Does Montana go by 1st choice for B tags?

I am having a bit of trouble getting a solid answer on this....

Specifically for B tags...does Montana consider all applicants 1st choice (meaning swing for the fences) or do they consider all of an applicants choices before moving on to the next person (meaning more strategy needed)?

I searched the regs, called the folks at the help desk and still couldn't get a clear answer

Thanks for your help guys

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I believe for deer and elk you have 5 district choices to apply for. 1st choice gets 75% of the draw then 25% for the 2nd choice and then it's a random lottery based on points. Bonus points are squared and you can purchase a point going into the current year drawing. I'm not sure if there is a difference between A and B tags, I believe a permit is a permit but do check the regulations, it is in the first 10 pages or so and it will specifically say B tags. So, using points, apply for a permit that you want the most and then so on. Hope this helps.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I am having a bit of trouble getting a solid answer on this....

Specifically for B tags...does Montana consider all applicants 1st choice (meaning swing for the fences) or do they consider all of an applicants choices before moving on to the next person (meaning more strategy needed)?

I searched the regs, called the folks at the help desk and still couldn't get a clear answer

Thanks for your help guys
1st choice is looked at for all applicants then 2nd choice. B tags are a separate draw

OP
E
1st choice is looked at for all applicants then 2nd choice. B tags are a separate draw
Just to clairfy- so even for the B tag they consider first choice and then they go on from there?

I know the b tag draw comes after the general draw... but it's hard to find any info on B tags and how they get drawn. I just want to make well informed decisions

Erict

WKR
"Bonus points essentially offer you additional drawing chances and are used for the first hunting district choice only." Between this and the statistics, this strongly suggests that each "choice" drawing is completed before moving to the next.

1. All 1st choice - randomly drawn, but the number of chances you have are the square of your bonus points. Awardees get their Deer B License and their Deer B bonus points are zeroed. If not successful, you are moved to the 2nd choice draw if you have multiple choices.

3. All 2nd choice - random, everyone gets 1 chance. Awardees get their Deer B License. Drawn or not, you keep Deer B bonus points. If not drawn, you move to the next draw if you have a 3rd choice.

4. All 3rd choice - random, everyone gets 1 chance. Awardees get their Deer B License. Drawn or not, you keep Deer B bonus points.

5. Applicants get 3 CHOICES, so after draws are done, leftover tags may go into the Surplus draw/OTC.

(I have never heard of a 75%/25% allocation for special draws.)

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
The only way to draw 2nd choice is if there are more tags available than 1st choice applicants. So if you are entering a drawing that is always less than 100% chance, you will never draw a 2nd or 3rd choice. I just leave them blank.

Wapiti1

WKR
Don't they use Bonus points for b tags?
In Montana, B licenses are treated completely separate from the non-res combo or limited entry permit tags.

You can apply for the B elk tags without applying for any other elk tag. LE bonus points don't matter. You purchase bonus points for the B license, and they apply to the B license only. Bonus points in Montana are specific to the license you are applying for.

See page 17 of the regulations for the breakdown, but they don't explain bonus points worth a hoot.

As for choice, every draw is the same. They run all applications through the 1st choice and award tags. Then they do a second choice pass with all applications, any tags not drawn in the first choice pass are now awarded. Then they do the third choice pass with all applications and award the tags left at that point.

Any tags not awarded, or turned back go to the first come first serve sale later in the year.

Jeremy

OP
E
The only way to draw 2nd choice is if there are more tags available than 1st choice applicants. So if you are entering a drawing that is always less than 100% chance, you will never draw a 2nd or 3rd choice. I just leave them blank.
Dang! That's the kind of information a guy like me needs. There I was thinking I might get lucky and still get to hunt elk on a 2md choice . What about putting a 2nd choice with 100%?

OP
E
In Montana, B licenses are treated completely separate from the non-res combo or limited entry permit tags.

You can apply for the B elk tags without applying for any other elk tag. LE bonus points don't matter. You purchase bonus points for the B license, and they apply to the B license only. Bonus points in Montana are specific to the license you are applying for.

See page 17 of the regulations for the breakdown, but they don't explain bonus points worth a hoot.

Jeremy
I have "a" bonus point, but I have no idea if it's for a B tag or for a LE tag... this might mean I bought the wrong point for what I'm trying to do

Wapiti1

WKR
I have "a" bonus point, but I have no idea if it's for a B tag or for a LE tag... this might mean I bought the wrong point for what I'm trying to do
If you go to your account on the Montana FWP site, and lookup your points totals, it will say what type it is.

Here is how mine looks:
1679677579370.png

My elk points are for the LE permits. If you have points for the B license, it will be listed as Antlerless Elk B License, or similar.

Jeremy

Axlrod

WKR
Dang! That's the kind of information a guy like me needs. There I was thinking I might get lucky and still get to hunt elk on a 2md choice . What about putting a 2nd choice with 100%?
If there are tags left after all 1st choice guys get one, then they have a draw for all the 2nd choice guys then 3rd choice any left go to the surplus sale after the draws. 2nd & 3rd choice are for areas with more tags than applicants- dang few.

Bonus points are for Elk Permits and Elk permit would possibly be called LE in another state.

You have to successfully draw a general tag to even be in the running for an elk permit.

My understanding is B list tags for elk are in a random lottery draw all Res and Non Res combined.
Deer B list are Otc

OP
E
Sounds like I'm in for a tough time if I don't draw a general this year. I appreciate you guys, I thought I finally got a handle on pref/bonus points and the montana system, but then looking at B tags flipped the whole thing upside down for me

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds like I'm in for a tough time if I don't draw a general this year. I appreciate you guys, I thought I finally got a handle on pref/bonus points and the montana system, but then looking at B tags flipped the whole thing upside down for me
B tag bonus points are specified in your FWP account. If you have a bonus point then that’s just for LE elk. The B tags are its own draw with own points. You can buy b points just like any other during the point only period. Here is mine specifying antelope and antelope b points
84995AB4-D837-40E1-80FA-842B5FB19935.jpeg

OP
E
B tag bonus points are specified in your FWP account. If you have a bonus point then that’s just for LE elk. The B tags are its own draw with own points. You can buy b points just like any other during the point only period. Here is mine specifying antelope and antelope b points
View attachment 534684
Sounds like I screwed up and bought a LE bonus point instead of a B point. Go figure. At least I'm learning I guess

It's a separate draw with its own permits and even its own points. It operates just like the regular draw and the deadline is in June.