Do you use a footprint?

JNDEER

WKR
Do you use a backpacking tent footprint? If not, what denier is the floor on your tent?

deciding to either go super light with/without a footprint or just go lightweight with a thicker floor and no footprint.

concerns are specifically popping my air pad.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ll use a footprint in a few situations
- expecting a lot of moisture, footprint will cut down on condensation
- weight is not a concern/close to truck camping
- expecting especially rugged/rocky terrain

Other than that just take some time and clear the area well for the tent and should be fine. Currently using a Hille Niak but have used ultra light tents with thin floors. Another option is taking a piece of tyvek/DCF or something similar and placing under just your pad, though I’m not sure how much lighter that’d be vs a footprint.

I usually have a lightweight tarp from Walmart or a piece off tyvek house wrap in my pack to put under the tent if the ground is wet.I have never tried a footprint

I use one just out of habit and to protect the floor/ help with condensation. I use a Big Agnes copper spur and my footprint covers the vestibule area so it adds a clean space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
I use one just out of habit and to protect the floor/ help with condensation. I use a Big Agnes copper spur and my footprint covers the vestibule area so it adds a clean space.

The copper spur seems to be the overall go to especially with the design. This was my delima. The floor is 15/20 denier. When you add the footprint or tyvek it adds 7-8oz. Puts you in the 4lb + range. Or you can buy other similar design models from other reputable companies and save a few ounces and have a 30-40 denier floor without the footprint.

just can’t find a lot of discussion on the topic and the backpacking forums don’t always cross over to hunting cause they typically camp at designated camp spots not some random spot under a tree on a hillside.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
I’ll use a footprint in a few situations
- expecting a lot of moisture, footprint will cut down on condensation
- weight is not a concern/close to truck camping
- expecting especially rugged/rocky terrain

Other than that just take some time and clear the area well for the tent and should be fine. Currently using a Hille Niak but have used ultra light tents with thin floors. Another option is taking a piece of tyvek/DCF or something similar and placing under just your pad, though I’m not sure how much lighter that’d be vs a footprint.
Interesting . Never thought about just having a small piece specific for just under my pad. Thanks for that tip

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I only use one for protecting the tent if I'm using one with a floor. When I'm using a floorless, I just put my pad in an ultralight bivy and don't worry about it. I remove anything sharp that I see and have never had a pad leak.

22lr

WKR
I carry a light tarp to pitch while glassing in the rain, it doubles as my footprint, clean space to butcher, emergency shelter and a good ole fashioned tarp... for all the other things a tarp is useful for.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a piece of tyvek, not much bigger than my sleeping pad so it is not bulky at all. May try the window plastic?

mlgc20

WKR
I never use one. My tent floors and pads have all survived just fine without them. No need for me to carry the weight.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
I never use one. My tent floors and pads have all survived just fine without them. No need for me to carry the weight.
What tent and what floor? 15-20 denier or thicker 40+?
Trying to find if there is a “sweet spot” for needing or not needing a footprint.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
I only use one for protecting the tent if I'm using one with a floor. When I'm using a floorless, I just put my pad in an ultralight bivy and don't worry about it. I remove anything sharp that I see and have never had a pad leak.
Not sure how concerned I am with protecting the tent floor as opposed to protecting the pad.

interesting. I wonder what thickness your bivy is? Which bivy? Could help to see what denier thickness is needed to protect the pad.

OP
J

JNDEER

WKR
I carry a light tarp to pitch while glassing in the rain, it doubles as my footprint, clean space to butcher, emergency shelter and a good ole fashioned tarp... for all the other things a tarp is useful for.
I am not an ultralight backpack hunter. But looking to buy another niche backpacking tent- I can honestly say I have never thought of carrying a tarp- even a small one in the backcountry. Although very useful, that just seems like a lot of weight.

mlgc20

WKR
What tent and what floor? 15-20 denier or thicker 40+?
Trying to find if there is a “sweet spot” for needing or not needing a footprint.
My primary tent for the last several years has been the Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum. 12 denier floor. Over a hundred nights in it. Has a couple of pin holes and that's it. Never used the footprint with it. Or any type of ground sheet. Just pay attention to where I set it up,

22lr

WKR
I am not an ultralight backpack hunter. But looking to buy another niche backpacking tent- I can honestly say I have never thought of carrying a tarp- even a small one in the backcountry. Although very useful, that just seems like a lot of weight.
They make some nice lightweight ones, but those are pricey. I just use a basic poly coated tarp from Cabelas that weighs about 10oz for a 9x7. You can get em lighter for sure... but mine also cost like $35...

I'm not packing it on any sheep hunts, but it sure comes in handy for a basic 3-7 day trip.

Sorry for brief sidebar. I'd like to pick up your Vortex mini spotter but I can't recall my old lurker login so I had to make a new profile.

I use a thick tarp under my 8 person Cabelas guide tent I use for car camping. I use the zpacks dyneema foot print under my duplex for backpacking. It doesn’t weigh much and on a rainy day i can tie it up to eat under.