Double Sleeping Pad

Anyone have any recommendations? I have a Klymit double V. It stopped holding air after about 30 nights. They sent me a new one b/c it was within a year. We were camping at a dry cabin a couple weeks ago and the “new” one lost air midway though the night with my wife and 1.5 year old sleeping on it. Only had about 20-25 nights on that one. Have another trip in a couple weeks and would like another double so little guy can sleep with Mom. So does anyone have one they recommend that works? Not finding much that isn’t super bulky or crazy priced. Needs to be backpackableish.

Bummer to hear. I just picked up a klymit insulated double v for my wife and I. I’ve not slept on this one yet, but my normal klymit v luxe I’ve used for the past 7 seasons with no issues.

I can’t find a decent priced double pad.

No experience with the pad but the Big Agnes Rapide SL double looks like it might be a decent option. Plus it's on sale on the website right now.

Have you thought about getting two regular sized pads and strapping them together?

Also more power to you for backpack camping with a 1.5 year old.

OP
william schmaltz
Bummer to hear. I just picked up a klymit insulated double v for my wife and I. I’ve not slept on this one yet, but my normal klymit v luxe I’ve used for the past 7 seasons with no issues.

I can’t find a decent priced double pad.
I like Klymit. I’ve been using their single static V for years. I finally just this summer had one start losing air and replaced it with the updated model. The old model for a long time was a nipple style valve that twisted open/shut. It worked, but was a small pain. The newest system they have in an internal valve that flips open and close. It seems to be a good system. I see that the less insulated double V has pictures of that valve.IMG_7851.jpeg
The insulated double V that I’ve had problems with has an inflate and a deflate port. The closures are not threaded and the “valve” is just a one way piece of rubber.
IMG_7852.jpeg
So looking at options and prices of others, I think I’m going to contact Klymit and see if they have updated the double V model to their newest valve and give it another try. Maybe I will get lucky and they will send me another.

I like Klymit. I’ve been using their single static V for years. I finally just this summer had one start losing air and replaced it with the updated model. The old model for a long time was a nipple style valve that twisted open/shut. It worked, but was a small pain. The newest system they have in an internal valve that flips open and close. It seems to be a good system. I see that the less insulated double V has pictures of that valve.View attachment 665148
The insulated double V that I’ve had problems with has an inflate and a deflate port. The closures are not threaded and the “valve” is just a one way piece of rubber.
View attachment 665149
So looking at options and prices of others, I think I’m going to contact Klymit and see if they have updated the double V model to their newest valve and give it another try. Maybe I will get lucky and they will send me another.
My double is newer and what I didn’t like about the valve is when inserted the flextail nozzle it wouldn’t stay unless I held it. It was nicer than the old style in some ways.

I also got it refurbished off eBay directly from Klymit and it was significantly less than anything else.

I still want to get a Thermarest or exped or Nemo insulated pad but I’m not ready to drop $230 plus on a pad yet. Though that r-value of 7-8 is what I want.

Beendare

WKR
My buddies Klymit failed the second year.

Thermarest and Exped seem to have a lower failure rate and excellent warranty- Exped is 5 yrs

FWIW, I like to use a waffle mat under my inflatables when I’m not going ultra light

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Exped pads hold up well, but are not cheap. They are also heavy. I use a Synmat 7 wide with my 5 year old daughter. She is pretty small though, and I'm not a big guy either.

Their doubles a a touch heavier, but probably just as good.

TCC

FNG
Paria has a nice one that we use. Better quality than Klymit in my experience. Heavier than some, but definitely packable. Use ours alot, but generally horse packing when its the two of us.

Ive had new pads loose air frequently. I always sleep on them one night in the house before use and air them up midway through the night. I think the fabric stretches and seals up the slow leaks or something. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk