Dope Card

rugerhoyt

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All,

I have been goofing around all weekend with the Garmin and Labradar units working on sight tapes for my bow. Sure you all have seen the videos where you can use either unit to pull your fps at 2 given distances and then plug those speeds into a tape maker (I'm using Precision Cut Archery) to generate a mathematically "perfect" tape.

Got me to thinking, is the same possible with a rifle? what distance spread would you need? For example I'm taking the speed at 20 yds and 70 yds with my bow. I have always been told that a rifle shot is 10x a bow shot, but don't believe the Labrador can go that far, you could hypothetically shoot over the top of the Garmin though?

Anyone ventured down this rabbit hole?

Axlrod

WKR
Ballistic solvers are pretty good and Applied Ballistics has a huge library of BC's, so that is the easy button.
Or instead of shooting over the chrono at long range, just shoot paper and see how much you need to adjust.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to shoot over a chronograph at long range to get dope. Just measure muzzle velocity and punch the info into any good solver. I prefer Applied Ballistics.

Keep it simple. Use density, altitude, and temperature, and go shoot at distance. It doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

Marshfly

WKR
A zero at 100 yards and a verified impact and the corresponding drop is all you need to get the data out to that distance. Nobody should be taking game at distances greater than they have verified drop at with actual shots.

As for dope cards, I use the data for an average elevation and temp where I hunt. I check that at the extremes each way, cold/hot and 3k feet up and down. I print that out small and stick it to the front top of my scope.

Attachments

• 72127495299__7A584C3A-3203-4780-BC94-6070AE9CD5B0.jpeg
    72127495299__7A584C3A-3203-4780-BC94-6070AE9CD5B0.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 40