting gear too (tripod, light shooting bag, etc), and med kit/stop the bleed kit. I do need a new backpack. Looking at the Eberlestock Vapor series for a light hunting backpack. Other backpack recommendations?

Return trip: we will leave Newfoundland on the Ferry the night of Oct 8th, and arrive back in VA on Monday Oct 10th.

Questions: Have I planned the travel time up and back correctly? I've seen some threads where the ferries are delayed, so do many guys build an extra day into the planned travel? That would mean I'd leave VA on Wednesday and get to Deer Lake on Sep 30th.

Is my plan to bring the moose back a good one? What do I need to get through customs coming back with meat?

Is there anything else I am not thinking of that I need to?

Both of us are vaxxed, have passports, and I am familiar with the rules for taking rifles across the border, so I believe I am good in that regard unless there were any major changes (outside of covid rules) since 2017.

Thank you in advance for comments or recommendations.

tntrker

WKR
I researched driving before but flew due to drop in airline tickets, at the time and live in SC. Your plan looks good & your Outfitter should have all the paperwork you need to get the meat back across. I had been informed to get a room on the ferry and to book with them asap cause they get gone. Use whatever pack you have, unless you're just wanting another. Your guide will carry everything needed to get the moose and get it back, you'll just want to carry your rain gear, layering clothes storage, and lunch or snacks, tags & license etc on you. I took a set of Alphaburleys and Rocky snake boots (just for the tuckamor) both worked great. Take 2 boxes of ammo jic shit happen.. Good luck!!

Floater00

Lil-Rokslider
You are definitely on top of things. Second on booking the ferry early, the cabins go quick on those moose season crossing days.

We brought back bone in quarters last year without issue, your outfitter will provide you with the proper paperwork for customs.

Fuel, beer, heck everything is more expensive in Newfoundland, so top off the tanks and the coolers before you cross.

RS3579

WKR
Day 1, We drove from Pgh to Calis ME. Day 2, straight to ferry in N Sydney NS. Day 3 met the outfitter. Sounds like your well planned. Good luck

OP
N

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I researched driving before but flew due to drop in airline tickets, at the time and live in SC. Your plan looks good & your Outfitter should have all the paperwork you need to get the meat back across. I had been informed to get a room on the ferry and to book with them asap cause they get gone. Use whatever pack you have, unless you're just wanting another. Your guide will carry everything needed to get the moose and get it back, you'll just want to carry your rain gear, layering clothes storage, and lunch or snacks, tags & license etc on you. I took a set of Alphaburleys and Rocky snake boots (just for the tuckamor) both worked great. Take 2 boxes of ammo jic shit happen.. Good luck!!

Agreed, they probably will do most of the packing out work, but I want to be able to contribute packing the meat to the UTV's/vehicles at least.

My backpacks I have are heavy, competition oriented. I got my butt kicked by hoofing the weight around last time.... So, looking to lighten it a bit but have the ability to haul out quarters/antlers if needed.

Floater00

Lil-Rokslider
The covid rules might/probably will change by this fall, but last year you needed the proper paperwork to cross the Canadian border (canarrive). You also needed specific forms for New Brunswick, and when you got off the ferry in Newfoundland they had their own covid forms That all may change before you go, but your trip will be smoother if you have it all prepared.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you've got things well in hand. A couple of tips:
1. Avoid the hassle of the Montreal border crossing. Waits can be significant. I crossed near Malone NY. Dealt with a great agent (the sole border guard on duty) who was a fellow hunter and the process took 5 minutes. Just make sure your antlers/skull cap is free of brain matter.
2. Think about the room your cape(s) will take in the cooler. A shoulder cut moose cape only marginally fleshed, takes quite a bit of space.
3. You may be able request a parking space away from the engine room to further preserve cooling power for the 8hr. return crossing. The attendant I dealt with offered this option once he found out I was a hunter.

keller

WKR
Sounds like you have a good plan did it last year everything went smooth we had paper work done ahead of time.took a bigger freezer I believe 12 cu was a good size.one processed and one not. Book ferry early we got the last cabin good luck and enjoy the drive.

vtmooser

FNG
Also went last year ,we planned an extra travel day on the way up for the unexpected (shit happens) but didn't need it and used the extra day to see more of the rock. Well worth the extra expense of the motel and a good night sleep before the hunt!!!

Trial153

WKR
The easiest crossing to take is Calais. Make sure you get a room on the over night ferry both ways. They book up fast.
I will probably be on the boat with you. This will be my fourth hunt in NL

OP
N

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Serious question.

How do you handle the various firearm laws in each state that you’re driving through?

Bolt action hunting rifles that will be locked in cases, ammo stored separately.

We'll have all the necessary canadian paperwork done too for crossing the border.

A bit of a PITA, but not hard.

vtmooser

FNG
Make sure you have all paper work to bring guns back into USA. Fill out forms at US customs at border crossing into Canada a save the time coming back across. Proof that you purchased weapons in the US.

Bolt action hunting rifles that will be locked in cases, ammo stored separately.

We'll have all the necessary canadian paperwork done too for crossing the border.

A bit of a PITA, but not hard.
I apologize for not being my clearer. How do you handle the various state laws in the US?

For example, some states it’s ok to have a gun in the vehicle, other states require it to be inaccessible, others require permits, etc.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I did it a few years ago solo from western NC. I ran 95 through Maine and crossed there. Tundra should be plenty of room, I drove my Land Cruiser and had no issues. Get paperwork ready before crossing. I gave myself an extra day getting there, stayed in a hotel somewhere in New Brunswick if I remember right. I drove about 26 hours straight off the ferry on the return trip solo with no stops except food and gas. Get a cabin, I didn't have one on the way over and it was terrible, I had one on the way back and its as great.

You've done a lot more research than I did, I winged a lot of it (that's my typical MO, but I travel to hunt a good bit). It definitely makes it more of an experience when you drive as opposed to flying (I flew my first year).

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I apologize for not being my clearer. How do you handle the various state laws in the US?

For example, some states it’s ok to have a gun in the vehicle, other states require it to be inaccessible, others require permits, etc.
I'm knocking on wood right now, but I don't pay attention to any of those laws, including for handguns (except if I'm crossing a national border), and I've never had an issue. I've traveled up to Maine and west to Montana from NC via car. Moving my long guns or hand guns in my vehicle never even occurs to me no matter the state I'm rolling through.

OP
N

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider

In a case, locked, with ammo in separate locked cases is inaccessible. The guns can ride in the bed of the truck while driving, and stay locked in the truck at night.

Bolt action hunting rifles with 5rd mags or a blind magazine aren't really a problem in any state to my knowledge. I'm not bringing a handgun or an AR with me.

NJ is usually the worst state to drive through from an overzealous law enforcement perspective. I'm planning on going through upstate NY to bypass NYC, so that bypasses NJ too.

Don't forsee any issues in other states.

vtmooser

FNG
The US customs form to bring gun back into USA is CBP Form 4457. Certificate of Registration For Personal Effect Taken Aboard 19CFR 148.! Once your gun is registered it' good for life and can add different guns in the future. It's less complicated doing it going in to canada then coming out at US customs.

OP
N

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, remember doing that form last time. Taking the same 2 rifles, so should be easy for me. my buddy will need to do the forms for him.

Booked the ferry this evening. Going over the night of Thursday, Sep 29th, coming back the night of Oct. 8th. Built in one day extra on the front end in case something goes wrong with the ferry....