Down Layering Pants

ba5592

WKR
Happy New Year to everyone. I am looking for a down pant to be used under a shell for layering purposes. I do run cold and these will be used for stationary activities. I have spent some time researching and most have astronomical prices (over $200). Does anyone have a more economical recommendation?

Tod osier

WKR
Happy New Year to everyone. I am looking for a down pant to be used under a shell for layering purposes. I do run cold and these will be used for stationary activities. I have spent some time researching and most have astronomical prices (over $200). Does anyone have a more economical recommendation?

I've been using Kuiu Super Down pants. I got really sick of lugging heavy/bulky bibs (5 pounds) for stand hunting and tried the Super Down pants (which I already had) under a pair of waterproof and quiet light/mid weight bibs. It was great, I bought a second pair and wear 2 pairs under loose fitting bibs and it has been great for long sits in very cold. Kuiu had them on sale for a good while this fall for $99.

So, I can't help you on sourcing them, but I can tell you that you have a good idea. Watch the classifieds.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
You may have to monkey with sizing...legit belay pants are designed to be tossed on over everything, not as a mid-layer. On a budget I'd be looking at sale or used Mountain Hardware. Hope you find what you're after.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good point from Snowy. I can only speak for my kelvin pants but they have about a 7 inch range, pretty good I think. If it helps I’m a 32 waist but choose a 34 pant for comfort and layering. My large kelvin fit fine and could fit over a 36 pant and base at the max.

I have not found any either to this point. In addition my criteria is not getting shredded getting through thick brush which puts most of these chinese pant's out. IE, kuiu, sitka etc.

Good luck

Shraggs

WKR
My wife got me a pair from ll bean. They are primaloft, thin with an elastic cuff at the ankle so it can tuck into a boot. The layer well under my wool pants. They weigh 12 oz, much lighter the my RAB pant.

mtnhmr

FNG
Arc'teryx Atom LT Bottoms.

I sometimes use them alone with a hard shell for x-skiing from -10C to -20C. When the temp drops to -20C to -30C I throw a base layer (merino 210 3/4 length) on to stay warm.

They almost insulate too well or I run hot?

Last edited: