Double puffy

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I haven’t bought them yet. I’m considering them. I like the 37.5 insulation myself. What would you suggest?

Depends on how warm you want it. My point was that the Uncompagre is a relatively poor performer in the warmth to weight game. The Stone Glacier Grumman down pants are significantly warmer and lighter for instance.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Depends on how warm you want it. My point was that the Uncompagre is a relatively poor performer in the warmth to weight game. The Stone Glacier Grumman down pants are significantly warmer and lighter for instance.
I’m looking for a pair that may be a little on the less fragile exterior. I have a down set but it’s fragile. I was looking at something that may be a little more durable

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m looking for a pair that may be a little on the less fragile exterior. I have a down set but it’s fragile. I was looking at something that may be a little more durable

Synthetic insulation will have a shorter life due to losing loft. Quite a bit shorter, just FYI.
For synthetics- Nunatak, Varusteleka TST Lvl 3, or Kifaru Lost Park are some to look at. Given what synthetic offers and price, the Varusteleka is a hard option to pass on.

I bought both of my pairs of pants used, that way when they get trashed I don’t feel as bad. One pair is made by mountain hardwear and has reinforced knees and seat, the other is OR. Paid about $150 for both of them.

Decker9

WKR
Iv layered my old SD under my Sitka WS for winter hunts with a rain jacket as a shell. Iv been more using the blizzard parka and the SD under it if I need and leaving the WS and rain she’ll at home. The blizzard parka is a beast, but a bombshell as well.

davitia

FNG
I layer my FL unc pants under prana zion pants if temps dip below freezing. on top I layer a down puffy under a synthetic puffy (montbell under my FL Unc 2.0) Has been working great for me for some time.

search on youtube for alpine layering systems - there's great info there on how stuff should fit and what layers go where. Mountains are cold up high in the winter so some of that info might help you.

One thing that can surprise people is that for alpine kit you size everything so that the puffy goes on top of your shell. You only pull it out of your pack if you are stopped for awhile. Then
it goes back in the pack if you start moving again. Obviously that might change if you are in a wet location. But here in CO for me - my down parka fits over my goretex shell.

Alpine fit = the clothes just fit you. If you get stuff that is made for mountaineering it moves with your body real well so it's not constricting.

Anyway...different point of view but could be useful info so thought I'd pass that along.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Thank you for that perspective. I will definitely look at it. The way I dress now I put a rainshell Over my puffy if it’s windy. Other than that I just put it on when stationary. Except for a corrugate guide jacket. It’s for Some puffy protection if I’m going to be moving a bit too n brush