Down Vest

millsms

FNG
Anyone seen the latest catalog from eddie bauer? The ascent down jackets and vests are like 50% off? Jacket for 99 and vest for like 60? 800 down fill? anyone tried or used one of these recently?
I was thinking of picking up a vest or down sweater for that price?

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the downlight Sweater and I love it. I would highly recommend it. It is super light weight and if you are wearing it and moving, it better be damn cold! I use mine as a pillow as well. It stuffs into its own pocket and packs down to nothing.

OP
millsms

millsms

FNG
Thanks, i probably will have to try that then! can't beat the price

muleman

WKR
I have been really impressed with GoLITE. I have a couple Shangri-La tipis, Poncho Tarps and a pair of softshell pants. I don't have any complaints about their quality. I know you are looking at down, but I found the Cady Synthetic Jacket has more features and is nearly as light as my Kuiu Spindrift for half the cost.

http://www.golite.com/mens/outerwear/insulation

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got the vest on clearance a few years back, and love it! It's lightweight, warm and cut nicely. Not sure how waterproof the shell is, so that is one consideration. Have also been very pleased with my ascent jacket, which I believe is synthetic...it's all I wear for winter up here in temps greater than 10 degrees.

OP
millsms

millsms

FNG
I have been really impressed with GoLITE. I have a couple Shangri-La tipis, Poncho Tarps and a pair of softshell pants. I don't have any complaints about their quality. I know you are looking at down, but I found the Cady Synthetic Jacket has more features and is nearly as light as my Kuiu Spindrift for half the cost.

http://www.golite.com/mens/outerwear/insulation

I wish they state what insulation they use but i'm guessing since its recycled that explains it! I little lighter(60g) than my spindrift (80g). If i did't have the spindrift i would look into more. Thanks though

Becca: do you have the down sweater vest or regular vest? i'm wondering who much warmer the regular vest would be over the sweater vest?

I'm looking to add maybe another insulation piece to go under my spindrift for when it gets really cold and i don't have to add to much weight.

Curtis C

WKR
Muleman that does look like a decent value for a vest. Looking at the materials page I think the insulation brand is ReFill but I cant find any info on that material so who knows.

millsms I have never used Bauer but I have read plenty of decent reviews on the climbing forums. Just an FYI I got my WM down vest for a similar price on the evil auction site.

C

i started looking for a vest. went to eddie bauer, not in my size. went to cabellas, out of stock. then started surfing for other brands. looked at the big names(patagonia,marmot, northface, mountain hardware) and found an excellent value in a marmot zeus. $67 free shipping in stock. When i was looking around it seems the only deals were in crazy colors but got lucky on this one. fatigue(green). looks like a mass market site 6pm.com