Does elk meat make others fart more?

Okay people....as a family we can stint up the house after a wonderful blueberry compote backstrap dinner, or any other possible way to cook...with me leading the way.

Do I have a medical issue or ar others the same?

Solutions?

I have found a dietary supplement that seems to help. Super Seed, Garden of Life.

Thoughts?

Swede

WKR
I have never heard of elk meat causing gas problems for anyone. Since it is effecting your wife also, I suspect it is something else, or a preperation issue. Before I ran off to the doctor I would consider what foods you were eating, and eliminate different items that you don't normally have for dinner.

sk1

WKR
i don't have an issue, but one guy i work with is not alloud to eat it at home per his wife.....eats all his elk meat at work, and believe me it's for a reason.....that sh** stinks! totally messes up his guts big time for whatever reason

smitho

FNG
Never noticed any difference with elk meat but deer definitely gives me a distinct aroma that gets my family all upset with me.

Swede

WKR
I have been thinking about your question since Church today. I asked my wife who is a micro-biologist, and she suggests the reason could be due to bacteria in the meat. That brings up questions to me about recovery and preperation. Did you get the animal cleaned and cooled right away after it was dead? Was the meat kept cold until frozen in a timely order? Was feces or other sources of bacteria kept away from the meat at all times after it was killed? If you answered no to any of the above questions, then throw out the meat unless the bacteria is now being introduced during final preparation. In the event it is getting contaminated in the kitchen, then be careful and make extra sure your meat is always clean and healthy. One of the most common signs of spoiled meat is a "gamey" taste. Elk should not taste gamey. The mature bulls I have killed in peak rut have all been excellent eating. It is sad, but I still see carcasses being transported and hung with the hide on for extended periods of time.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
No problem with elk. But let me tell ya, that no sugar added diet ice cream will give you the ability to inflate a hot air baloon.

akrdkill

WKR
seems to me that when i eat a diet thats primarily game meat i don't tend to get gas, but if i get off & start eating beef & what not & start back on game meat i tend to have a little.......same goes when i have beef after eating a bit of game meat it tends to disrupt the system....i prefer to stick to game as much as possible.

OP
M
The meat was meticulously handled and has no game meat flavor. It is truly wonderful. So I am not worried about bacterial contamination. However it reiterates the fact that we all need to be crazy careful with caring for the carcas. That said....you give me a cracker and I will pass gas....so I think I should rename my user name to fartboy! Makes it hard to stalk some days!

I posted that question because I notice an uptick in the flatus production on elk nights........well worth it in every way.

I was wondering if others also experienced the same thing.

Swede

WKR
The cute lady in the TV ad says "take Beeno before (dinner) and there will be no gas". I would try that first and if that does not work ask your doctor for a recommendation the next time you go see him for a check-up.

Swede

WKR
Posting so much on a thread like this probably says more about me than I would like to admit, but can you give a trusted friend a package of your elk meat and find out if it affects him the same way? I would recommend you invite the friend over for dinner, but if you and your wife are both tooting away, you could lose a buddy and that would not be good. lol

OP
M
Hahah. Okay. Funny post I guess. Sorry to bring the age down a bit. But I have to admit that I have always thought I should ask a doc.....based off everyone posts....Might be a good idea!

Chris Roe

FNG
Without exposing myself to TOO much criticism, yep - game meat affects me the same way!

Although I've gone through a ton of "animal" nutrition and "digestive biology," this topic was one that came up with a doctor friend of mine. In a nutshell, what he said was this: Everyone's body "handles" the digestion of "food stuffs" differently; although all humans go through the same general process, we all have our unique blend of "gut" bacteria, enzymes, etc. and break down - and process - different things a little differently than others.

Some people internally process Sulfur, Methane, and other nutrients and by-products of digestion in a manner that doesn't "break them down" the way others do, and send those gases right on through, rather than "bundling" them shall-we-say. :p

Protein foods are the worst offenders (no pun intended). Depending on the TYPE of protein, some causes more affects than others; i.e. beef vs. elk/game vs. chicken vs fish, etc... OR... whey protein vs. other proteins. ...Wilderness Athlete Bars are AWESOME and I use them extensively each season, but the protein they use ends up creating a "hostile work environment" for the folks that I hunt with!!!! :) Other protein bars (with different protein) don't - or not as much.

...and dehydration only serves to exacerbate the situation! If you're the type of person with this "situation," FLOOD yourself with fluids before, during, and after eating (water - NOT beer!!! ...that'll only make it worse!!), and it'll greatly reduce the "issue." Also - BEANO and other things that are supposed to help with those things DO help a little for me, but - not everyone.

Funny topic - but one I used to use as a way to "prove" my opinions regarding scent-control clothing!!! LOL!!!

Chris Roe

My brother and his wife had the same prob with a deer he shot last year. Is it for steak or only ground? Theirs was ground and I think it might have been the added beef fat that did them in