Don’t buy Binos made for bird watchers

I think you are misunderstanding what I am asking. I apologize if I was unclear. The cam lock (lock tab) would still be on the outside of my barrel.. I'm just asking how difficult/fast it is to leave the RRS on the tripod and then fish the strap up through and lock it vs leaving it on the binos and locking it onto the tripod when you glass.

Since asking the question, I have watched a couple youtube videos and it looks like leaving it on the tripod and attaching the binos to it is pretty fast and easy.
Oh I get it. Yes that would be very easy, it's not problem at all to attach. You just have to remember where it is on the barrel because they're tapered so if you do it too far towards the oculars, it isn't that secure. And too far towards objectives it'd be hard/impossible to close (or you'd have to just adjust the strap which isn't that hard). That's the main reason I left it attached to my binos but you can go either route.

Last edited:

roweraay

FNG
Classified Approved
I can see why AK prisms aren't popular in the alphas.
Not sure why they have been using the cheaper SP prisms in lieu of the objectively better AKs, but the color, pop, contrast etc are more related to the coatings, than the prisms.

All of these top manufacturers have been spending almost ALL of their R&D on SP designs, and that to me is unfortunate…..the same effort expended on AK prismed designs with the same tolerances and type/quality of coatings, would have yielded the same pop and sparkle, with the added benefit of more light passing through.

Not sure why they have been using the cheaper SP prisms in lieu of the objectively better AKs, but the color, pop, contrast etc are more related to the coatings, than the prisms.

All of these top manufacturers have been spending almost ALL of their R&D on SP designs, and that to me is unfortunate…..the same effort expended on AK prismed designs with the same tolerances and type/quality of coatings, would have yielded the same pop and sparkle, with the added benefit of more light passing through.
As a bit of an optics purist I agree that the move away from superior AK prism designs Is unfortunate. An AK design has inherent optical advantages but their configuration generally requires longer and slightly offset barrels, which leads to a slightly larger device. So the move from AK to SP is really for the same reason that manufacturers moved from porro to roof prism designs … they are just responding to what the consumer says they want = the best optical design the can be fit into the smallest, lightest, best handling package … and at the cheapest price. Always loved the ease and crispness of well designed AK. It can still be found in the 56mm SLCs, Conquests, and Mavens, as well as the Maven B2s.

Also gone are the days when the big 3 and Meopta were the only ones with the manufacturing know how and capability to produce finely crafted, phase corrected (SP prism) designs. The success of worldwide OEMs like LOW and Kamakura have made it far too easy for anyone with enough capital, some industry connections and a target market, to stand up an optics company. That’s why there are so many brands currently on the market, with new ones arriving every day.

My comment about AK prisms was referring to the weight. Optically superior, yes, but they’re hefty! Usually you only see them in the x56 configurations, but even in the x42’s it’s just too much for a lot of offhand glassing for an entire hunt.

the1adman

FNG
I was looking at the Sig Zulu9 11x45 because of positive reviews and the AK prism. The thing holding me back is the size and weight.