Does CZ still make the 457 American Combo (.22LR and 17hmr)

I’ve been looking for a good rifle for managing squirrels and have done a lot of reading on 22LRs. I was considering the American Precision, because of the price and its bolt action (which I prefer). When I started looking at ammo selections I quickly realized that there isn’t really any good non-lead ammo (I’m in California) that I can use for 22LR, or I should say a very limited selection that can be hit or miss for precision.

I then turned to 17hmr as a more viable option but with that comes a higher price for ammo (cheaper than my .270 ammo, but still way more than 22LR ammo).

I then found the perfect set up, CZ 457 American Combo. I can use the 22LR barrel for plinking and the 17HMR for hunting. The problem is I can’t seem to find the darn thing anywhere except some fake CZ websites. Did CZ discontinue selling it? I found one for sale on Gun Broker, but for almost double the MSRP.

If I buy a 457 American in 17hmr, can I still buy a 22LR barrel separate (assuming I can find one) and swap it out as-needed? Or can you only swap out the ‘combo’ one (I’m assuming you can, but would rather ask to be sure).

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

They pop up on CalGuns from time to time. There is a 455 combo for sale in Sac/Yuba area on there right now. No one is going to ship on that site.

Gave up on rimfire for squirrels, steel shot or a halfway decent air rifle.

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago in Idaho, I use to shoot a looottttt of ground squirrels in the desert, and mostly with a .223 Remington. After shooting a .17 HMR for a year, I realized I could have done all my squirrel killing with the .17 far cheaper, and with less hearing damage.

OP
FeatheredMonkey
Years ago in Idaho, I use to shoot a looottttt of ground squirrels in the desert, and mostly with a .223 Remington. After shooting a .17 HMR for a year, I realized I could have done all my squirrel killing with the .17 far cheaper, and with less hearing damage.
That’s great to hear. Thanks.

OP
FeatheredMonkey
But the one you want and then get another barrel. I ordered a 17 HMR Barrel/Magazine combo from Eurooptic to go with my American 22LR this week for like $150.
What are good places to look for barrels? I’ll check out Eurooptic, thanks.

ChrisAU

WKR
What are good places to look for barrels? I’ll check out Eurooptic, thanks.

They are usually very hard to find but the 20" 1/2-28 threaded 17HMR barrel showed up this week and I couldn't resist. Looks like they still have a lot of options:

Todays email advert

Cz USA sells barrels direct from cz, they come in and out of stock. I bought the 457 American synthetic and a scout. I have a decent little 457 collection...

2 actions
American synthetic stock
American walnut stock
Scout stock
And
A 20" threaded .22, .22 mag and .17hmr
A 16" threaded. 22
And a 24" .22 mag

Rimfire central classifieds is where I got most of my extras, they sell a lot of stuff for the 457s, sometimes u can find good deals. Remember you need a different magazine for .17hmr too, barrel sets usually come with one but if buying used you might need to find one.

Consider ordering the varmint one if you are gonna be doing a lot of shooting.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I struggled to find a decently priced combo set, so wound up buying an American .17HMR and then source the. 22lr and .22WMR barrels separately.

End of the day, I have other .22lrs so the .17HMR barrel lives on the American almost full time

OP
FeatheredMonkey
I struggled to find a decently priced combo set, so wound up buying an American .17HMR and then source the. 22lr and .22WMR barrels separately.

End of the day, I have other .22lrs so the .17HMR barrel lives on the American almost full time
It looks like I might go this route, buy the .17hmr since I’ll use it the most for squirrels, and keep an eye out for. .22lr for future use. If you ever want to part with your spare barrel, I’ll be needing one in the near future.

ChrisAU

WKR
It looks like I might go this route, buy the .17hmr since I’ll use it the most for squirrels, and keep an eye out for. .22lr for future use. If you ever want to part with your spare barrel, I’ll be needing one in the near future.

I plan on selling my American 1/2-20 threaded barrel with a 1/2-28 adapter once I get my 17 HMR barrel. I have another CZ 457 22LR that fills my needs there (below).

IMG_8456.jpeg

Axlrod

WKR
I have 6 of the 457's. I have put aftermarket barrels on most of them. I have a new 17 HMR off an American, and I might have a 22 left- I will look.