Does anyone have advice on calling Blacktail at the Northern Oregon coast.

Dshore

FNG
I am just getting started with the calling game. I know rattling is effective. However plastic rattles aren't the same as real horns. Also know some folks like to work a doe bleat call. Most of my hunting involves covering lots of ground, and slowly walking tall dark timber. Old roads as well. Glassing clear cut edges and bottoms. Working reprod patches with 10 year timber.

I know that Tom Ryle (a legendary PNW blacktail hunter) swears by doe bleats. He prefers the midrange “social” calls rather than the fawn-in-distress or estrus calls, because they’re more all-purpose and therefore cast a wider net. The one he uses isn’t made anymore, but people do swear by “the Can:”

I would actually consider using a jackrabbit in distress call. Not a 30 minute set but shorter and less frequent.

Have unintentionally called in a ton of of Coues and desert mule deer over the years while predator calling.

A few years ago I was watching a hunting show where they were hunting mule deer. The guide would use a jackrabbit in distress call (non-electronic) and the deer would come check it out.

Just be mindful that you may call in something else. May actually give this a go on my deer hunt in a couple of weeks:

I like to find multiple different types of landscapes nearby. For example, I like being close to where there is reprod, big timber and maybe a fresh cut. Bedding, feeding, cover. Preferably all of these things touching each other. I personally have never see blacktails fight super hard, so when I rattle I rattle pretty calmly, and not overly aggressive like you'll see whitetail guys do on tv.