Drew the Spike only in Wenaha unit

Hello, New to this forum. I and my uncle and cousin were lucky enough to draw Wenaha this year. I have never been over there and its a 9 hour drive so unfortunately will not get much chance to scout. I know there are a bunch of opinions so was hoping to get a few. Not in real bad shape for a 65 yo man so first question would be how steep is the terrain? Maybe insight were to get the spikes as we are not after the monsters. I have never gotten an elk as I grew up in Sheridan Or. and went into Air Force and was away till I was able to get back to Roseburg in 2017. Been out looking every year. Made a trip to the Ochocos and was not successful, seen several but not close enough to shoot. A trip to Idaho and seen several but again not close enough.
Any help greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.

Reactions: Guy

92xj

WKR
Is your ultimate goal to kill an elk or more to play with big bulls, see amazing country and have a fun experience?
As much as you want all 4, the percentage of that is very low.

If it’s truly to just kill an elk, find an otc place closer to home where you will be able to scout and have more time in the field during season than driving 9 hours to hunt spikes in a “trophy” unit where you can’t scout.

The wenaha is an amazing place and everyone should spend a few nights living off their backs in there, just to experience it.

Reactions: Guy

OR Archer

WKR
I was born and raised in Roseburg. Lots of elk around there, especially if you get a Weyerhaeuser permit. Do yourself a favor and take a trip to the Bow Rack and talk with Wayne. He knows the unit like the back of his hand. He will give you solid advice.
And if your related to Curt from Sutherland he sold me my first bow way back in 97.

lintond

WKR
Bear hunted there this spring. Lots of it has been burned, even the old fire is slow to grow back. It’s beautiful country but its beauty is because it’s steep & deep. Getting one out will be an effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk