Do you take your suppressor off?

So I have a Tikka TX3 lite in 7mm rem mag with the d18 fluted barrel that is 24” long with a scythe ti that I plan on using in Colorado for second season. My current soft gun cases are not long enough to fit this setup. My current plan is to take the suppressor off for travel to Co and then every day while hunting if I’m using an atv or truck to get from my base camp to trail head.

What recommendations does everyone have for dealing with longer guns? Or guns that are too long with a suppressor?

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Are you worried about a zero shift from constantly taking the suppressor on and off?

Last year, I tracked the zero on a scope over the course of a year, shooting a group at least once a week with the rifle riding in my truck 100% of the time, enduring the daily abuse of the washboarded dirt roads that are my commute.I took the suppressor on and off over 50 times and never recorded a zero shift because of it.

I have rifles that, with the suppressor on, won’t even fit in my first-generation Tacoma. For a long time I ran a suppressor pouch on the outside of my backpack and screwed the suppressor in when I felt it was necessary.

I’m a huge fan of chopping barrels. But beyond that, a good long case from Armageddon, TAB, or a hard case from Pelican or similar will do you well

Yes you could take the can on and off but I found that to be a pain

Last edited:
OP
WiscoHoundsman
I have tested it and don’t have a shift when removing and putting back on.

There is no chopping the barrel as it’s fluted so I would have to get a new one. Maybe for next year but for now I will look at the rifle cases mentioned above. Or just keep taking it on and off.

In Wisconsin it’s not a problem for me as we don’t need rifles to be cased in a vehicle

Take it off every time I’m done shooting. Use the same suppressor on multiple guns. Never noticed an issue but I’m also not shooting past 500 yards target shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I've tested my ab raptor 10 for removal poi shift. Haven't observed any. That being said i usually leave it on my 18" barrel.

I have tested it and don’t have a shift when removing and putting back on.

There is no chopping the barrel as it’s fluted so I would have to get a new one. Maybe for next year but for now I will look at the rifle cases mentioned above. Or just keep taking it on and off.

In Wisconsin it’s not a problem for me as we don’t need rifles to be cased in a vehicle

If you don't have a shift when taking off and putting on, then you have multiple options.
1. Get a longer case. The one linked above works well.
2. Take it on and off. That is what I do most of the time and my barrels are all shorter.
3. Chop the barrel. Even though it is fluted, you can still chop into the flutes on the D-18 profile barrel and be just fine. There are multiple pictures of barrels that are that way floating around this Forum.
4. Do what I do and chop the barrel and still take it on and off when transporting.

You and I have basically the same rifle. Mine is 51" long with my TBAC Ultra 7 using the CB mount. I have cases that are long enough, however I take my can off all the time with no problems. I can personally vouch for the Armageddon Gear cases. They protect and are extremely durable. I have several.

Now for my experience. The TBAC Ultra 7 mentioned above is using the CB mount and gets moved between a couple of bolt guns and a few ARs. I have a SilencerCo Saker 5.56, Omega 300, and Hybrid 46 that all mount on the ASR mounts. These cans get moved around among several more AR's of various calibers. The Hybrid 46 even gets switched out for use on pistols. I have an OPS INC 12th Model that gets moved between 3 AR's and a bolt gun regularly. Lastly, my TBAC 338 Ultra using the 338BA brake gets moved between 4 different caliber conversions for my DTA SRSA1. So while a FNG here, I have been shooting a long time with suppressors. I do not see POI changes from removing my suppressors regularly. The common feature among all of the mounts I use is there is a taper to align the can. My direct thread cans stay mounted on a couple of dedicated truck guns.

To practice for my WY elk hunt last year I spent weeks going to the range and shooting from 275 yards to 500 yards. I went through 70 rounds in the weeks leading up to the hunt. I would set up my Elk vitals steel hanger and walk around the field to different spots to shoot from. I would set my rifle up on the tripod, range the target, adjust if necessary and make the shot. Each session would be 6-8 rounds. So do what works for you. I do recommend you test your setup.