Does Idaho allow you to return OTC tags prior to season

creekchub

FNG
Hello,

If you successfully purchase an OTC Idaho Elk tag, do you have the ability to return it prior to season if you chose not to go hunt the state?

Thanks

I don’t believe you can return for just changing mind and still get all or most of your money back. If you have injury or something that prevents ability to go. Details are in the regulation pdf at Idaho Fish and Game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, I just saw last year there were returned tags that went on sale closer to season and was wondering if there were rules around that

Thanks for the replies

Refund Policy

No refunds will be made on resident licenses, tags or permits. Nonresident hunting licenses and deer/elk tags may be refunded less issuance fees and a $50 processing fee, in the event of:
• Illness or injury that disables a license holder for the entire applicable hunting season.
• Military deployment of license holder due to armed conflict.
• Death of the license holder’s parent, spouse or child.

Tags and license must be returned with proof (death certificate, obituary, written justification by a licensed medical doctor, or copy of military orders). Hunting license fees will not be refunded after the license is used to apply for a controlled hunt or to buy a turkey, mountain lion, bear or gray wolf tag. The request must be postmarked by December 31 of the year in which the license was valid, except for “event of death” refund, which must be submitted within 1 year of the death. A controlled hunt permit and tag may be made available in the same hunt for purchase by an immediate family member of a person who died before using his or her tag. Contact Licenses at (208) 334-2592. If a refund is requested for any other reason, only the tag fees (not the license or permit fee) may be refunded at the following sliding scale rate:
• Postmarked before April 1 – 75 percent refund.
• Postmarked April 1 through June 30 – 50 percent refund.
• Postmarked July 1 through August 31 – 25 percent refund.
• Postmarked September 1 through December 31–No refund.
For more information please visit https://idfg.idaho.gov/ nonresident-refund-information

Don’t forget Idaho has a fee attached to the returned tags. This is not included in the return fee you will receive. In 2016 I had a bull A tag, was involved in a near death car Crash in July. Was going to return tags in Aug. I understood the % of the return and the dates. But the attached fee would have made my return 0.

Back