Does anyone on here have experience with river hunting in thick bush country for elk?

Elite

WKR
Would love to ask a few questions and possibly get some tips.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Probably like hunting in alder thickets in the mountains, not real fun but elk like them.

People hunt in the Breaks that way all the time. You can glass from above and then stalk in, or find likely game trails and sit on them to ambush those that pass.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I was hoping to ask a few questions with how to hunt elk from a river that is straight thick bush with really no glassing opportunities.

Would be using a jet boat

madcalfe

WKR
I was hoping to ask a few questions with how to hunt elk from a river that is straight thick bush with really no glassing opportunities.

Would be using a jet boat

drift and bugle. beach the boat and bugle. pick a spot and hike.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
drift and bugle. beach the boat and bugle. pick a spot and hike.

I was curious about where to set up camp. It’s dangerous jet boating in the dark so I am curious how everyone gets to the location early in the morning or boat back to camp after dark

madcalfe

WKR
6FDA0878-2BBF-4EEA-AA22-3CC2D54EF210.jpeg
Just gotta get ya some good high beams lol
But I have a camper top and diesel heater in my boat so I sleep in it a lot.
If it’s a mellow deep river night boating isn’t bad at all with decent lights.

Act like your boat is a pickup and the river your backroad: Travel and look for tracks or the elk themselves. If you spot elk the boat WILL spook them from a good distance but that's fine. Shore up a little ways away and put a stock on and set up if you feel you're within 150 yards (or whatever your style/ preference is). Don't over complicate this, keep it simple: Spot and cut the distance. I don't call from the boat, but I have also not tried either. If you're not comfortable boating at night then bring camping gear and pre-scout for a camping spot for base camp. Your base camp could be a starting point where you just need your boat to get there and then do the rest of your hunting on foot, as the best thing about a river boat is that it can get you to extremely remote areas of the backcountry. If you can't get back to base, prepare for a night out, whether in the boat or pitch a tent on shore. River boat hunting is a special way to hunt that gets you into areas others can't, good luck!

WRO

WKR
I used to hunt the Oregon coast a lot, we hunted tracks if we were going in blind, follow fresh ones with the wind in your face and work slowly. Listen allot elk are loud.

Wrench

WKR
I've found that elk will water in rivers, but typically if the river noise is cover sound.....they're not bedding there.

Remember that rivers tend to drift scent pretty hard so don't expect to coe in from above in the morning.

Weldor

WKR
No rivers here, but the Manzanita. Elk love the cover, sometimes impossible to see them until they blow out. As my partner says"exercise in futility" LOL.