Does the 223/6mm for everything change when hunt cost $$$

Would you use a smaller caliber (223/6mm) on the below mentioned five-figure hunts?

• Yes, I would use a 223/6mm caliber.

Votes: 158 56.6%
  • No, I would elect a larger cartridge.

Votes: 121 43.4%

• Total voters
Have you ever considered, even just once, that what you think “is cool” doesn’t matter to the vast majority of folks? I’m glad you’re having fun though, that’s the only way to do it.

Have you now? What do you think is “twice as many as most people here”? I’m quite curious.
A gentleman doesn't ask and a lady doesn't tell, sorry bro.

This is starting to drift outside the original conversation of “would you use a .223 or 6mm caliber cartridge for a high dollar hunt” to “would you use a .223 remington on a high dollar hunt”. Personally I would not.

Depending on the type of hunt, I’d use it as an excuse to buy a 9.3x62 or fast twist .25, Since I’ve always thought those were neat. But I’d certainly feel comfortable using my .243 For most medium game, regardless of price.

I’d be curious the number of members here who don’t pick a cartridge at least somewhat based on vibes, whether it’s because it’s the new hotness, because it’s a niche wildcat, or it’s old and quirky.

He told someone he was a butcher in another thread. That could be the reason he said it in the way he did. He is a really cool dude just looking to have fun, man or just enjoys annoying people.

Jay
Those are hooved animals, but no. Sorry you're annoyed? Idk man.

Yeah, that is cool, very satisfying, but you can do that with stuff alot bigger than a .223.
Sure, but that often involves muzzle brakes. After 12-15 ft lbs of felt recoil, it’s going to be pretty difficult to reliably spot impacts in a field position.

I should have said spotting your own impact while using a suppressor, so you can hear the impact on the animal as well. That’s cool.

If people were less caught up in the more is more mind set (More energy, more bullet size, more recoil), they might evaluate things differently. Those things don’t necessarily have a direct relationship to more killing ability, more hits or more follow ups.

Personally I watched, and heard, the impact on a bull moose at 525 yards this year with a 6 CM and 112 Match Burner. 2 shots in quick succession and he took a total of 3 steps before dropping.

Last edited:
Sure, but that often involves muzzle brakes. After 12-15 ft lbs of felt recoil, it’s going to be pretty difficult to reliably spot impacts in a field position.

I should have said spotting your own impact while using a suppressor, so you can hear the impact on the animal as well. That’s cool.

If people were less caught up in the more is more mind set, they might evaluate things differently.

Personally I watched, and heard, the impact on a bull moose at 525 yards this year with a 6 CM and 112 Match Burner. 2 shots in quick succession and he took a total of 3 steps before dropping.
No doubt, that is very cool. I watched impact and heard the impact with a 25-06 lots of times. I've heard impacts with unsuppressed 30 cals at reasonable differences too. 6 CM is nice, make mine a 25!

This is starting to drift outside the original conversation of “would you use a .223 or 6mm caliber cartridge for a high dollar hunt” to “would you use a .223 remington on a high dollar hunt”. Personally I would not.

Depending on the type of hunt, I’d use it as an excuse to buy a 9.3x62 or fast twist .25, Since I’ve always thought those were neat. But I’d certainly feel comfortable using my .243 For most medium game, regardless of price.

I’d be curious the number of members here who don’t pick a cartridge at least somewhat based on vibes, whether it’s because it’s the new hotness, because it’s a niche wildcat, or it’s old and quirky.
A fast twist 25 checks the boxes for me right now. Wild that your choice is a 9.3 or a 25, but I get it. Mines a 25 or something ridiculously big in diameter too.

A fast twist 25 checks the boxes for me right now. Wild that your choice is a 9.3 or a 25, but I get it. Mines a 25 or something ridiculously big in diameter too.
I’ve just always wanted a quarterbore, and the 9.3s have always interested me because of their history as big game cartridges. Plus I already have a .223, .243, 6.5x55, and 45/70. So I’d want a different caliber than any of those

wyosam

WKR

I think a quarter bore and a medium bore make a great pairing. For me it’s a 257 Rob improved, or a 338-284 lately. I like the 338 enough that I might need a 35 or 375-284 in my life, too. Either will kill anything I need to kill. The rob is easy to spot impacts with a bare muzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a quarter bore and a medium bore make a great pairing. For me it’s a 257 Rob improved, or a 338-284 lately. I like the 338 enough that I might need a 35 or 375-284 in my life, too. Either will kill anything I need to kill. The rob is easy to spot impacts with a bare muzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I keep my eyes peeled for a deal on a 257 Roberts for my kid.