Does Kifaru Camp Bag + Lite Frame + Guide Lid + Sherman Pocket = decent pack?

nutz

FNG
Hello Kifaru backpack users! Please tell me your opinions on something:
1. Can the Kifaru Camp Bag be attached by itself to the Lite Frame to be used just like that as a hiking pack?
Camp Bag 1.2lb (544g)
Lite Frame 3lb (1.36kg)

2. And can the Guide Lid and Sherman Pocket be attached also?
That should make for a 86 litre pack weighing about 5lb 8oz ( 2.5kg ) according to their published dimensions.

3. Am I best to get the compression strap kit and the Guide Lid strap kit also?
I have not yet any experience with Kifaru products and I think it will be fun to experiment with their modular components. But I want to order enough bits to make a pack that can be used for a 14 day hike. I normally take about 28 kg and 75 litres.

OP
N

nutz

FNG
I contacted Seek Outside and they said yes, the camp bag "will hook to the duplex frames and can be used as a minimilist bag. However, there are not enough connectors to add the sherman pocket or the guide lid. The sherman pocket and the guide lid needs clips and loops that will be taken up by attaching it..."

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru’s website says it will attach to the duplex frames and you can attach a sherman and lid to it.

prm

WKR
I can’t answer your exact question, but a Stryker using a lightweight dry bag weighing only a couple ounces on the meat shelf would function similarly. That’s how I used my Kifaru. All day hunt gear in the Stryker, and then camp, food, etc. in the bag. Remove bag once at camp site, ready to hunt.

fatlander

WKR
You need something to make a shelf. The grab-it is kifaru’s version. So frame, grab it, camp bag (or dry bag), Sherman, guide lid.

That’s going to get really strappy. Have you considered the nomad and and a grab-it? You’d have about the same amount of space but it would be a little more streamlined. I had that exact setup: nomad, grab it, OR 55L dry bag and absolutely hated it. There were more straps than I cared to deal with.

Personally, I like a big bag that sucks down small when I don’t need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

nutz

FNG
You need something to make a shelf. The grab-it is kifaru’s version. So frame, grab it, camp bag (or dry bag), Sherman, guide lid.

That’s going to get really strappy. Have you considered the nomad and and a grab-it? You’d have about the same amount of space but it would be a little more streamlined. I had that exact setup: nomad, grab it, OR 55L dry bag and absolutely hated it. There were more straps than I cared to deal with.

Personally, I like a big bag that sucks down small when I don’t need it.

I was thinking I'd have fun experimenting with modular components but then I realized that yes, it would be too strappy. Then I thought about their straightjacket and again, more fiddling round than I would like. So I decided not to go down that path and made the choice to get a fully featured bag - the 44 Mag - and use the PALs on the back and a 30L dry bag in the meat shelf for extra space.

OP
N

nutz

FNG
Kifaru’s website says it will attach to the duplex frames and you can attach a sherman and lid to it.
Yes I pointed that out and they said the wording needs to be updated.

I was thinking I'd have fun experimenting with modular components but then I realized that yes, it would be too strappy. Then I thought about their straightjacket and again, more fiddling round than I would like. So I decided not to go down that path and made the choice to get a fully featured bag - the 44 Mag - and use the PALs on the back and a 30L dry bag in the meat shelf for extra space.
Have you used other frame packs (Exo, KUIU, Mystery Ranch, etc)?

Just asking as someone that recently tried Kifaru (Duplex Lite and 44 Mag) and frankly hated both the bag and the frame.

Many love their stuff, and I am certain they have 100% valid reasons, but it was not for me.

fatlander

WKR
Have you used other frame packs (Exo, KUIU, Mystery Ranch, etc)?

Just asking as someone that recently tried Kifaru (Duplex Lite and 44 Mag) and frankly hated both the bag and the frame.

Many love their stuff, and I am certain they have 100% valid reasons, but it was not for me.

I also had 44 mag and a duplex light, among a lot of kifaru bags and tactical frame. There’s definitely more out there. After trying a stone glacier frame, I was blown away. Sold my kiffy and ordered the SG. Currently I’ve got a Stone Glacier 5900 and just picked up an exo k3 4800 for a heck of a deal.

