Douvids, 8/12 or 10/15

c5mrr270

WKR
I'm looking at getting a set of tripod mounted binoculars as I just recently moved to Wyoming and the terrain is way more open than my usual hunting spots. I'd like a set of 15's but I think that's too magnification for a stalk or even some of the more dense places I hunt.

I also don't want to carry two sets of binos with me when I pack in somewhere since that's a huge weight penalty and that's why I'm looking at the douvids. I just can't decide between the 8/12s or the 10/15s. Any help is appreciated.

I'll preface this by saying that I have no experience with either one. With that said I would go with the 8/12 because I think the magnification fits better with the objective lense on the higher mag. Although it still isn't ideal. I'm interested to hear how good the optical quality is of these Binos and hear what other guys have to say that actually have experience with them.

Why not go with a 12x50? A lot of guys say they can hand hold a 12x and say it's great on a tripod. I've heard great things about the Swaro el 12x50...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
If you occasionally hunt dense country consider the 8/12s. The wide open Wyo country is conducive to the 15's, but the 12's will likely do just fine. You aren't hunting for smaller coues, etc. anyway.
And your eyes will appreciate the 8 power glass in more think surroundings.

Great choice of glass in the duovids! Your situation is why they made them Let us know how it goes for you.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have 10-15 Duovids.

I'd purchase them every single time over 8-12s.

15 is better than 12 in open country and I have never, ever, felt overpowered in any timber with a full sized 10x. Not even bow hunting in northern Michigan.

I love my Duovids for out west and on the tripod.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
See I was thinking along the same lines as Steve O, I've used 10x exclusively for years now and have rarely felt overpowered. I had probably better look through some 12s and 15s it just seems like 12 power wouldn't get you much over a set of 10s.

Broomd

WKR
Get both pairs from Cameraland and try them, ultimately your eyes and view of things is what matters. The 10/15 might be perfect for you, maybe not. Tell Doug at CL what you want to do and he'll likley accommodate...

Like most guys, as I get older I much appreciate f.o.v., exit pupil, steady hold-ability, low light advantage etc. --all things that come from slightly less magnification.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Broomd--too bad they don't make an 8-16 Duovid.

I'm actually know a guy from Leica; I'm going to ask him about just that.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
Anybody know if the optical quality suffers from having the ability to switch powers?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Anybody know if the optical quality suffers from having the ability to switch powers?

Hah. NO.

Broomd...There won't be any other options for Duovids in the future; not a big demand so I did not ask what it would take engineering wise to go from a 50% power increase to 100%.

He mentioned he had the first pair of Noctivids in NA and from the sounds of it they are VERY impressive and going to be a game changer!

Fixitman

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 8-12 and have had them for about 13 years. I have never tried the 10-15 and they may be great but I Wouldn't trade my 8-12s for anything else I have the outdoorsmans tripod stud and that was a good investment also. Top shelf glass for sure Good luck with your choice either one will be great and as already stated its a personal preference in the end

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
Can't comment on the duovids, but for power, I love the 8x's and I hunt in Alberta. Big field of view is a wonderful thing. If me, I'd go with 8/12's.

coues32

WKR
12x 50 el with Outdoorsmans stud and adapter, not loosing much on 15 Swaros and can hold fairly well off hand. One bino out west would be these.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
Thanks for the link. I still haven't made up my mind. I really need to spend some time looking through some 8s, 12s and 15s. That'll be kind of hard to do in the field cause I don't know that many guys with that many optics. Maybe next time I'm at cabelas...