Exo has the best bag layout by a long shot in my opinion. I tried the exo and my sg head to head a couple years ago and liked the stone glacier frame a little better. I’m going to play with this exo some to see if I can dial it in as comfortable as the SG. If nothing else, I’m going to see if I can make the exo bag work on the SG frame.

OP
N

nutz

FNG
I also had 44 mag and a duplex light, among a lot of kifaru bags and tactical frame. There’s definitely more out there. After trying a stone glacier frame, I was blown away. Sold my kiffy and ordered the SG. Currently I’ve got a Stone Glacier 5900 and just picked up an exo k3 4800 for a heck of a deal.

Exo has the best bag layout by a long shot in my opinion. I tried the exo and my sg head to head a couple years ago and liked the stone glacier frame a little better. I’m going to play with this exo some to see if I can dial it in as comfortable as the SG. If nothing else, I’m going to see if I can make the exo bag work on the SG frame.

It will be my first frame pack. Actually I might first get a Seek Outside because their frames go well in daypack mode, however I am not a fan of minimalist packs and that's all Stone Glacier and Seek Outside have on offer.

OP
N

nutz

FNG
thanks flatlander and GunsRFun. What a great problem to have: choosing between awesome Made in USA packs!

LoggerDan

WKR
I have used the camp bag as a stand alone with a duplex without a grabbit quite a bit. I used two compression straps from the bottom

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I pointed that out and they said the wording needs to be updated.
Gotcha. I was confused because you said you contacted Seek Outside, not Kifaru, but that makes more sense now. For what it’s worth, I have the duplex lite and Hoodlum with two of the belt pouches on the face of the pack and an Exo K4 lid. I also keep two extra k clip compression straps either for strapping things down or holding meat against the frame better. I’ve been really happy with the setup, especially since adding the K4 lid a week ago.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Croben. When you have time, could you post a photo of the K4 lid on your Hoodlem. Interested in seeing how it works.
Thanks -Rufus

OP
N

nutz

FNG
Gotcha. I was confused because you said you contacted Seek Outside, not Kifaru, but that makes more sense now. For what it’s worth, I have the duplex lite and Hoodlum with two of the belt pouches on the face of the pack and an Exo K4 lid. I also keep two extra k clip compression straps either for strapping things down or holding meat against the frame better. I’ve been really happy with the setup, especially since adding the K4 lid a week ago.
ah sorry yes I meant Kifaru I contacted.
Your setup sounds nice.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Croben. When you have time, could you post a photo of the K4 lid on your Hoodlem. Interested in seeing how it works.
Thanks -Rufus
Rufus, this is how I currently have it attached and it works. I like the straps so I can extend them and the lid up if I fill the snow collar up. I might remove the straps and K-clips and just attach a buckle to the top loop on the frame and the other end straight to the lid for shorter hunts with less gear.

Attachments

• B0B8F649-E29B-4FF7-8C64-F8BA0A82B2E4.jpeg
    B0B8F649-E29B-4FF7-8C64-F8BA0A82B2E4.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 9E97ACA8-F7BD-406E-B04C-815B478D33B5.jpeg
    9E97ACA8-F7BD-406E-B04C-815B478D33B5.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 5474BCAE-FC59-4994-B6D5-5B40308DC514.jpeg
    5474BCAE-FC59-4994-B6D5-5B40308DC514.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 27

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Rufus, this is how I currently have it attached and it works. I like the straps so I can extend them and the lid up if I fill the snow collar up. I might remove the straps and K-clips and just attach a buckle to the top loop on the frame and the other end straight to the lid for shorter hunts with less gear.
Thanks croben. That shows what I was looking for. -Rufus

It will be my first frame pack. Actually I might first get a Seek Outside because their frames go well in daypack mode, however I am not a fan of minimalist packs and that's all Stone Glacier and Seek Outside have on offer.
Can you explain how the Seek Outside is more favorable than a Kifaru for daypack mode? Ease of conversion?

Not sure its relevant but it occurs to me the SO pack layout is similar to your original thread title....minimalist main bag (like Camp Bag but waterproof material), Talon (like a Sherman), lid....